Journey to a new style...

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Okay! I've been recently invited to grade this Wednesday to 2nd kyu! Feeling ready but still nervous. Have worked very hard on drills, bunkai and kata requirements, and unbeknownst to me part of my grading was sort of today haha.

We had our sparring class and Shihan sparred a few rounds with me to test me a bit, was some good hard sparring and he certainly tested me, was really fun. Was only a couple of rounds but he really pushed me. Even though it's not a big sparring-centred club, it was great to have that element tested a bit today, and I felt like I could hold my own well.

See how Wednesday goes! Kyu gradings aren't held on a separate day but during regular class which is fine, and are less of a survival test and more of a technical one and a focus on understanding the art. Still requiring baseline fitness though. Basically to see that you are already that grade rather than 'testing' for it, which is kinda nice of an approach :)
Congrats, Simon. Good luck with the grading although luck has nothing to do with it. Cheers !

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
All went very very well in the grading, I passed :). Hard work and preparation and all went great.

Was quite nervous but it dissipated a bit during warmup. Was certainly pushed and it was tough at times, but felt confident. Only the odd stuffup that I recognised straight away. Loved doing the Sanchin kata with shime aspect. Was definitely nothing like one of my old Kyokushin gradings but was still pushed. Basic technique, formal and sparring drills, movement, kata, bunkai, general understanding, (sparring was the other day), and done. At the very end was asked to do the kata for this grade while everyone watched which was great.

Really honoured to receive the new rank :)

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Also, still can't believe it... but waterfall training tomorrow! YUP! Something I've aaaalways wanted to do, and was invited by some of my old Kyokushin family. Really excited :)

download.jpeg.jpg

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Also, still can't believe it... but waterfall training tomorrow! YUP! Something I've aaaalways wanted to do, and was invited by some of my old Kyokushin family. Really excited :)

View attachment 28297
Waterfall training was SUCH an amazing experience! :) It wasn't long at all, and we went up in groups of about 3 (due to lack of room underneath the water) and just did one kata under the falls: Tensho. Very fitting! Was harder to actually climb over to the waterfall than actually being under the water haha, very slippery rocks... so that was a big challenge. But we made it, can tick that off the list as it was definitely on there :)

20220403_105046.jpg
20220403_113926.jpg

AIKIKENJITSU

Green Belt
Reaction score
Okay... the time has come!

I'm finally (after much, much hesitation and deliberation haha..) enquiring about new styles, as I'm honestly just itching to get back into dojo training.. and feel mostly ready health-wise.

It's been an incredibly rough, painful, hellish and emotional 8 months or so.. and I still have a bit to go in terms of recovery, but I feel ready enough to try getting into training properly again. And it really marks a big step for me, as I definitely wasn't in this position a little while ago.

So the plan is to try a style for about a month or so to get the feel of it and see if it clicks with me. Very different to how I decided before, which was just training because I 'felt like I should', out of obligation almost. So suffice it to say, I'm very excited :).

I've gotten a call back from a karate dojo just around the corner from me, I asked if i can sit in and watch and they said people tend to get more out of just giving it a go, so they invited me to train so looks like I'm training!

It sounds really awesome, it's a small dojo, and has gone through a few changes of style affiliation over time, and I think they operate more independently now, originally he trained in Kyokushin (and personally graded to Shodan under Sosai Oyama!), then Ashihara, Shintaiikudo, and taught in all of these, now with all his experience has organically sort of formed his own style, which incorporates all his previous styles plus including some Aikido principles as well (which he teaches as well).

Definitely sounds more up my alley, I'm really excited :)
I've been studying and teaching for many years and I know of Oyama. It may be for you and it may not. The way I found my art was to check as many dojos as they were in the area. When I stopped looking was when I found my art of Kenpo karate. The principles of Aikido are excellent as a add on to a kicking and punching martial art. I studied Aikido for a short time.
Sifu

AIKIKENJITSU

Green Belt
Reaction score
Okay... the time has come!

I'm finally (after much, much hesitation and deliberation haha..) enquiring about new styles, as I'm honestly just itching to get back into dojo training.. and feel mostly ready health-wise.

It's been an incredibly rough, painful, hellish and emotional 8 months or so.. and I still have a bit to go in terms of recovery, but I feel ready enough to try getting into training properly again. And it really marks a big step for me, as I definitely wasn't in this position a little while ago.

So the plan is to try a style for about a month or so to get the feel of it and see if it clicks with me. Very different to how I decided before, which was just training because I 'felt like I should', out of obligation almost. So suffice it to say, I'm very excited :).

I've gotten a call back from a karate dojo just around the corner from me, I asked if i can sit in and watch and they said people tend to get more out of just giving it a go, so they invited me to train so looks like I'm training!

It sounds really awesome, it's a small dojo, and has gone through a few changes of style affiliation over time, and I think they operate more independently now, originally he trained in Kyokushin (and personally graded to Shodan under Sosai Oyama!), then Ashihara, Shintaiikudo, and taught in all of these, now with all his experience has organically sort of formed his own style, which incorporates all his previous styles plus including some Aikido principles as well (which he teaches as well).

Definitely sounds more up my alley, I'm really excited :)
When you find the right one, then you may study it and practice it forever! If you can, you might also check out American Kenpo or Tracy Kenpo.
Sifu

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've been studying and teaching for many years and I know of Oyama. It may be for you and it may not. The way I found my art was to check as many dojos as they were in the area. When I stopped looking was when I found my art of Kenpo karate. The principles of Aikido are excellent as a add on to a kicking and punching martial art. I studied Aikido for a short time.
Sifu
Very true, not everything is for everyone. It is interesting how we come across our place huh! Have explored a little aiki practice, and would love to do more :)
When you find the right one, then you may study it and practice it forever! If you can, you might also check out American Kenpo or Tracy Kenpo.
Sifu
Ah I see you haven't read through the thread to see the whole journey. I don't blame ya it's 22 pages haha, but I have found my home style and dojo.

Wouldn't think there'd be American Kenpo in Australia haha, but cheers for the recommendations appreciate it ;)

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Waterfall training was SUCH an amazing experience! :) It wasn't long at all, and we went up in groups of about 3 (due to lack of room underneath the water) and just did one kata under the falls: Tensho. Very fitting! Was harder to actually climb over to the waterfall than actually being under the water haha, very slippery rocks... so that was a big challenge. But we made it, can tick that off the list as it was definitely on there :)

View attachment 28304View attachment 28305
Osu, Simon !

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just a gratitude post, loving training and my dojo so much :)

I love that it's structured but also very for your own personal style and encouraging your own interpretation. Even though kata is taught specifically my instructor allows for your own unique timing/rhythm/way of moving as long as it doesn't stray from what the movement is about/the principles.

Even sent a clip of a drill from some online training I did recently to my instructor, so we worked on that in class! Very open to student suggestions, feedback and things we'd like to work on, while still drilling things we need to work on.

Loving it so much :)

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Huge day... grading today, successfully achieved 1st Kyu. That... was...... hard haha. It's amazing how even though you put in immense of amounts of training leading up to it: basics, technique, kata, theory, principles, application, partner drills, sparring, endurance/stamina, cardio, mobility, and how you can still struggle regardless.

Was really tested, and I wouldn't want it any other way. I think it means so much more that it doesn't go perfectly how you thought, thinking my cardio should hold up etc, yet minutes in and my legs felt like lead, and the body did not want to cooperate haha. You summon an unseen, but deeply felt aspect that drives and accompanies you.

I guess you can't really ever fully prepare, the only real preparation is the willingness to undergo what lies ahead. Even spilling my red electrolyte drink all over my white gi pants just before the grading I'm pretty sure wasn't in the schedule!!!

Really struggled in parts but made it through. Sparring was awesome, 4 rounds and last up was one of the instructors who wanted to make sure I worked for it and was tested. He really gave me a good fight, and I was buggered by that point so didn't spar 100% how I would've liked to, but did very well holding my own. All the instructors were incredibly encouraging and said my grading was superb. Huge day, this one meant alot, and was very emotional with tears afterwards.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Huge day... grading today, successfully achieved 1st Kyu. That... was...... hard haha. It's amazing how even though you put in immense of amounts of training leading up to it: basics, technique, kata, theory, principles, application, partner drills, sparring, endurance/stamina, cardio, mobility, and how you can still struggle regardless.

Was really tested, and I wouldn't want it any other way. I think it means so much more that it doesn't go perfectly how you thought, thinking my cardio should hold up etc, yet minutes in and my legs felt like lead, and the body did not want to cooperate haha. You summon an unseen, but deeply felt aspect that drives and accompanies you.

I guess you can't really ever fully prepare, the only real preparation is the willingness to undergo what lies ahead. Even spilling my red electrolyte drink all over my white gi pants just before the grading I'm pretty sure wasn't in the schedule!!!

Really struggled in parts but made it through. Sparring was awesome, 4 rounds and last up was one of the instructors who wanted to make sure I worked for it and was tested. He really gave me a good fight, and I was buggered by that point so didn't spar 100% how I would've liked to, but did very well holding my own. All the instructors were incredibly encouraging and said my grading was superb. Huge day, this one meant alot, and was very emotional with tears afterwards.
Congrats!

At the doorway now!

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

well done mate...well done open a Fosters & listen to a song from Men at work. my favourit song from them...

well done !

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I love a good, difficult test. Good work!!

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
well done mate...well done open a Fosters & listen to a song from Men at work. my favourit song from them...

well done !
Thanks mate, and hahaha well done you've really captured some Aussie vibes there! 🤣

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Took me over an hour to get through this thread but definitely appreciate the perspective on your journey to find the right for you school. Thanks for sharing!
Oh that really means alot that you took the time to read through, really appreciate that alot! I'm definitely glad I didn't settle when I easily could have

Latest Discussions