Journey to a new style...

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
We've got our demonstration day this Saturday, possibly 120 people showing up and training! Mainly so the kids can show all their family how far they've come, but also for the senior students to demonstrate some advanced stuff.

I got some boards cut up today and going to do 2 breaks, seiken tsuki and yoko geri. Never done a yoko geri break so it should be good fun! Also performing a style outside our system, Kanku-sho. It has two big jumps in it, so I think that and the board breaks the kids will really love haha. I know how much certain events can register and stay with kids so I feel it a responsibility and an honour to demonstrate some stuff.

Nervous but looking forward to it!

tkdroamer

Purple Belt
Reaction score
We've got our demonstration day this Saturday, possibly 120 people showing up and training! Mainly so the kids can show all their family how far they've come, but also for the senior students to demonstrate some advanced stuff.

I got some boards cut up today and going to do 2 breaks, seiken tsuki and yoko geri. Never done a yoko geri break so it should be good fun! Also performing a style outside our system, Kanku-sho. It has two big jumps in it, so I think that and the board breaks the kids will really love haha. I know how much certain events can register and stay with kids so I feel it a responsibility and an honour to demonstrate some stuff.

I hope you have a blast!

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
So... just attempted a break with one of the boards just to make sure it breaks well. And it... did NOT break... 😞. Really hurt, don't think I've broken my hand but it has swollen a bit. That has NEVER happened before, every break I've done has been successful. My technique seemed to be really good, wrist doesn't hurt and it didn't cave, but the board just didn't break.

I wasn't sure about this wood... it's pine, but it has layers throughout it. And I was hoping this wasn't some way to reinforce and make the wood stronger... but I feel like that's what happened.

My confidence is a bit shattered at the moment ugh.. might just bring my rebreakable board and do an elbow and sidekick break. There's a lesson here I know, not everything always goes to plan haha.

Anyone else think this wood may not be ideal? (Notice the layering with each board)

20221107_135143.jpg

tkdroamer

Purple Belt
Reaction score
So... just attempted a break with one of the boards just to make sure it breaks well. And it... did NOT break... 😞. Really hurt, don't think I've broken my hand but it has swollen a bit. That has NEVER happened before, every break I've done has been successful. My technique seemed to be really good, wrist doesn't hurt and it didn't cave, but the board just didn't break.

I wasn't sure about this wood... it's pine, but it has layers throughout it. And I was hoping this wasn't some way to reinforce and make the wood stronger... but I feel like that's what happened.

My confidence is a bit shattered at the moment ugh.. might just bring my rebreakable board and do an elbow and sidekick break. There's a lesson here I know, not everything always goes to plan haha.

Anyone else think this wood may not be ideal? (Notice the layering with each board)

View attachment 29275
That's PLYWOOD!!! Layers of wood material built up in cross-grained sections. It is engineered wood made to have much stronger lateral loading. Completely different from the boards used for breaking, They are about 20%-30% glued. No wonder you did not break it.
You need this: 1x12x8' Pine Board

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I've never trained anywhere we had 120 people, much less could get that many to a demo. That sounds like a ton of fun!

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

View attachment 29275
Ow. That's plywood, and not suitable for your purposes. You want plain boards, cut across the grain, so the break will be in line with the natural weakness of the board. Plywood is cross-layered (grain of each layer at 90 degrees to its' neighbors'), specifically to prevent there being that natural weak point.

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's PLYWOOD!!! Layers of wood material built up in cross-grained sections. It is engineered wood made to have much stronger lateral loading. Completely different from the boards used for breaking, They are about 20%-30% glued. No wonder you did not break it.

Ow. That's plywood, and not suitable for your purposes. You want plain boards, cut across the grain, so the break will be in line with the natural weakness of the board. Plywood is cross-layered (grain of each layer at 90 degrees to its' neighbors'), specifically to prevent there being that natural weak point.
Yeah I thought so... ugh... I'll know for next time. Thanks guys, the link doesn't work @tkdroamer but I think I know what you mean.

Hey if anyone wants 12 really good boards you can have them?? Test your strength?? 💪🥇

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Demonstration Day went so well, such a beautiful day spent with wonderful people! Massive turnout, was a bit daunting, but all went well. Kanku-sho went perfect, a very dynamic athletic kata and I stuck the landing well in the jumps haha. Kids loved it and parents' feedback afterwards was so touching, telling me their eyes opened wide throughout the form. Some afterwards were even trying to do one of the moves haha.

Did some other demos too (sparring and other forms), but my instructor must have forgotten about my board breaks or maybe time was running out haha. Did a little speech at the end thanking my instructors and gave them a calligraphy piece each that I did. Lovely day :)

20221114_104105.jpg

20221114_104333.jpg

In full flight haha:
FB_IMG_1668239159843.jpg

IMG_5527.JPEG

tkdroamer

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Demonstration Day went so well, such a beautiful day spent with wonderful people! Massive turnout, was a bit daunting, but all went well. Kanku-sho went perfect, a very dynamic athletic kata and I stuck the landing well in the jumps haha. Kids loved it and parents' feedback afterwards was so touching, telling me their eyes opened wide throughout the form. Some afterwards were even trying to do one of the moves haha.

Did some other demos too (sparring and other forms), but my instructor must have forgotten about my board breaks or maybe time was running out haha. Did a little speech at the end thanking my instructors and gave them a calligraphy piece each that I did. Lovely day :)

View attachment 29304

View attachment 29303

In full flight haha:
View attachment 29302

View attachment 29305
Fantastic height on the jump! Excellent turnout.

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

View attachment 29275
Well as many people have already said, plywood not a good choice for board breaking. You want pine boards from a mill preferably that will cut them 11” x 12”. You want them rectangular so so don’t mistakenly layer the boards cross grain.

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well as many people have already said, plywood not a good choice for board breaking. You want pine boards from a mill preferably that will cut them 11” x 12”. You want them rectangular so so don’t mistakenly layer the boards cross grain.
Cheers mate, yeah I won't make that mistake again haha... hand still hasn't recovered! Still sore and knuckles still look a little weird from swelling, but I am functional now and it is improving slowly... wonder how long this sort of thing takes to heal, literally hitting a solid object. Bone bruises could be a couple of months I hear..

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score

View attachment 29304

View attachment 29303

In full flight haha:
View attachment 29302

View attachment 29305
The look on the kids faces is priceless. It's nice to know they can still be impressed, even in this day and age of cynics and smartphones.

Well done, dude. Color me also impressed.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Simon, that hair. I started going bald in my teens, man. Id kill for that hair.

That looks like some nice cabinet grade plywood, my man. Build something nice with it.

I’m glad that otherwise the demo went well. You look like you’re having a good time.
Saw somebody in my gym the other day wearing this, must have been almost 60.

That hair.

1668487232124.png

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Simon, that hair. I started going bald in my teens, man. Id kill for that hair.

That looks like some nice cabinet grade plywood, my man. Build something nice with it.

I’m glad that otherwise the demo went well. You look like you’re having a good time.
Hahaha cheers! It gets heavy so am choppin it all off soon, hitting summertime soon too haha.

I'll learn how to build stuff, and then possibly! Or I'll learn the perfect master technique over several years, and report back here letting you know I broke all the boards ;)

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes…laminations make it really strong (which is why they fold the steel in Japanese swords!)! Try unlaminated dry timber with an obvious straight grain and have them held with the grain held horizontally when you try and break them.

Wood/ceramic breaking is a bit of a trick, to be honest. Breaking freshly fired bricks is much easier than trying to break a brick that’s held you yard door open for 30 years and dried, straight grained boards easier than anything else.

When I was at school I had a photographer friend who wanted to do a strobe photo of me break 4-5 roof tiles with a knife hand. I’d never broken anything before (except the lady’s hearts 😉) but was confident in my abilities as I 3as a 1st Kyu in Wado Ryu at that point😏🤨. He set it all up on a table in a dark room where I’d have to hit the small stack with little spacers between each tile, in the pitch black. He opened the camera shutter and shouted ‘GO!’ I brought my knife hand down with great force and to flashes of bright light. My hand exploded in pain 😳😭 When we switched the lights on, we realised I’d smashed through the tiles effortlessly and hit the solid, unyielding tabletop which bl**dy hurt😂 I had to pick out shards of tile from my bleeding hand🤣

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score

View attachment 29304

View attachment 29303

In full flight haha:
View attachment 29302

View attachment 29305
You look great…very impressed! BUT, that is not a regulation Karate haircut 😑 You require a Williams (Jim Kelly) Afro, if you want to look cool.

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Cheers mate, yeah I won't make that mistake again haha... hand still hasn't recovered! Still sore and knuckles still look a little weird from swelling, but I am functional now and it is improving slowly... wonder how long this sort of thing takes to heal, literally hitting a solid object. Bone bruises could be a couple of months I hear..
Hopefully you didn’t fracture anything. A fracture can take 4-6 weeks to heal but possibly a year for the hand to feel 100%. If it’s just a bone bruise you got off lucky.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes…laminations make it really strong (which is why they fold the steel in Japanese swords!)! Try unlaminated dry timber with an obvious straight grain and have them held with the grain held horizontally when you try and break them.

Wood/ceramic breaking is a bit of a trick, to be honest. Breaking freshly fired bricks is much easier than trying to break a brick that’s held you yard door open for 30 years and dried, straight grained boards easier than anything else.

When I was at school I had a photographer friend who wanted to do a strobe photo of me break 4-5 roof tiles with a knife hand. I’d never broken anything before (except the lady’s hearts 😉) but was confident in my abilities as I 3as a 1st Kyu in Wado Ryu at that point😏🤨. He set it all up on a table in a dark room where I’d have to hit the small stack with little spacers between each tile, in the pitch black. He opened the camera shutter and shouted ‘GO!’ I brought my knife hand down with great force and to flashes of bright light. My hand exploded in pain 😳😭 When we switched the lights on, we realised I’d smashed through the tiles effortlessly and hit the solid, unyielding tabletop which bl**dy hurt😂 I had to pick out shards of tile from my bleeding hand🤣
I have to admit I enjoyed your pain in that story far more than I should have.

Well done!

Latest Discussions