Any insight on what to do?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Have a look at the most common methods fights are finished on the street.

That's how I'm going to represent after in a tournament sparring match. WORLDSTAR.... WORLDSTAR. lol. But seriously one could build a self-defense seminar of what not to let happen during a conflict. For example, don't get in your opponent's face yelling "Fight Me! Fight Me!" lol.. talk about asking for it.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Today I'm about 171 lb. soaking wet, and I work out all the time. I hope I'm never in a fight. I just don't want to be intimidated by anyone anymore. Honestly, I'd like to be able to stand my ground against another man and not be terrified at the point of him becoming aggressive... I'd probably be trying to bring peace to the conflict but I don't want to be afraid... ever... and I constantly think about the "what if's." what if a fight went to the ground,... I don't train for that regularly... I work in a some very rough towns and I very frequently think about what I would do if somebody has this or that weapon, etc. I look at the time I spend doing bo kata's and sai katas.. and katas in general and wonder just how much it's helping me. I guess part of my problem is in my thinking.

This sounds like you may not be getting the necessary body conditioning and sparring in. If you don't feel stronger then your training is definitely missing some important components which are likely body conditioning and sparring with technique. Quality sparring makes you less terrified of someone hitting you. Quality sparring using your techniques will give you the skill sets that you'll need to actually apply what you know outside of katas and prearranged attacks. If you are worried about what if the fight went to the ground then that tells me you aren't training to prevent that from happening or how to escape if it does happen. Katas by themselves don't help, you have to get sparring in and you have to use the techniques that you know while you are sparring. Sparring gives you the opportunity to learn from your mistakes in applying techniques the wrong way, or choosing the wrong technique for the wrong situation.

If you work in a very rough town then you should be doing weapon training yourself. You should also be working on spotting trouble so that you can either avoid it or deal with it before it deals with you.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to wonder what you have been doing in six years of training if you haven't sparred, haven't trained bunkai and are still don't know how to defend yourself, know about de-escalation and other tactics to deal with attackers.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's how I'm going to represent after in a tournament sparring match. WORLDSTAR.... WORLDSTAR. lol. But seriously one could build a self-defense seminar of what not to let happen during a conflict. For example, don't get in your opponent's face yelling "Fight Me! Fight Me!" lol.. talk about asking for it.

In the pocket like that is only safe if you are doing the hitting.

Latest Discussions