Journey to a new style...

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well... today was awesome :)

This morning was my usual fornightly online session, all about body dynamics and different ways of generating power, then the in-person Goju ryu training later in the afternoon!

Ahhh felt so good training with people again!

There were about 2-3 or so, and I ended up doing two sessions back to back as they asked if I wanted to stick around! Some advanced kata + bunkai (just discussing bunkai obviously, no contact), and I really loved that they emphasised that with the katas we have a really good grasp on, to make it our own. Eg what works for our body, and if we want to add a little more hip, shoulder, movement etc to really explore that. So rare... I'm used to styles which are very rigid with a kata having to be done EXACT, no wiggle room.

The second session we did some stick work! Another student offered me one of his, we did the whole wiping down of the stick first, but very cool drills we did. Did a contract drill with each other, then basic strikes.

I... am.... spent! But very happy with today :)

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well... today was awesome :)

This morning was my usual fornightly online session, all about body dynamics and different ways of generating power, then the in-person Goju ryu training later in the afternoon!

Ahhh felt so good training with people again!

There were about 2-3 or so, and I ended up doing two sessions back to back as they asked if I wanted to stick around! Some advanced kata + bunkai (just discussing bunkai obviously, no contact), and I really loved that they emphasised that with the katas we have a really good grasp on, to make it our own. Eg what works for our body, and if we want to add a little more hip, shoulder, movement etc to really explore that. So rare... I'm used to styles which are very rigid with a kata having to be done EXACT, no wiggle room.

The second session we did some stick work! Another student offered me one of his, we did the whole wiping down of the stick first, but very cool drills we did. Did a contract drill with each other, then basic strikes.

I... am.... spent! But very happy with today :)
Oh and I'll also add that it felt like the old times in Okinawa, where they were forbidden to practice karate so had to sneak off and meet with people in the middle of the night!

Admittedly it wasn't the middle of the night, and it WAS legally allowed, but it was still off down a corridor and in a secret courtyard area in a small group haha. Kickin' it old school!

I also found it VERY challenging training with a mask... I of course am greatly in favour of wearing them, but yes, very very hot and hard to breathe, any advice is appreciated. Maybe there are masks around designed for use in sports... breathable etc...

Last edited:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh and I'll also add that it felt like the old times in Okinawa, where they were forbidden to practice karate so had to sneak off and meet with people in the middle of the night!

Admittedly it wasn't the middle of the night, and it WAS legally allowed, but it was still off down a corridor and in a secret courtyard area in a small group haha. Kickin' it old school!

I also found it VERY challenging training with a mask... I of course am greatly in favour of wearing them, but yes, very very hot and hard to breathe, any advice is appreciated. Maybe there are masks around designed for use in sports... breathable etc...
I think the better solution is to find an open area like a park with lots of room, where the wind blows, and you can keep lots of extra space between people, like 12-15 feet. Then take the mask off.

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think the better solution is to find an open area like a park with lots of room, where the wind blows, and you can keep lots of extra space between people, like 12-15 feet. Then take the mask off.
Yeah that makes sense.. just got the word today because of announcements made the other day, that we can resume full outdoor classes :). We'll be training underneath a shelter next to an oval, but yeah hoping we can spread out and train without masks, otherwise will look into a different sort to wear..

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I recently emailed the dojo I was 100% sure of joining (the very first dojo I tried, the very first post in this thread), just to ask whether I can join their lovely dojo when they open back up... and just found out they're closed, no longer operating.

I'm absolutely devastated about this :(

I guess back to the drawing board....

I've been training with these current guys for a bit now but really not too sure I'll stay... one instructor I actually really like, but as stated previously I just do not vibe with the other. It's not just a personality thing, but I really do not like how he teaches... I won't go into detail here but let's just say I was not thrilled recently. I continually keep overlooking these things, but I just can't anymore. @Flying Crane you were absolutely right earlier when you said don't ignore that gut feeling. And it's to the point where I just am not excited about leaving for training. It's not a way I want my training to be or feel like when I drive there.

I kept questioning myself, kept thinking "Is it just me, is it something I'm harbouring that I'm not letting go of? Do I need this approach perhaps?" But the more I'm exposed to him it just does not feel nice at all. And not in just a being challenged sort of way (which is what I kept inquiring whether that's it), but in a real dissonance and an approach that is just not for me.

If anything, it's introduced me to Goju ryu, and I am mesmerised by it, and will continue down this line of inquiry of this style...

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I recently emailed the dojo I was 100% sure of joining (the very first dojo I tried, the very first post in this thread), just to ask whether I can join their lovely dojo when they open back up... and just found out they're closed, no longer operating.

I've been training with these current guys for a bit now but really not too sure I'll stay... one instructor I actually really like, but as stated previously I just do not vibe with the other. It's not just a personality thing, but I really do not like how he teaches... I won't go into detail here but let's just say I was not thrilled recently. I continually keep overlooking these things, but I just can't anymore. @Flying Crane you were absolutely right earlier when you said don't ignore that gut feeling. And it's to the point where I just am not excited about leaving for training. It's not a way I want my training to be or feel like when I drive there.

I kept questioning myself, kept thinking "Is it just me, is it something I'm harbouring that I'm not letting go of? Do I need this approach perhaps?" But the more I'm exposed to him it just does not feel nice at all. And not in just a being challenged sort of way (which is what I kept inquiring whether that's it), but in a real dissonance and an approach that is just not for me.

If anything, it's introduced me to Goju ryu, and I am mesmerised by it, and will continue down this line of inquiry of this style...
I’m sorry to hear about that first school, that is unfortunate. I’m sure Covid will have that affect on many schools and we will lose some of them.

Keep listening to your gut; it’s telling you something. I was in a school like that, where I could just tell that I wasn’t going to have a happy relationship with the teacher. There is nothing for it, you just can’t learn in that environment, and since this should be something that you do because you enjoy it, well the choice becomes obvious.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about any school closure regardless of reason. It impacts the whole industry.
I think you said it for yourself. If is feels wrong just driving to class it is unlikely you will ever enjoy the workout.
Your journey has been an arduous one but have stuck it out. I hope you find what you are seeking soon.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I know what you mean, Simon. I've trained under a whole lot of people, a lot of different personalities. I've trained under some people I didn't particularly like. But there were some I just couldn't take for too long.

But for me, it wasn't what I felt when I drove there, it was what I felt when I would drive home, "Man, I just don't like this F."

Sorry that place you wanted to train at is out of business. Looks like there's going to be a lot of that happening.

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that the school you were interested in is shutting down. Hopefully it will not be permanent. There are a number of schools in our area that are also having difficult time with Covid restrictions. Good luck with the search and hope you find something soon.

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I’m sorry to hear about that first school, that is unfortunate. I’m sure Covid will have that affect on many schools and we will lose some of them.

Keep listening to your gut; it’s telling you something. I was in a school like that, where I could just tell that I wasn’t going to have a happy relationship with the teacher. There is nothing for it, you just can’t learn in that environment, and since this should be something that you do because you enjoy it, well the choice becomes obvious.

Thanks, well said, and yeah I think they closed because of Covid. I'm not sure how that works though, it wasn't a full time dojo, just a community hall they rented, unless it was contract based and it was too expensive in the end. But yeah it felt like that would have been the place for me, although they only trained once a week so I was going to find elsewhere too. Now I can focus my attention just on one place I guess.

And yes very true... I also find this very interesting, it seems as though it may have to have elements of enjoying the style AND the instructor. I've found when each happens in isolation it's not as fulfilling; ie I've trained styles that I enjoyed but didn't vibe with the instructor, and I've trained styles that I didn't really click with but the instructor was really good. Just an interesting observation..

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about any school closure regardless of reason. It impacts the whole industry.
I think you said it for yourself. If is feels wrong just driving to class it is unlikely you will ever enjoy the workout.
Your journey has been an arduous one but have stuck it out. I hope you find what you are seeking soon.

Thank you, yes very true. Certainly has been a drawn out journey, and I'm treating this path as just another aspect of MA training

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know what you mean, Simon. I've trained under a whole lot of people, a lot of different personalities. I've trained under some people I didn't particularly like. But there were some I just couldn't take for too long.

But for me, it wasn't what I felt when I drove there, it was what I felt when I would drive home, "Man, I just don't like this F."

Sorry that place you wanted to train at is out of business. Looks like there's going to be a lot of that happening.

Thanks Buka, that's interesting, the drive home too is telling. Sometimes I'd feel great (always with instructor A teaching), but with the other instructor it wasn't a nice feeling, and I didn't really even feel safe with them.. hard to explain.

If it's going to be a 50/50 experience I don't know if that enough to keep me going..

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It may be that once we have a trustworthy vaccine in widespread distribution, that other teacher may be able to reopen. Perhaps he just decided that it is too uncertain right now and not worth the risk. Sounds like the Covid numbers Down Under are a lot better than we have in the States. But I could understand someone just doesn’t want to risk it, and doesn’t want to deal with the on-again off-again nature of it until we are back on solid footing.

I was thinking of getting a group going in a local park with plenty of distancing outdoors, but as our Covid numbers just kept skyrocketing, I decided it isn’t worth the risk. I would never forgive myself if someone in a group that I assembled for a fun activity, got sick and had some serious repercussions. We don’t need to do this right now. It can wait. I can keep training by myself in the meantime.

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that the school you were interested in is shutting down. Hopefully it will not be permanent. There are a number of schools in our area that are also having difficult time with Covid restrictions. Good luck with the search and hope you find something soon.

Thank you very much, yeah and I made sure to tell the instructor that I loved how he taught and that if he ever started up anything again to let me know as I'd still be really interested. I think I'd be more devastated perhaps if I had have started there a couple of years ago, and then to have it shut down now.

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
It may be that once we have a trustworthy vaccine in widespread distribution, that other teacher may be able to reopen. Perhaps he just decided that it is too uncertain right now and not worth the risk. Sounds like the Covid numbers Down Under are a lot better than we have in the States. But I could understand someone just doesn’t want to risk it, and doesn’t want to deal with the on-again off-again nature of it until we are back on solid footing.

I was thinking of getting a group going in a local park with plenty of distancing outdoors, but as our Covid numbers just kept skyrocketing, I decided it isn’t worth the risk. I would never forgive myself if someone in a group that I assembled for a fun activity, got sick and had some serious repercussions. We don’t need to do this right now. It can wait. I can keep training by myself in the meantime.

That's true, as this is the second time he's had to close up the dojo due to lockdown, it is possible it's not worth reopening yet. Hoping that's the case. He did say his school is no longer operating, but yes we'll see. I do know of one dojo that could have reopened, but put out a message that he's just going to reopen early next year instead. It's so hard to tell how long it'll all play out..

That's very responsible of you, and totally fair enough.

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
So, moving swiftly on!

After hearing about that dojo closing I spent an afternoon being frustrated which is fair enough, but I took a deep breathe, said "okay", and kept a-lookin!

Sent out an email to two dojos, one of them unfortunately isn't open yet as it's a community centre and they're limited at the moment with when they can start allowing training.

The other Goju ryu dojo responded with a plethora of information on their style, fees, training times, approach in terms of it being a smaller club so they offer very friendly and personalised instruction, and very warmly thanked me for asking about their club. Reading up on this dojo's website it really resonated with me what they emphasise and their orientation...

Also said that they're not for profit, they're not interested in having large numbers and making profits, but just love karate and want to share it with others.

I asked if I could sit and watch a class, and as long as all health guidelines are followed that's all fine, so I'm heading up Friday!

Now... I have extended my dojo range a tad haha... this one is an hour drive away. I figure... if it's a dojo that I just really click with in every way and it feels like home, that won't be an issue at all in the slightest (*fingers crossed). Training is a bit later too which suits better, can chuck on martial arts podcasts in the car haha. I'd be training twice a week, although they offer 4 or 5 days a week training which is no extra charge if I want to train at the other dojo.

Can't wait :)

Last edited:

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So, moving swiftly on!

After hearing about that dojo closing I spent an afternoon being frustrated which is fair enough, but I took a deep breathe, said "okay", and kept a-lookin!

Sent out an email to two dojos, one of them unfortunately isn't open yet as it's a community centre and they're limited at the moment with when they can start allowing training.

The other Goju ryu dojo responded with a plethora of information on their style, fees, training times, approach in terms of it being a smaller club so they offer very friendly and personalised instruction, and very warmly thanked me for asking about their club. Reading up on this dojo's website it really resonated with me what they emphasise and their orientation...

Also said that they're not for profit, they're not interested in having large numbers and making profits, but just love karate and want to share it with others.

I asked if I could sit and watch a class, and as long as all health guidelines are followed that's all fine, so I'm heading up Friday!

Now... I have extended my dojo range a tad haha... this one is an hour drive away. I figure... if it's a dojo that I just really click with in every way and it feels like home, that won't be an issue at all in the slightest (*fingers crossed). Training is a bit later too which suits better, can chuck on martial arts podcasts in the car haha. I'd be training twice a week, although they offer 4 or 5 days a week training which is no extra charge if I want to train at the other dojo.

Sounds great. Best of luck with the class. I hope you let us know how it goes.

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
So, moving swiftly on!

Good luck with the new dojo. Hopefully you can find a new home there and continue on with training. Keep us in the loop.

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
So I checked out the class the other night, wow, much to tell!

It was exactly an hours drive, which was easy enough to find and it flew by. Walked in and the instructor chatted with me for quite some time! And I felt bad as he kept talking to me for almost an HOUR into their class! The members just were doing their own thing and getting assistance from the other higher grades, but I was blown away with that. Oh and they train for about 2 hours as well, never seen that before round these parts!

Told me all about the history of their style, and it's a very specific lineage of Goju ryu. I found it all incredibly fascinating... and we seemed to be on the same page regarding the intertwining of karate and spiritual matters, Zen etc... basically that karate is about so much more than fighting. He also feels it's rare to really find true Goju ryu, and feels the way they teach it is better. Still had respect for others, but of course clubs will say the way they do it is best ;).

Anyway they started the class, he told me this wasn't really a typical class as they've only just started training in the dojo recently due to everything opening up, so they worked solely on kata for the whole time.

He had a few views on certain styles (Kyokushin, Shotokan etc) which made sense, and they're very conscious about karate being for longevity.

One thing I was a bit unsure about was that he said they don't really do sparring, people got injured too much etc. I really feel free sparring has an important place, but then again, my last style was very sparring heavy, so perhaps this could be a segway into another aspect of karate?

I'd still love to work on sparring, so if I stayed with this club I would find a way... maybe search out a club or fellow martial artists to do some sparring... or I even thought of doing the fight nights that my old club do 4 times a year (25x rounds of dojo sparring in a row)... we'll see.

I found the class utterly fascinating... he was very very technical in approach. He was watching a student closely do kata and almost after every single movement he would correct him and get him to do it again. MANY times haha. He even told me that he's had a few black belts from other styles come train and they left because it was too hard. Not physically he said, but mentally.

So this at least tells me that he has a very high standard and really wants the student to understand it. I could see that the corrections he made were of importance, and not just to be arbitrarily anal about it. So I would have to be prepared not to take it personally if I'm corrected an excessive amount, but treat it as part of training, good feedback, shoshin (beginner's mind), and hey, I'm there to learn!

He really, really emphasised relaxation which I appreciate a great deal. There was a depth of body mechanics, vibration and whiplike movement that was emphasised, and seeing the way the instructor moved (he's 77 years old by the way!), it was incredible the power and whip he generated. He definitely has a deep understanding of this stuff, you can see it and feel it in his energy for sure.

Also spoke of your particular facial expression within kata and how it informs your technique and even structure.

It's something I really wanted to explore, learning those deep body mechanics, relaxation and flow that seemingly isn't really taught from the places I've looked.

Asked if I could join them tomorrow night, so will see how we go :)

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
.... wow!

Had my first class, and it was truly fascinating. Honestly had to employ true "shoshin" (beginner's mind) and remain open, as it was an experience!

Had a blast! They do everything so differently, and I had to be aware of and try let go of old habits which will be quite the challenge.

The people there are all really warm and friendly, and incredibly helpful, and they all spoke very highly of the instructor, saying you'll never find a better instructor. He's certainly incredibly experienced.

Even the warmup was fascinating... lots of breathing focus, cool wrist exercises, even an interesting inner thigh massage while rotating the hip outwards.

We focused mainly on basics tonight and only really covered 3 in depth. Chudan tsuki, jodan uke and gedan uke.

Tell ya what I had to completely relearn how I punched haha. They do it a bit differently. They don't do the classic full chamber, the fist is just under pec, and the elbow is pointing towards ground. To the unsuspecting person it probably looks like a lazy chamber haha, but the reasoning is that it keeps the punch (and fist) in a more direct and straight line rather than it travelling upwards. Also actually feels more relaxed to me. They also use a bit more hip to launch it, and they make sure shoulder blade isn't pushed forwards, but to lock it in with the lats/pecs.

Jodan uke is also alot higher up in end position.

He then got me with one of the black belts to go through the techniques and guide me. Had to really feel my way into it but I learned quickly enough.

Then went through their first kata (basic one that most karate schools do, Taikyoku). Another different experience. Their front stance is much shorter than what I'm used to, and again I had to keep check that my punches weren't throwing my structure out of whack through excessive forward push of my shoulder blades.

The main instructor really showed me the different effect it had by leaning on and pushing me, could definitely feel it. He also said I learned really quickly and had a good body awareness.

The 1-on-1 time I had was more than I've ever had anywhere else, was a little daunting at first but very helpful.

Some key notes:
-Relaxation is emphasised alot
-Elbow and hip/center connection is crucial.
-Lock the lats with techniques, and arm loose + relaxed. This makes sure you're solid in structure and have stability whilst still remaining mobile with the arms to do what they need to.

It wasn't an exhausting or overly demanding session physically, but the 2 hours we trained flew by!

It has certainly intrigued me a great deal... will be heading up Friday again :)

Latest Discussions