JKD Question

MFC__2020

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello,
Wing Chun, Boxing, Fencing
Was there any other martial arts that influenced the ORIGINAL/Bruces, style of JKD?

Cynik75

Purple Belt
Reaction score
MFC__2020 said:
Was there any other martial arts that influenced the ORIGINAL/Bruces, style of JKD?
All of them. Plus others.Plus his personal experiences.
Dark Sovereign said:
Maybe Kung Fu?
There is no style called "Kung Fu". This is wrong, general name for all Chinese martial arts.

Dark Sovereign said:
To be honest I'm not sure as I don't train Jeet Kun Do.
Do not answer questions if you do not know the answer.

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello,
Karate, and Chacha dance moves. Much of his footwork was inspired by his experience with Cha Cha dancing. He also took on an apprentice who was a black belt in Karate and both learnt a lot from each other.
Lastly, there is rumours that many of his kicks come from Taekwondo, but I've not seen any sources to confirm this.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I heard people say that Taekwondo and Judo were practiced by Bruce.

I think most people who spend more than just a few years in MA will have some degree of exposure to a ton of different arts. I don't really think Bruce Lee actually trained in TKD, but would be surprised if he hadn't been shown how to do a few TKD-style kicks.

Razznik

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think most people who spend more than just a few years in MA will have some degree of exposure to a ton of different arts. I don't really think Bruce Lee actually trained in TKD, but would be surprised if he hadn't been shown how to do a few TKD-style kicks.
I agree. He probably gained inspiration for JKD from this

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score

I remember hearing he and Jhoon Rhee (sp?) were good friends.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
According to Paul Vunak

1) Wing chun
2) Northern praying mantis
3) Southern praying mantis
4) Choy li fut
5) Taiji (wu family style)
6) Bagua
7) Xingyi
8) Bak-hoo pai (white crane) and bak-fu pai (white tiger)
9) Eagle claw
10) Ng ga kuen (five family system)
11) Ny ying ga (five animal system)
12) Bak mei pai (white eyebrow)
13) Northern shaolin
14) Southern shaolin
15) Bok pai
16) Law horn kuen
17) Chinna
18) Monkey
19) Drunken
20) Western fencing (foil)
21) Boxing
22) Wrestling
23) Jiujutsu
24) Eskrima
25) Sikaran
26) Muay thai

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
According to Paul Vunak

1) Wing chun
2) Northern praying mantis
3) Southern praying mantis
4) Choy li fut
5) Taiji (wu family style)
6) Bagua
7) Xingyi
8) Bak-hoo pai (white crane) and bak-fu pai (white tiger)
9) Eagle claw
10) Ng ga kuen (five family system)
11) Ny ying ga (five animal system)
12) Bak mei pai (white eyebrow)
13) Northern shaolin
14) Southern shaolin
15) Bok pai
16) Law horn kuen
17) Chinna
18) Monkey
19) Drunken
20) Western fencing (foil)
21) Boxing
22) Wrestling
23) Jiujutsu
24) Eskrima
25) Sikaran
26) Muay thai
I wonder how he defines all these methods as having an influence on JKD. This is a big list, these are systems that require serious study in order to understand on a meaningful level. One cannot just observe them a bit, ponder them on an intellectual basis, and then “work in the elements” with any honest claim to an influence.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I wonder how he defines all these methods as having an influence on JKD. This is a big list, these are systems that require serious study in order to understand on a meaningful level. One cannot just observe them a bit, ponder them on an intellectual basis, and then “work in the elements” with any honest claim to an influence.

As far as actually studied, not observed or read about, all I can find is Wing Chun, Fencing, Boxing and Judo. I find Paul Vunak list rather hard to believe since Bruce started in Hong Kong at about 13 and came to the USA in 1959 a the age of 19 and died at 33 only 14 year later. And teachers in Hong Kong at that time were big on the idea of cross training, you were their student or you were not. Also the culture was not much different in Chinatown in the 50s and 60s.And many of those on that list, would not have been found with anyone other than a Chinese Shifu in the 50s and 60s

So it is highly unlikely he actually trained all of these; Wing chun, Northern praying mantis, Southern praying mantis, Choy li fut, Taiji (wu family style), Baguazhang, Xingyiquan, Bak-hoo pai (white crane) and bak-fu pai (white tiger), Eagle claw, Ng ga kuen (five family system), Ny ying ga (five animal system), Bak mei pai (white eyebrow), Northern shaolin, Southern shaolin, Bok pai, Law horn kuen, Monkey, Drunken. As for QInna, it is part of a lot of CMA styles and it is found in Judo too.

Note: Paul Vunak was a student of Dan Inosanto

Dong xiao hu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
As far as actually studied, not observed or read about, all I can find is Wing Chun, Fencing, Boxing and Judo. I find Paul Vunak list rather hard to believe since Bruce started in Hong Kong at about 13 and came to the USA in 1959 a the age of 19 and died at 33 only 14 year later. And teachers in Hong Kong at that time were big on the idea of cross training, you were their student or you were not. Also the culture was not much different in Chinatown in the 50s and 60s.And many of those on that list, would not have been found with anyone other than a Chinese Shifu in the 50s and 60s

So it is highly unlikely he actually trained all of these; Wing chun, Northern praying mantis, Southern praying mantis, Choy li fut, Taiji (wu family style), Baguazhang, Xingyiquan, Bak-hoo pai (white crane) and bak-fu pai (white tiger), Eagle claw, Ng ga kuen (five family system), Ny ying ga (five animal system), Bak mei pai (white eyebrow), Northern shaolin, Southern shaolin, Bok pai, Law horn kuen, Monkey, Drunken. As for QInna, it is part of a lot of CMA styles and it is found in Judo too.

Note: Paul Vunak was a student of Dan Inosanto
According to Dan Inasanto many of these styles did not provide techniques. Instead they where influential because of a training method, philosophy, conditioning method, or what not to do. JKD can be described as a search for the common thread.

Sent from my LGL455DL using Tapatalk

OP
MFC__2020

MFC__2020

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Personally I think the addition of fencing is a giant mistake. Especially for modern times...who can walk around with a sword?

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
According to Dan Inasanto many of these styles did not provide techniques. Instead they where influential because of a training method, philosophy, conditioning method, or what not to do. JKD can be described as a search for the common thread.

I agree. Bruce did not actively train in many arts (maybe four or five) but did educate himself on many more .

Personally I think the addition of fencing is a giant mistake. Especially for modern times...who can walk around with a sword?

The value of fencing in the study of combat is not limited to using a sword. Lines of attack, beats, deflections, control of space and distance, development of speed and reflexes and a number of other fencing concepts can be applied to empty hand fighting. Read the top quote again.

Latest Discussions