The truth of JKD finally revealed!

Robert Lee

Brown Belt
Reaction score
If you look at the aspects Of what Bruce looked into as to the different Martial Arts Boxing fenceing Ect, Yes He did But Not to take and train. But to understand see its usefullness See how JKD could defend aginst this or relate its method for performance. Now yes with more avalible these days you can look at these arts in concepts That Dan uses. Then train in Jkd And have a rounded way that you have exposed your self to other methods found that in your JKd you have methods that assert there self to defend and use. if confront with this type of offence. Is it JKd NO is it explored concepts yes Can it help yes. But do you have to train in JKD in this manner NO But if you choose to thats great its you making the choice. At least you have the exposer. Jkd was not along drawn out training It was about a 2 year devolpment training then of course you had to liberate from the training through the open aspects Spars that brought out just what you could get working Now i would not go as far to say Dan is the only valid source for JKD. You can not go wrong seeking him out and learning all you can from him. But other sources are avalible. This kind of stuff keeps the politics going who is better qualified and who is not. James Lee had several students Bruce shut down the scools James still instructed. Taki has too. niether James or Taki certified anyone For sure. James passed away before Bruce. But the students still lived. Taki did not want to certify people Dan had a large burden he shared when he certified the remaining Back yard group. They have there ways now. People from other style of many M/A arts over time have gone on after there instructor. Founder passed and left some one the rights. To seperate and teach the same art just a different organization And they were not given the right by there founder or head of style after death. But they had good training enough to instruct. Bruce left No person incharge or told no person As I know of that if he died they would head up JKD I respect Dan very much as Most any other person does. If an instructor can trace back to one of the three phases of Bruces Jun Fan // JKd Then dont they have a piece of the pie.

monkey

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I do have on dvd 1 of may seminar That Dan Inosanto has stated ( I dont beleave 100% of what Bruce tought & even when I was with him & I never will)The was to the referance of Bruces The True lies out side of the fixed pattern & useing No Way as Way.Dan state ( your child asks for breakfast tell him use no way find it your self.You need afixed patern to start then go from there.)When I trained We had basic to sifu guide lines & thats what the rank cards & certifacates were for.To stae a few Taki Level-3 junfan Lew Sinder Level-1 junfan James Coburn Level-1 junfan Sterling Silaphant Level-1 Tao James Lee Leve -3 jkd Level -3 jun fan Sharon Tate Level-1 junfan to name a few that Bruce signed & stamp sealed.Yes it had a way but freedom to evolv to 3-d for fights were all other arts stay stagnent!

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Robert Lee said:
This kind of stuff keeps the politics going who is better qualified and who is not. James Lee had several students Bruce shut down the scools James still instructed. Taki has too. niether James or Taki certified anyone For sure. James passed away before Bruce. But the students still lived. Taki did not want to certify people Dan had a large burden he shared when he certified the remaining Back yard group. They have there ways now..
My Sigung was one of Jimmy's students from when Jimmy taught with Al Novak in Hayward and until Jimmy died.
http://www.taoofgungfu.com/
My Sifu (Sigungs son) was there too. He was a kid but he grew up in the art and in the school. Jimmy gave him his first lesson and told his father to teach him. And to this date, they have not certified anyone. They just teach.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wild Bill said:
1) After the death of Si Gung Lee, several of Dan's students were
promoted to
the status of "Instructor". It was Dan, not Si Gung Lee, who promoted
Jerry
Poteet, Daniel Lee, Ted Wong, Richard Bustillo, Larry Hartsell, Steve
Golden,
etc to "Instructor" rank.
[In reference to the many JKD "experts" being published in Inside
Kung Fu and Inside Karate ...]

2) Lamar Davis [An extremely prolific student of Gary Dills ...] is
another unqualified and uncertified individual who like Dr. Beasley, is
merely capitalizing on the name of Si Gung Lee.

3) He is truly the only
individual that knows the roots, techniques, principles and concepts of the
arts developed and taught by Si Gung Lee.

4) I have know way of verifing the information. I'm just sharing.

I will address a couple of points where this letter is wrong.

1) Dan Inosanto admits to certfying Jerry Poteet and Steve Golden.

2) Lamar Davis is certfied to teach by 5 original Bruce Lee students. Two of them are Jerry Poteet and Steve Golden. I'm a member of a forum that Steve golden frequents and he has verified this to be true.
http://www.jkdbrotherhood.com/catalog.0.html.0.html
The others that he is certified by are skilled and early students of Bruce Lee. Lamar has worked hard to "learn" his JKD.

3) That is almost ignorant on Krivkas part.

4) That is understood. The rivalry of Krivka "speaking" on behalf of Paula has been around the block a few times.

Robert Lee

Brown Belt
Reaction score
akja said:
My Sigung was one of Jimmy's students from when Jimmy taught with Al Novak in Hayward and until Jimmy died.
http://www.taoofgungfu.com/
My Sifu (Sigungs son) was there too. He was a kid but he grew up in the art and in the school. Jimmy gave him his first lesson and told his father to teach him. And to this date, they have not certified anyone. They just teach.
Yes But dont you think That Felix Jr would have the right to go ahead and pass on what he has learned from the oakland years and certify if he chose to do so. As What i am saying is there were other students that had good training And can pass down Jun// Fan JKD. Not just the L A group. And who would dispute the linage it traces back to James and Bruce. And the time was spent in learning

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
Robert Lee said:
Yes But dont you think That Felix Jr would have the right to go ahead and pass on what he has learned from the oakland years and certify if he chose to do so. As What i am saying is there were other students that had good training And can pass down Jun// Fan JKD. Not just the L A group. And who would dispute the linage it traces back to James and Bruce. And the time was spent in learning
You're right but his love is in the art and not the direction that all arts have gone.

Felix Jr. is OK with me teaching my art as long as I tell my students what is "mine" and not from him and I think thats 1 way how they approve their students to teach. He also allows students who have been with him a while to teach. He just dosen't issue paper.

I've tried to get both Felix Jr. & Sr. to meet others from their time but their happy just "doing."

Robert Lee

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Thats just fine As training any M/A is training with no name if you learn to do what you do. Because you are what you do. Just like boxing is called boxing no 200 different names for it just boxingf

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
JKD as I understand was never really standardized. I am asking not stating. However, what I am asking is did Bruce set up a cirriculm? What I am gathering of this topic post is the fact that you guys are not a big fan of Dan Isanto.

I only know of what I have seen of Bruce Lee. I understand he used to be asked to slow his kicks down etc. I have seen green hornet reruns where he would kick out a light bulb. This to me is quite amazing.

Robert Lee

Brown Belt
Reaction score
matt.m said:
JKD as I understand was never really standardized. I am asking not stating. However, what I am asking is did Bruce set up a cirriculm? What I am gathering of this topic post is the fact that you guys are not a big fan of Dan Isanto.

I only know of what I have seen of Bruce Lee. I understand he used to be asked to slow his kicks down etc. I have seen green hornet reruns where he would kick out a light bulb. This to me is quite amazing.
Dan is doing his thing and doing it well. No disrespect at all towards him. I would say Bruce approved of the instruction method At the different schools. Taki being the seattle instructor James being the oakland instructor And Dan being the LA china town instructor. And Bruce Being the head instructor of the 3 schools. Bruce prefured to hand select who he would teach And some recieved different aspects to the training at different times. But when you look at what was taught at the 3 different schools You saw structure to the training routine. JKD is not just thrown together And yes it did evolve when Bruce was alive and active in teaching and exploreing. And would have changed more as Bruce would have evolved even more. Now A person can pickup with what bruce left The JKD structure And look beyond if they wish to do so. To find what best meets there needs. But JKD has a good amount of useable training tools that Help fill the gaps But like any art All the needs are not there. Never will be. Just round off what you train and go from there Is every thing JKD no Is it considered as a concept that can blend in to what JKD suggests. Yes. But to be JKD you should have the foundation Bruce researched and handed down after erything is yours alone

Thunder Foot

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hmmm...

If I'm not mistaken, Bruce taught differently during the Oakland years to his time in LA. That should serve as an exmaple of JKD's evolution, no?

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
Robert Lee said:
And yes it did evolve when Bruce was alive and active in teaching and exploreing. And would have changed more as Bruce would have evolved even more.

Thats our biggest dissappointment! JKD "could have" been "one" like it should be.

Thunder Foot

Brown Belt
Reaction score
akja said:
Thats our biggest dissappointment! JKD "could have" been "one" like it should be.
I apologize if replying to this is considered spam. However I believe the outcome would still be the same whether Bruce was alive longer, still living or dead. The reason for this being his constantly changing, paradoxial type description of the Art. Being that JKD's ultimate goal is to be your personal expression... the learning process itself gives way to mis-interpretation. There's bound to be fall away students... and its logical to assume that people would form what they believe to be JKD.

In addition, dismissing what I just said... I don't believe JKD is meant to be whole. For every different instructor, there is bound to be a different path. I really don't even know how there has managed to be only 2 paths of JKD for this long. Just some thoughts :asian:

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
You're right except JKD should be one camp, not two and there should be no bickering on which camp is right.

Thunder Foot

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Well, from what I've heard... JKDC is right, and only the OJKD guys bicker.[/SARCASM]

hehehe.

Fighting Spirit29

White Belt
Reaction score
J.k.d is not actually a hybrid art, its a concept art.. anyway here is my take on it, enjoy the read :)

JEET KUNE DO.....

The art of Jeet Kune Do is simply to simplify. Jeet Kune Do avoids the superficial, penetrates the complex, goes to the heart of the problem and pinpoints the key factors. Empty your cup that it may be filled; become devoid to gain totality."

Many claims have been made over the years with regards to the proper definition of Bruce Lee's art of Jeet Kune Do. To some it is a process of "Change"; others see it as just a form of "modified" Wing Chun. Many recognize Jeet Kune Do to be simply a mixture of many different elements from numerous fighting styles, all combined to hopefully, at a later stage, form something meaningful to the individual concerned.

However ...

There is but ONE definition of Jeet Kune Do (As stated by the Jun Fan Jeet Kune Do Nucleus) ... "Jeet Kune Do is the complete body of technical (physical, scientific) and philosophical (mental, social and spiritual) knowledge that was studied and taught by Bruce Lee during his lifetime. It is concerned solely and exclusively with Bruce Lee's personal evolution and process of self-discovery through the Martial Art, as supported by written record (personal papers and library) and oral recollections (by those students who spent time with and/or studied under him)."

A distinction is made between this body of work (Jun Fan Jeet Kune Do), and the individual student's own personal process of self discovery through the martial art, as each student is free to use all, some or none of Bruce Lee's teachings to assist him. Jeet Kune Do accepts you as you are and is not about setting up restrictions or "Ways" of doing things - It seeks to be a source of inspiration and delight for those who possess an interest in Bruce Lee, and the martial viewpoints that he created.

Jeet Kune Do should be considered as the "Root" that was established by Bruce Lee, and NOT the ultimate goal of any practitioner, as students are expected to modify, add, and delete all aspects of Jeet Kune Do until they develop something that is uniquely their own (You the individual become, through this process of self-discovery, your own best teacher).

With this explanation still fresh in your mind I urge you to continue reading I hope my explanations and ideas on this wonderful art and philosophy prove to be helpful and enlightening.

The Art Of Jeet Kune do...

This is my small contribution and brief introduction to the art of Jeet Kune Do as I understand it. Although I wished had the opportunity to meet Sifu Bruce Lee I continue to feel indebted to him for the changes his art and Philosophy have brought in my life - changing me mentally, physically and spiritually. I am hoping that this short passage will make you want to explore all the aspects of this interesting art, and so use it as a means of self-discovery ... Developing a NEW way of life!!

To begin with, Jeet Kune Do (abbreviated JKD from now on) means "The way of the intercepting fist" and with this combat phrase in mind, it is basically concerned with the interception of an attack, a movement or even an intention by your opponent to launch an attack. It is one of the most popular and well debated (due to each person's understanding and application of JKD being different from the next) martial arts in existence today.

There are two schools of thought in JKD practice today ... Jun Fan/JKD practitioners, and the JKD Concepts practitioners. Jun Fan/JKD practitioners concentrate on Bruce Lee's original teachings, training and fighting methods, while the JKD Concepts practitioners use Bruce Lee's ideas and theories and explore and add techniques from many other martial arts to their training - Whatever form of JKD you choose to follow, it is really up to you to find your own truth in the art of Jeet Kune DO !!!

Well, you might ask ....
What are the main theories, principles and techniques involved ? What is the structure of this method ? What training methods are used ? How can you get involved in the learning process ? .... I will cover that in a little more detail shortly.

Although Wing Chun, a Southern form of Chinese martial art still remains the nucleus of the JKD system, western fencing with its non-telegraphic motions, footwork as well as attack and defense theory were also incorporated. Bruce Lee also liked the way that boxers fought and so body mechanics, footwork and all the evasive tactics were taken from boxing and also incorporated into his JKD system. Bruce Lee, after researching several methods of kicking, also came up with his own unique way of kicking - very fast and very direct !! It is therefore safe to say that JKD consists primarily (although he did use elements from 26 different systems) of Wing Chun, Fencing, boxing and Bruce's own unique way of kicking.

Learning the art of JKD is like putting together a large puzzle. Each period of Bruce Lee's life holds important pieces of the puzzle - The more you learn, the more complete your puzzle becomes. It also helps to learn as much about Wing Chun as possible so that you can better understand the roots of the system - You will find that the study of Wing Chun will really solidify your knowledge and understanding of JKD (It is after all the real foundation !!).

There are three major areas of concentration in JKD:

Simplicity
Directness and,
Non-classical attitude
Simplicity means doing only what is necessary to complete a task as quickly and efficiently as possible - This is by no means as easy as it sounds and requires a lot of thought and practice through continual drilling of all the basics.

Directness means to follow the shortest and safest possible route to an opponent (normally a straight line) with non-telegraphic motions and doing as much damage as possible. The principle of directness in JKD can be found in the individual's ability to use his longest weapon (usually his lead hand or leg) against the nearest target on his opponent's body.

Non-classical means that all the techniques are delivered in a practical manner, unlike the majority of "fancy" techniques that are used and taught in traditional martial arts.

The first thing that must be considered is the fighting stance (Bai-jong), or the on -guard stance which Bruce Lee believed must have your power side forward - In this position your most powerful weapons are closest to your target. This stance is highly mobile with good offensive and defensive capabilities ... Plus much much more!!
Mobility, more than anything else is highly stressed in JKD, as combat is a matter of movements ... Footwork is light, quick and economical. Good footwork is essential to close (bridge) the gap to your opponent and attack powerfully, or evade and counter an opponent's attack. The JKD fighter will use linear, lateral, angular and circular footwork patterns, so as to put himself in the best possible range.

There are three fighting ranges emphasized in JKD:

Long range
Medium range and,
Close range
Each of these three ranges must be practiced. The fighter must understand the tools applied in each range and how to use them effectively. Long range is known as the fighting measure, and is the most favorable position to maintain when you are not attacking. In this long range you are basically very "safe" and it is from here that you can test your opponent's reactions without being in too much danger of being hit. You can test your opponent's reactions by using feinting or probing attacks which appear to be real!!

Kicks, punches, trapping and grappling movements can all be used in the medium range. As a general rule, by the time your opponent is moving into the medium range you should have already intercepted him and countered his offense with an attack of your own.

Once we get into the close range, head butts, elbows and knees can now be used. This is generally where close quarter grappling occurs (chokes, strangles etc.) and is a very deadly range due to the serious nature of the natural body weapons that can be employed.

Physical blocking of an incoming blow is only used as a last resort by the JKD practitioner ... instead he uses the four corner parry which redirects the incoming force. The best defense in JKD is to attack!! The next preferred method of defense is the simultaneous attack and defense whereby you parry the opponent's attack while delivering (at the same time) an attack of your own to the open line. An even more effective form of defense is to fire a fast powerful attack of your own into the same line as the incoming attack, thereby deflecting the oncoming attack and landing successfully on your target - This form of interception is called the stop-hit; when using the foot for interception it is called a stop-kick. When you have honed your interception skills, damage is done immediately to the attacker, both mentally and physically.

The most important factor in JKD training is sensitivity training. Every offensive and defensive movement will have a certain type of energy and energy flow. Sensitivity drills that are used in JKD are referred to as Chi Sao or "Sticking hands" and use of this drill will enable the student to "sense" the opponent's energy quickly and subsequently trap and counter him immediately. Chi Gerk or "Sticking legs" develops the sensitivity in the legs for sweeps, deflections and counter kicks practitioners.

Another area of vital importance in JKD is Bruce Lee's five ways of attacking. Bruce Lee realized that there are essentially only five ways that you can attack an opponent and that every empty hand attack ever conceived will fall into one of these five categories.

One of the most useful pieces of equipment for the JKD practitioner is the Mook Jong or the wooden dummy (Refer to the last picture in my photo album) from the Wing Chun system of Chinese Kung Fu - This piece of equipment allows you to train alone when no partners are available. The wooden dummy consists of a head, trunk, two upper arms, a lower arm and a lower (sometimes metal) extension that represents the lead leg of an opponent ... All the offensive and defensive moves can be performed on the dummy. Striking the dummy and performing your defensive moves on it also conditions the arms and the legs for impact - This was one of Bruce Lee's favorite pieces of training equipment !!

As you can see Jeet Kune Do is a very well rounded and balanced martial art which has something special to offer everyone from a mental, physical and spiritual point of view. It is, and will become - If you let it ... "A NEW WAY OF LIFE".

Jeet Kune Do Fitness

Intense physical training is a must in JKD or any other external Martial Art for that matter!! Please excuse the brutality in what I am about to say, but the last thing that you want to happen to you is to lose your life due to not being prepared or not in a good enough shape to carry through with a confrontation.

Bruce Lee emphasized fitness over and over again with all his students - Cardiovascular, flexibility and strength training. Cardiovascular conditioning can be accomplished through running, cycling, rope skipping, running stairs, rowing, swimming, shadowboxing and/or footwork mobility drills to name but a few ...To just give you an idea of Bruce Lee's physical prowess, he would run four miles a day in 24 to 25 minutes, thereafter he would ride his stationary exercycle full speed - 35 to 40 miles per hour continuously for 45 minutes to an hour!!

Flexibility can be maintained by implementing a serious stretching routine of at least two twenty minute sessions per day.

Strength training can be accomplished through the use of isometrics, static contraction exercises, free weights, weight machines etc.

An important element that all JKD practitioners must experience is lots of good, hard sparring with protective equipment - This brings all the fitness aspects together, as well as conditioning your body for impact, developing self-confidence, mobility, timing, power, reflexes, range awareness and the endurance necessary to succeed in an all out confrontation.

anyway i hope this was useful info
smile.gif

kroh

Brown Belt
Reaction score
HOLY FIRST POST! Welcome to martial talk.

OK...I have the truth about JKD...

JKD is nothing more than several martial arts mixed together and Bruce Lee really didn't care about fighting so it didn't matter what he put together.

IN SECRET: Bruce Lee was really an anthropologist and HE'S NOT REALLY DEAD. He has been in seclusion studying the effects of religious fanatics that have been endlessly arguing what their god (Lee) really wanted.

Hmmm...all we need now is said fanatics running into other people's fighting studios and causing trouble ...

Nice to know that the classical mess that Lee was trying to avoid has not only taken hold of what he devised but it has fractured it into a bunch of peices. I can't wait to see Lee's Thessis. :idunno:

Regards,
Walt

Best sig I ever saw: Shut up and train

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
kroh said:
HOLY FIRST POST! Welcome to martial talk.

OK...I have the truth about JKD...

JKD is nothing more than several martial arts mixed together and Bruce Lee really didn't care about fighting so it didn't matter what he put together.

IN SECRET: Bruce Lee was really an anthropologist and HE'S NOT REALLY DEAD. He has been in seclusion studying the effects of religious fanatics that have been endlessly arguing what their god (Lee) really wanted.

Hmmm...all we need now is said fanatics running into other people's fighting studios and causing trouble ...

Nice to know that the classical mess that Lee was trying to avoid has not only taken hold of what he devised but it has fractured it into a bunch of peices. I can't wait to see Lee's Thessis. :idunno:

Regards,
Walt

Best sig I ever saw: Shut up and train

hahahahahaha

Latest Discussions