Variations on JKD

OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
^^^^ Yeah, I fully expect to find a lot of Wing Chun in JKD. That's why I am interested in further developing it. JKD is already designed to work in exactly the type of sparring scenarios where most everyone else just looks like crappy kickboxing. So I see JKD as a way to "functionalize" the Wing Chun I have learned. Like I said before, when put under pressure what I do starts looking a lot like JKD rather than classical Wing Chun. So actually taking it to bona fide JKD just makes sense to me!

Not to step on any toes....but I think much of TWC is William Cheung's own development. As he fought and pressure-tested things I think he adjusted and changed his Wing Chun. He took his Wing Chun in one direction, Bruce Lee took it in another. I think the big difference was the western boxing influence.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
^^^^ Yeah, I fully expect to find a lot of Wing Chun in JKD. That's why I am interested in further developing it. JKD is already designed to work in exactly the type of sparring scenarios where most everyone else just looks like crappy kickboxing. So I see JKD as a way to "functionalize" the Wing Chun I have learned. Like I said before, when put under pressure what I do starts looking a lot like JKD rather than classical Wing Chun. So actually taking it to bona fide JKD just makes sense to me!

Not to step on any toes....but I think much of TWC is William Cheung's own development. As he fought and pressure-tested things I think he adjusted and changed his Wing Chun. He took his Wing Chun in one direction, Bruce Lee took it in another. I think the big difference was the western boxing influence.
On the last point none taken, I actually agree tbh. I'll PM ya with the why, some as I was taught, others that I have concluded based to a fair amount of academic research (the would be Historian never really died, as I think is apparent on more than one thread I have participated in ;) )

angelariz

Green Belt
Reaction score
We all know that JKD can be rather difficult to actually define. There are several versions from "JKD Concepts" to "Original JKD" to "Chinatown JKD" to "Jun Fan JKD."

One possible version would be simply taking a good background and knowledge of Wing Chun and overlying it on a boxing foundation. In other words....adapting Wing Chun to be done with boxing biomechanics and punching rather that classical Wing Chun biomechanics. Then use the JKD concepts that Bruce Lee derived separate from Wing Chun such as the 5 ways of attack.

Do you guys think this would be something that could be called "Jeet Kune Do"? Why or why not?
It would be your own system. And your system will develop and assimilate tools other systems if you are honest and put in some fight time in and out of the ring.
Without fighting, there isn't any JKD. The truth of combat comes when you are out there in real situations and training scenarios.

Many people sit at home doing drills and 2 man partner sets, and look really good trapping, and doing high kicks or whatever, but when they glove up, the truth comes out.

Contemporary Jeet Kune Do uses other arts as well as a little bit of VC.
But only a little bit.

Latest Discussions