Jhoon Rhee & Hee Il Choi

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If the WTF/Kukkiwon is developing new Poomsae, it is my sincere wish that they contain two things:

1. The power and body development of the Palgue forms.
2. The more modern techniques of Tae Kwon Do.

Keep in mind, the Palgue forms are a snapshot of what Tae Kwon Do was like in the 50's-60's: still a Japanese influence but asserting its own identity. As a result, the Japanese inluence was still obvious while the Korean technique is becoming more apparent. I really hope that the new forms reflect more modern accepted Tae Kwon Do technique. That doesn't mean they have to include 540-degree jump kicks or alternating roundhouse kicks, but having more jump/back/flying kicks would be nice.
Keep in mind, the new forms should not merely reflect sport TKD. Forms should A. Make your body strong and B. Showcase accepted TKD technique. The new forms will hopefully retain the grace and power of traditional TKD while incorporating the more modern techniques.
Hope this makes sense. Typing under the influence of Guinness can be tricky sometimes:)

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MichiganTKD said:
If the WTF/Kukkiwon is developing new Poomsae, it is my sincere wish that they contain two things:

1. The power and body development of the Palgue forms.
2. The more modern techniques of Tae Kwon Do.

Keep in mind, the Palgue forms are a snapshot of what Tae Kwon Do was like in the 50's-60's: still a Japanese influence but asserting its own identity. As a result, the Japanese inluence was still obvious while the Korean technique is becoming more apparent. I really hope that the new forms reflect more modern accepted Tae Kwon Do technique. That doesn't mean they have to include 540-degree jump kicks or alternating roundhouse kicks, but having more jump/back/flying kicks would be nice.
Keep in mind, the new forms should not merely reflect sport TKD. Forms should A. Make your body strong and B. Showcase accepted TKD technique. The new forms will hopefully retain the grace and power of traditional TKD while incorporating the more modern techniques.
Hope this makes sense. Typing under the influence of Guinness can be tricky sometimes:)
Michagan TKD I agree the new set of forms should include power and grace but I bet they are more like the Taegueks which is pretty simple. Sorry I mis quoted on the wrong forms just had a Heart attack a couple days ago still a little dopey I guess for I know you do the palgue patterns. Take care and we will have to see.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heart attack!?? I hope you are okay, Terry. Goes to show it can happen to anyone. Please rest now and get better,my thoughts and prayers are with you. TW

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Terry!!! OMG!!! Keep us posted and take excellent care of yourself.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'll be alright just need bed rest for a couple of weeks. Luckily I have a good wife and a great partner that will keep my Dojaang running while I'm gone for that period on the other hand i have a computer and direct tv to keep me company. I do have some video of techniques i can watch and Kung pow was on this am on tnt great. Thank you for your concerns and I'll be back before to long.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Terry, good luck with your recuperation. Glad someone is able to step in and cover your classes for you.

DuneViking said:
Thanks for the info, what happened to the others? Is anyone aquainted with Um, Uoon Kyu (Uhm, Woon Kyu?)and the Korean Tae Kwon Do Association of America?
GM UHM, Woon Kyu is president of Kukkiwon and Chung Do Kwan. GM Ronald Rose is president of Korean Taekwondo Associaion of America. Don't know about all the others, but GM LEE, Sa Man passed away years ago, he was my Master's Master.

[/QUOTE]..l. I found a website [http://www.sos.mtu.edu/husky/tkdhist.htm] with this info :[/QUOTE] That is a somewhat abbreviated version of what happened. If you want more information, I might suggest you review "The Modern History of Taekwondo" which is a Korean book translated and posted by my senior Glenn and found now on many websites. As a side issue, the author of that article wrote a scathing piece on Taekwondo for Classical Fighting Arts magazine. It was a really dumb article.

[/QUOTE] Uoon Kyu Um is mentioned among the original students of Grand Master Lee and so is Jhoon Rhee but, in this version, there is no mention at all of General Choi Hong Hi. The omission is incorrect and was made for political reasons.[/QUOTE] No, actually the omission of Gen Choi was not for political reasons.

Gen Choi says he studied Shotokan Karate in Japan but when WWII ended, he did not train at the Chung Do Kwan (as did those 17 members, including GM NAM,Tae Hi who was personal secretary to GM LEE, Won Kuk before he started training). Gen Choi was given an honorary 4th dan by GM SON, Duk Song who later revoked it.

Miles

DuneViking

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Miles said:
Terry, good luck with your recuperation. Glad someone is able to step in and cover your classes for you.

GM UHM, Woon Kyu is president of Kukkiwon and Chung Do Kwan. GM Ronald Rose is president of Korean Taekwondo Associaion of America. Don't know about all the others, but GM LEE, Sa Man passed away years ago, he was my Master's Master.
..l. I found a website [http://www.sos.mtu.edu/husky/tkdhist.htm] with this info :[/QUOTE] That is a somewhat abbreviated version of what happened. If you want more information, I might suggest you review "The Modern History of Taekwondo" which is a Korean book translated and posted by my senior Glenn and found now on many websites. As a side issue, the author of that article wrote a scathing piece on Taekwondo for Classical Fighting Arts magazine. It was a really dumb article.

[/QUOTE] Uoon Kyu Um is mentioned among the original students of Grand Master Lee and so is Jhoon Rhee but, in this version, there is no mention at all of General Choi Hong Hi. The omission is incorrect and was made for political reasons.[/QUOTE] No, actually the omission of Gen Choi was not for political reasons.

Gen Choi says he studied Shotokan Karate in Japan but when WWII ended, he did not train at the Chung Do Kwan (as did those 17 members, including GM NAM,Tae Hi who was personal secretary to GM LEE, Won Kuk before he started training). Gen Choi was given an honorary 4th dan by GM SON, Duk Song who later revoked it.

Miles[/QUOTE]
Thanks Miles,
Hard, with the nature of the internet, to know what facts in an article are correct. Appreciate the update!

kickillustrated

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Dear All,

Jhoon Rhee was originally from the Chung Do Kwan...This was during the General Choi Hong Hi days. He is coined the Father of American TKD after a meeting with the General in which he adopted the Chang Hon Hyungs of TKD!

Hee Il Cho was a member of the original ITF-Demo Team...He was with General Choi for a long time (many years...) this was prior to the creation of the WTF!

TAEKWON!
SPookey
i think he came many years later. The original ITF team started in 1965 in Germany when the Koreans were invited by Mike Anderson.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
..l. I found a website [http://www.sos.mtu.edu/husky/tkdhist.htm] with this info :

Miles[/QUOTE]
Thanks Miles,
Hard, with the nature of the internet, to know what facts in an article are correct. Appreciate the update!
[/QUOTE]

Sadly quoting only some of the facts can give an incorrect impression.

It must be noted that at the time Son Duk-sung took out the Newspaper ad he was no longer head of the Chung Do Kwan (having been removed from that position - I m uncertain if he remained a member - Perhaps Glenn U can advise) It also must be noted that in the same newspaper ad he purportedly "Expelled" GM UHM, Woon Kyu who succeeded his as president and GM Nam Tae Hi . As we know GM GM UHM, Woon Kyu remained president for many years. GM Nam remained a respected member as well. So, if as head of an organization you award something, when no longer head or possibly even a member can you revoke it? The remaining status of GM UHM, Woon Kyu and GM Nam Tae Hi gives a pretty good indication of what the CDK as an organization thought of GM Son's newspaper ad and it's purported action.

WhiteBeltNoStripe

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
HU Lee was also a Chung Do Kwan alum later associating with General Choi and the ITF, and later still leaving the ITF and doing his own thing with great success.
As a newbie, I'm still learning the history of the arts and truly enjoying it. I do find it funny that most people talk bad of ATA knowing the leaders of a lot of the styles all started together and are very similar. There is nothing wrong with ATA/Songahm. The main complaints are some locations charge too much and that damn camo belt, haha. The camo belt issue comes from the same people who say it's not about the belt, it's about the journey. With that being said, Songahm still does not seem to get any respect even though it is a structured, well rounded, vastly popular and liked by those who practice it. The issues people have with ATA have nothing to do with the style/Songahm, yet they trash the ATA name.