Where has the real TKD'ers gone

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Anybody here every thought what happened to the real TKDers of old days did the new breed run them out like the cave man did with the dinosours, did we get hit with the ice age. I read, everyday about all the rumors out there about USTU, AAU, sport TKD versis Od school about the Olympic movement being all but dead. Does anybody rely know anything or are they just rumors..I know I'll be around as the lord lets me be here teaching, but wil TKD...GOD BLESS AMERICA

Langdow

Green Belt
Reaction score
I think as long as there are instructors who stay true to their beliefs in TKD, there will always be real Taekwondoins around. With that being said, there will always be athletes partaking in TKD whether it is in the olympics or not, there will always be people practicing the art for personal reasons, there will always be those hardcore self defense TKD nuts.

As long as instructors are there to teach TKD, there will be TKD.

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
Can you explain what the difference with old TKD v new TKD???http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001
18_2_100v.gif

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Old TKD was the blood and guts training with peopel who sparred with both hands and feet for 1 point regardless fo the weapon or the target. Their forms were crisp, and strong. They spent hours on developing good self defense, and there was a lot of honor, discipline, sincerity, and a good hard work ethic.

Today's TKD is sport oriented with 2nd and 3rd degree black belt children who can barely walk and chew gum at the same time. Forms are not as important as how you make the school look at the next tournament.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Rob Broad said:
The Old TKD was the blood and guts training with peopel who sparred with both hands and feet for 1 point regardless fo the weapon or the target. Their forms were crisp, and strong. They spent hours on developing good self defense, and there was a lot of honor, discipline, sincerity, and a good hard work ethic.

Sounds like the classes my instructors run, except for the substitution of continous sparring instead of tippy-tap point sparring.

But then if I wanted easy, I'd take Kenpo. (To improve on the ever popular inciteful and fair saying in the Kenpo forum) ;) Not that I hink Kenpo's in any bad, just the saying and mentality behind the saying utterly sucks in this case.

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Marginal

Point taken, and I won't tease you about your partial art :wink:

It is good that we can have some playful banter with out people trying kill each other

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Rob Broad said:
Marginal

Point taken, and I won't tease you about your partial art :wink:

Yeah. Just tease me about my spelling, syntax, and grammar first. It's the easier target regardless. (I went into edit mode for THAT? ;) )

Back on topic, the inital question somewhat annoys me for two reasons.

1) If it's being lost, it's the fault of the instructors. If they lack drive and all that whozit, how's a white belt going to know any better?

2) It presumes that it's GONE.

Well, great. Apparently I'm wasting my time no matter what I do. Thanks for that.

It reminds me of someone who came into classes and vanished in the space of two months or so. He was obsessed with etiquette while managing to exhibit zero decorum at the same time. "Please, you MUST go through the doorway ahead of me! You're a higher rank!" followed shortly by a loud guffaw at anything even remotely resembling a joke from one of the instructors etc. He constantly had to be told the difference between a lead leg and a REAR leg kick. He ended up quitting because TKD hadn't been able to defend him in two fights.

I submit that any other concept he picks to associate with is not going to serve him any better. Yet, he's likely going around bullhorning "TKD isn't effective for self-defense." *sigh*

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marginal said:
But then if I wanted easy, I'd take Kenpo. (To improve on the ever popular inciteful and fair saying in the Kenpo forum) ;) Not that I hink Kenpo's in any bad, just the saying and mentality behind the saying utterly sucks in this case.

I wouldnt say that its easy. Maybe you should take a trip to CA. and do a workout with Clyde.

Mike

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MJS said:
I wouldnt say that its easy. Maybe you should take a trip to CA. and do a workout with Clyde.

Mike

Marginal was just making a joke at a line that is found in some of teh older threads in teh Kenpo section. He meant it jets and I took it as jest since I was the one who made the initial comment.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
MJS said:

Mike

I've worked out with Kenpoists before actually. I respect 'em. Like I tried to say in my garbled edit, I wasn't being serious.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I make a conscious effort to teach the way I was taught. My Instructor is very demanding and no nonsense, and so am I. Considering how watered down Tae Kwon Do has become in the world, I still teach it as a Way of Life that builds you up in all aspects. Tae Kwon Do is not supposed to make you a tough street fighter, because street fighters tend to have short careers. It is good for your whole life.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MichiganTKD said:
I make a conscious effort to teach the way I was taught. My Instructor is very demanding and no nonsense, and so am I. Considering how watered down Tae Kwon Do has become in the world, I still teach it as a Way of Life that builds you up in all aspects. Tae Kwon Do is not supposed to make you a tough street fighter, because street fighters tend to have short careers. It is good for your whole life.
Very well put I for one will not let any of my student become a streetfighter as long as I can help build there intelligents, I hope that will always be

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Anybody here every thought what happened to the real TKDers of old days did the new breed run them out like the cave man did with the dinosours....
Where are they? It takes a bit of searching, but the ones you call "real TKDers" are still around. Many of them are lurking on this board as well as other boards. They also can be found teaching in dojos/dojangs around the world. If you know what the "real TKD" looks like, you'll find what you want.

- Ceicei

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ceicei said:
Where are they? It takes a bit of searching, but the ones you call "real TKDers" are still around. Many of them are lurking on this board as well as other boards. They also can be found teaching in dojos/dojangs around the world. If you know what the "real TKD" looks like, you'll find what you want.

- Ceicei
In my area alone is 25 TKD(olympic) style schools student over the years are program to only hear this. My comment was for those of us that are left to start a new path of one with the old so the ART is not left behind..... Thanks for your insight and GOD BLESS AMERICA

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marginal said:
I've worked out with Kenpoists before actually. I respect 'em. Like I tried to say in my garbled edit, I wasn't being serious.

Sorry for the misunderstanding on my part! :asian: Thank you for the clarification.

Mike

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This may not come across very clearly using this venue but I'll give it a shot anyhow.

To my mind the "old fashion" practitioners were not so much "demanding" as "intense". By this I mean that old fashion training wasn't just a matter of following a recipe laid down by a teacher (which COULD be very demanding) but in seeking out the better way of doing things because thats what a person was hungry for ("intense"). To tell you the truth, in Hapkido, you can get to be pretty competent in a relatively short period of time. What separates out the boys from the men (so to speak) is that the dedicated people are always looking to do their techniques better (meaning more accurately; more effectively; under a wider range of circumstances). Its not something they have demanded of them as much as its something that they demand of themselves. Most people will look at these folks and determine that they are wound just a bit too tight, but I bet some motorcyle enthusiasts would say the same about Harley riders and some Baseball folks would say the same about Cubs fans (Go Cubbies :partyon: !!).

Of course, the question follows "where have all these good men gone?" and I submit that you won't find them queuing-up in an office somewhere. Like dedicated golfers, bowlers, tennis players, etc. they will be found wherever they think they can pursue the passion in their lives. Don't think joining an organization guarentees you will run into them. All an organization will do is increase the CHANCES of running into such people. I would also add a note of caution. If they feel anything about their arts the way I feel about mine they probably do not suffer idiots lightly. Asking them "why" they are doing what they are doing will probably earn you a short answer and a cold shoulder and you'll walk away thinking the guy is an arrogant a$$hole. On the other hand comparing and contrasting "hows" will probably open the door to what could become a warm friendship. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ceicei said:

- Ceicei

Yes- there are some old schoolers lurking about- hop onto my schools website, www.classictaekwondo.com and follow link to Otterbein UMC (Martinsburg), and select history of...

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
tkdgirl said:
Yes- there are some old schoolers lurking about- hop onto my schools website, www.classictaekwondo.com and follow link to Otterbein UMC (Martinsburg), and select history of...

Coolness. tkdgirl, I've heard of Ted Hillson before. Usually his name is spoken by people who wish he was still around in the WTA (Grandmaster Son's org- the one I'm in).

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
He's pretty cool- I've gone to one of his classes, and he handles the black belt tests and other belt tests (at least in the Pa/WV/Md areas). I don't know if he travels for the other states that have the same club.

Raewyn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi, Im from New Zealand, and belong to a group called Incorporated Martial Arts, which has the basis of TKD. My training partner and I went to The International Federation of TKD for a look to see what the differences between their grading systems and ours. I couldnt understand that they could have a 1st Dan black belt at the age of 8 years!!!!!! They hve the opportunity to grade at least 3 times a year, we can only grade twice! Im glad our instructor is alot tougher (meaning no disrespect to the ITF) we just seem to do it alot harder which is good for us in the long run.

Latest Discussions