It's official....

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good evening all, it's official I'm inside Kenpo. Last night went to train (learn) Kenpo and I afiliated to this Kenpo Center.

I will keep training TKD tuesday and thursday nights, so Kenpo will be on monday,wensday and friday night. I hope I can endure this.

I want to ask the people who train in two diferent MA's at the same time. It's difficult to stay in focus in each one (MA) and don't get confussed?

Manny

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think the dual training actually helps. I love looking at things from different views/thoughts. But I do think you shoudl focus on one until black belt or advanced rank.

I start in TKD first, but found kenpo a better fit for me, but still owe it all to TKD.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Manny learning to arts is like having a wife and a girlfriend it is the best of both worlds. Keep going until your body tells you otherwise.

Milt G.

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I think the dual training actually helps. I love looking at things from different views/thoughts. But I do think you shoudl focus on one until black belt or advanced rank.

I start in TKD first, but found kenpo a better fit for me, but still owe it all to TKD.

Hello,
I fully agree... Achieve an advanced level in one, or any (at least Shodan) and move to another discipline.
It will be difficult to give both arts their "due" at the same time. There is some difference in philosophy between your choices. One at a time worked best for me.
Enjoy your journey, in any case!
Please keep us posted.
Thank you,
Milt G.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The kicking styles are different, for one thing. I wonder what you would end up using in real life. You should too.
Sean

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thank you very much for the info.If body allows me I will train both MA as I told you, this can help to remove some fat too. I'm a 1st Dan Black Belt in Tae Kwon Do, so this art is deep inside of me there is no problem with this and yes the kicks beetwen Kenpo and TKD are a little diferent. In TKD the round house kick for example is long and chambers almost straight from the body and the impact zone is the instep, in kempo as long as see the impact zone is the shin and it chambers diferently besides almost all the Kenpo kicks are from toe to waist oposed to TKD that are waist and above.

I think I have a solid basis from my training in TKD and Kenpo can give some edge in smart street self defense.

I will enjoy both and I think right now Kenpo has a lot of stuff to show and teach me.

Now I need to buy a black karategi.

Manny

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My take on training dual or more systems is this:

It helps to gather more perspectives, even training and drilling methodology, however at time's it can hinder training in one system if they are greatly varied. For instance like a Northern CMA & a Southern CMA, even though they have the fact that they are both CMA's in common however the core concepts and training of body mechanics differ greatly. For instance the Northern CMA guys/girls like to face an opponent from a side position whereas the Southern CMA guys/girls have more of a central facing position because that's how there "Fa Jing" is transmitted. So if it is something as great of a difference as core body mechanics than you'll have some degree of complication do to the fundamental difference however if they are relatively similar then there shouldn't be much of a problem integrating both.

Good luck and Congrats!

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I believe that it is possible to compartmentalize and effectively train more than one system at the same time. The thing is, just keep them separate when you train them. Don't turn your TKD into kenpo, nor your kenpo into TKD. Practice them for their own merits.

It just makes your schedule hectic. Of course in addition to classtime, you need time to practice outside of class. You can sometimes feel like you are scrambling pretty hard to keep up with everything.

the other thing is, you need to understand one thing: as long as you keep training in more than one art, you will remain less focused on each art. This means that you may never reach the same level of skill in either art, that you MIGHT be able to reach if you focused on only one.

The flip side is that you may more than make up for that possibility by having a couple of different perspectives, and different curriculums. That could make you better overall, than you would otherwise be.

But don't forget that reality, and you need to be OK with that.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thank you very much for the info.If body allows me I will train both MA as I told you, this can help to remove some fat too. I'm a 1st Dan Black Belt in Tae Kwon Do, so this art is deep inside of me there is no problem with this and yes the kicks beetwen Kenpo and TKD are a little diferent. In TKD the round house kick for example is long and chambers almost straight from the body and the impact zone is the instep, in kempo as long as see the impact zone is the shin and it chambers diferently besides almost all the Kenpo kicks are from toe to waist oposed to TKD that are waist and above.

I think I have a solid basis from my training in TKD and Kenpo can give some edge in smart street self defense.

I will enjoy both and I think right now Kenpo has a lot of stuff to show and teach me.

Now I need to buy a black karategi.

Manny
If you think like a kenpoist your high kicking skills become almost useless given the range you will be fighting.
sean

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I believe that it is possible to compartmentalize and effectively train more than one system at the same time. The thing is, just keep them separate when you train them. Don't turn your TKD into kenpo, nor your kenpo into TKD. Practice them for their own merits.

I understand this and I believe it's going to be tough keep both MA separate.

the other thing is, you need to understand one thing: as long as you keep training in more than one art, you will remain less focused on each art. This means that you may never reach the same level of skill in either art, that you MIGHT be able to reach if you focused on only one .

This is true, so I believe maybe I will end focus in only one, be Kenpo or be TKD.

My background is TKD however I know with time and age those flying,jumping,spining high kicks will be an issue, so the low and mid level kicks of kenpo can be easy to achieve.

The flip side is that you may more than make up for that possibility by having a couple of different perspectives, and different curriculums. That could make you better overall, than you would otherwise be.

But don't forget that reality, and you need to be OK with that.

It could be, it could be.

Manny

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I don't really think it is possible to truly compartmentalize different arts. At some point the motion needs to go from mechanical to instinctive, and you really can't have two different instincts to choose between, you will have to make a choice. When I took up kali, kenpo went on a backburner, I just didn't have the time to really devote to both arts, and I'll be the first to say I was a dojo rat. It would help if the two arts focus on different ranges, say judo and karate or a weapon art and an unarmed, but I think you are in a tough spot with TKD and Kenpo, the ranges are pretty darn close and the basic strategy (striking based) is similar. Which way are you going to upward block? You will have to choose, kenpo doesn't do it the same way TKD does, and now we are talking about fundamentals. Kali changed my kenpo, and as far as I am concerned for the better, but another kenpoist may well disagree.

Regardless, welcome to kenpo, I'm glad you found a studio that would work for you.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's true, it's dificult to serve two bosses yes, but why I would train TKD and Kanpo at the same time and don't take just one and focus on it? well as some know I've been strugling with my TKD because in my dojang there is cero self defense aplication of this MA, almost all the classes are the same, kicking the plachagis (using high kicks) and some poomsae.

I'm a grown man with no intention to atend competition, I just want to learn something new and refreshing that can be useful as a SD tool, and I love the aplication of the techs in SD.

Maybe TKD is become a little boring and it seems Kenpo is nice, at least I'm learning something new and not just kicking high.

So I think Kenpo can be what I'm looking but don't want to get rid of TKD yet, at least till I feel secure and confortable with Kenpo.

I feel very fine about the Kenpo, I am learning new stuff and that's is very nice, I have hopes on this and maybe Kenpo will become my thing.

Manny

Latest Discussions