Kenpo Karate in my city

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Our dojo plays music, too. It was distracting at first, but now I don't even notice it.

About the robotic movements, were they working on new material? I find that my movements are pretty robotic when I am working on new techniques (and mostly still thinking about the next move), but in time you learn how the thing flows and commit it to memory and it becomes more refined. My orange techniques looks a lot better than my brown techniques because I've been doing them for three years.

TigerCraneGuy

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I don't think the sensei afiliated to Speakman.

The purple moves are better then the others but nothing special.

Oh my gosh, the apmosfhere inside de dojao is of good friends, somo chat,come laughs, the aplicaction of the techs is relax, but remeber the only girl wearing a blet is the purple one, the others wear no belts and for the moves they make it seems to me they are begginers.

I haven't recived the email of the sensei were he gives me some clue of his lineage, certification or asosciacion, etc.

Manny

Sorry if I sound too serious, Manny.

Must confess that I'm a bit of a headcase: love the art and train almost everyday (twice a week in class where we drill, do techs, and freestyle; just about every other day at home doing forms and techs, banging on the standup bag, stealing ideas from Silat, Kaju, and other vids etc.)

Nothing wrong with a friendly atmosphere; we're pretty informal like that ourselves. Instructors and senior belts are good guys, easy to approach and ask questions of. And on sparring / drill nights, we got hard rock blaring out the speakers.:)

However, when we drill techs or spar, we're serious as; we owe each other that much. And we'll stress effectiveness above all else ie. if something doesn't seem to work, we'll pick away at the kenpoists' execution until we know what's wrong, and then we'll make it work!

I guess you can only go with your gut in deciding whether the place is a good fit for you.

And when your instructor does provide the certs and lineage, you can always check back here or on Kenpotalk. Many high-level practitioners around (not me lol!) to help you.

I do sincerely hope you find a good Kenpo studio. It is an excellent art, and ultra-fascinating to work with.

Best regards,
TCG

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I got the email from the Kenpo sensei. He as student of sensei Hernan Carrasco 5th dan Black Belt, sensei Carrasco was the introductor of Kenpo in Mexico and was stuent of Ed Parker. Right now sensei Carrasco is student of Skip Hancock (Kenpo 2000) 8th dan Black Belt. This is supose to be the lineaje of the Kenpo sensei in my city.

About belt ranking and testing, the sensei wrote me the test and certification is upon the student, it's not a rigurous requirement, the test and certification is upon Kenpo 2000 (don't get it).

Sensei train with music and he's not ortodox so one can wear any sport or fitness clothes.

Manny

Kenpo17

Green Belt
Reaction score
Who is your instructor? Which, if any organizations is your school apart of? and what degree does your instructor currently have and how long has he/she been teaching?

Latest Discussions