Is the kumatie real?

OneKick

White Belt
Reaction score
Okay, I love the movie bloodsport but I was wondering if the kumatie is legit?

I have seen videos of frank dux on YouTube but it really doesn't look that dramatic as the movie. In fact I don't know if I believe the guy to be honest.

Do you guys know of any real bloodsport that is hidden from the public eye?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Rio hero's pretty much does it on YouTube.

Vale tudo is translated as anything goes.

Australia did a series called cage combat. Which got pretty loose.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Maybe not to the dramatisation of that movie...don't forget it was an 80s martial art movie...it takes things to the extreme..but there are underground fight clubs around. But not with the best fighters. The best fighters wouldn't need to compete in thug events like that especially these days. From what I've seen people who compete in those type are those who aren't good enough for proper competitions so have to compete against idiots

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
"kumite" literally translates to "entangled/intertwined/grappling hands". Most use apply the term to many of the different styles of sparring that are used in karate.

As to "The Kumite" in the movie, yes it was a real event. There was a Blackbelt article about it in the early 80's. It wasn't so much a "secret" as it was just well known.

Here is a link to an article that talks about Frank Dux that you can decide what it true, what is exaggerated and what is not true.
The Real Frank Dux - Bloodsport True Story

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
There are "underground" fights. It's not as special as the movies make it seem. Usually it's a tournament with 8 fighters. Then it goes to 4 and then 2 and then the winner. The winner usually got around $500. No rounds no rules. No one died from what I remember. A couple of broken bones tho.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
first rule about fight club is ,, dont talk about fight club

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
There are "underground" fights. It's not as special as the movies make it seem. Usually it's a tournament with 8 fighters. Then it goes to 4 and then 2 and then the winner. The winner usually got around $500. No rounds no rules. No one died from what I remember. A couple of broken bones tho.

$500 is stuff all. Why bother.

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
$500 is stuff all. Why bother.
Most of the people were pretty poor. This didn't happen in the richest area of town. Plus usually there was an event each month. If you won each month, you'd be making an additional $6000 a year. I regret partaking in it.

Reedone816

Blue Belt
Reaction score
There was/is an unsanctioned fights in my town, where expatriates bet on fighter.
And there are yearly independence day even in several towns that put a stage for anyone to fight one on one bare knuckle stand up rule.
Several students of mma, boxing and tma use this platform to train their mentality.

Sent from my Lenovo A7010a48 using Tapatalk

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
One of the most disappointing movie vs. reality stories that I've ever seen in my life lol. This uniform doesn't help either

This doesn't help either

Maybe I'm just projecting my dislike of the American Ninja 4 movie
AN4-3.png

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
AN4-3.png

For some strange reason, the uniform in the last pic reminds me of the uniforms the aliens in the short lived tv series V wore, except there's were red.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
For some strange reason, the uniform in the last pic reminds me of the uniforms the aliens in the short lived tv series V wore, except there's were red.
lol...that's funny because you are right lol. what's up with that? Trend maybe?
Michael-Jackson-Thriller-Jacket-570x708.jpg

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh, for the love of honey...

Look, there's a rule here against fraud busting... and I'm really going to try here... but, frankly, I think I'm going to overstep that particular regulation by a wide margin here, mainly due to the fact that Frank Dux, along with Ashida Kim, is pretty much the best known poster boy for fraud in the modern martial arts that there is. Everything about him is invented, false, misleading, lies, and fraudulent. Most of all his "story" that he sold as a movie, and a feature article to Black Belt magazine in the 80's.

"kumite" literally translates to "entangled/intertwined/grappling hands". Most use apply the term to many of the different styles of sparring that are used in karate.

As to "The Kumite" in the movie, yes it was a real event. There was a Blackbelt article about it in the early 80's. It wasn't so much a "secret" as it was just well known.

Here is a link to an article that talks about Frank Dux that you can decide what it true, what is exaggerated and what is not true.
The Real Frank Dux - Bloodsport True Story

The whole thing is a steaming pile of garbage. The fact that anyone believes word one of this delusional fantasy of a raving lunatic is probably the most distressing aspect of this thread to me.

The man made up an instructor who didn't exist, who taught him an art that never existed. He lied about his military record and history, wore incorrect (and un-earned) medals in photos, and, when called on it, claimed that first, he'd never said he had any medals, despite being on record talking about them, then said that the photo of him in uniform he's used to back up his claims, was a "Halloween costume". He is a charlatan of the highest order, sadly these days completely convinced of the accuracy of his lies. Pretty much every aspect of his claims, his story, his history, the idea of "The Kumite", and more have been thoroughly debunked over and over again over the last few decades.

There is no credibility to anything he has ever said or claimed.

One of the most disappointing movie vs. reality stories that I've ever seen in my life lol. This uniform doesn't help either

Those poor kids....

This doesn't help either

This is typical of Dux's "ninjitsu"... nothing even remotely looking like Japanese arts, instead aping 70's Chinese "Kung Fu" movies... in form, function, and naming conventions... seriously, if anyone thought he had any credibility, or that there was any reality to his claims, this should be the end of those thoughts immediately.

AN4-3.png

Not really... where do you think Frank got the idea from? Their really nothing like any Japanese uniform at all... it's a highly bizarre take on kami-shimo... stylised for the movie... which Frank took on as evidence that his "ninjitsu" was legitimate... after all, it looked just like the (thoroughly baseless) movie version!

So... to take this back to the OP... no. Frank Dux's imaginary "tournament" (which he has contradicted a number of times, as have his friends in an attempt to help him... which is hilarious, by the way) never happened. Frank Dux, as seen in his movie, and talked about in his stories, also never happened.

Latest Discussions