Why I (and you) train in martial arts?

B

BaktoBasics

Hello everyone,

I'm curious, why do you train in martial arts?

After having transplant surgery and being out of it for 2 years (i'm only 21 so i'm still anxious to get back into it) i began to contemplate the issue of "martial arts".

I attended a wing chun school and noticed most of the people there do martial arts to learn to fight - to literally pick fights and hurt people. Then, a muay thai school - their purpose being to win in the ring. A boxing school whose goal was similar to that of the muay thai... and, then, I stumbled on a kendo dojo (ranimei?).

Now, I started MA since I was 3. First TKD (2nd dan) then boxing (4 years) then wing chun (1 year) and fencing (2 years). However, never in my lufe have I encountered "budo". I thought it was wonderful. Certainly brings a new dimension to martial arts. It adds meaning beyond mere winning in the ring or hurting people.

So, i can say the reason i now do martial arts is for a cultural experience and the whole mental side of it. As opposed to my teen years when i wanted to be the next frank dux (u know, van damme in bloodsport (the movie).

Its really been good to think about martial arts and understandthe whole history and culture. I think japanese martial arts are much more culturally rich than others - would anyone disagree?

Thus, in light of my physical restrictions, I decided to start jodo.

Look forward to learning what u all thinkl.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It was after an industral accident that broke both legs and required surgery to repair that started me in the MA..I need to learn how to walk, balance again as well as put strenght and flexability back in these long unused limbs..I just never stoped..

MartialIntent

Black Belt
Reaction score
Good question BaktoBasics - I think not only do different folk have their different training motivations, but also that each of us modify our reasons and outlooks as we continue and mature on our martial path. Like a lot here I'm sure, I got into the arts from movies and wanting to "be able to do what he does". As I've got older... ahem [mid thirties - *old*] I've begun to widen my sights into - as you say - the cultural aspects, the spiritual side and dare I say it, even philosophical issues. I think there's way more to MA than what's initially obvious at the beginning of one's journey.

I think the martial arts can be a more than adequate companion to each of us as we travel through all the various stages of our lives. Good luck with your rehab/recovery!

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
BaktoBasics said:
Hello everyone,

I'm curious, why do you train in martial arts?

After having transplant surgery and being out of it for 2 years (i'm only 21 so i'm still anxious to get back into it) i began to contemplate the issue of "martial arts".

I attended a wing chun school and noticed most of the people there do martial arts to learn to fight - to literally pick fights and hurt people. Then, a muay thai school - their purpose being to win in the ring. A boxing school whose goal was similar to that of the muay thai... and, then, I stumbled on a kendo dojo (ranimei?).

Now, I started MA since I was 3. First TKD (2nd dan) then boxing (4 years) then wing chun (1 year) and fencing (2 years). However, never in my lufe have I encountered "budo". I thought it was wonderful. Certainly brings a new dimension to martial arts. It adds meaning beyond mere winning in the ring or hurting people.

So, i can say the reason i now do martial arts is for a cultural experience and the whole mental side of it. As opposed to my teen years when i wanted to be the next frank dux (u know, van damme in bloodsport (the movie).

Its really been good to think about martial arts and understandthe whole history and culture. I think japanese martial arts are much more culturally rich than others - would anyone disagree?

Thus, in light of my physical restrictions, I decided to start jodo.

Look forward to learning what u all thinkl.

Well, I'll start off by saying that the WC school that you mention does not seem like a place that I would frequent. Nothing against the art of WC, but if they're doing nothing to correct the poor attitude of the students, well IMHO, it does not say much for the instructors.

As for your question: I originally started for the most common reasons: weight loss, self confidence/discipline/ defense, etc. Today, I continue to train for the SD aspect, but also because I enjoy training! There is so much out there to learn, I don't think that I'd ever find it in me to not train.

Mike

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For me it was a combination of self-defense and a need for more exercise, combined with a general interest in the Oriental martial arts.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It helps keep my mind in a calm place and my body in half way respectible shape.
I am simply not the same person when not studying and practiceing the arts

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
arnisador said:
For me it was a combination of self-defense and a need for more exercise, combined with a general interest in the Oriental martial arts.
Same here, I kept getting beaten up in school and got sick of tired of being sick and tired of it all. Thus began learning from whomever. My father who was a (school and street) fighter in his day, told me that going to a MA school just wasn't in our budget at the time. So I learned from whomever would teach me.
Later as my confidence and experience grew, I began to glean an increasing interest in the deeper aspects of MA. The history and spirituality of it. During that period I also began to utilize my MA training to look deeper into myself and to fight my own inner personal demons. The philosophy of using the mind to fight your opponent whether internal or external began to take root.
Now I study to keep my forms and techs in shape, though much of what I've learned I had to "throw-away" because I'm no longer physically able to do them, i.e. TKD's round-house kicks and spinning jump kicks, ok mainly because I haven't been practicing and mainly because I haven't found a suitable need for it. Most of the confrontations I've had were close quarter type situations and those kicks and moves were useless. But they're still good to know for open area conflicts (i.e. parking lots, empty sidewalks, etc.).
I also by and large just simply enjoy it. I've found applications for the other things I do that can intergrate my MA training.

Why quit at all?