Am I too old to start training?

RalphIsMyName

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm 30 years old and very interested in Muay Thai. I'm very interested in training but i keep getting apprehensive about it. I have zero experience in martial arts so I'm worried and I admit, a little intimidated about it. I've been a weight lifter my entire life. Im about 6'5 220 pounds so strength isn't an issue but I'm not very flexible at all. I'm also epileptic which is concerning because I can't take shots to the head. I'm not interested in competing or getting in tournaments I just want to learn the craft and learn how to be confident in defending myself. Would it be a bad idea for me to take lessons considering my inexperience, age, and epilespy? I live in the greater chicago area. Thanks in advance for your feedback and i greatly respect anyone who is in or has been in martial arts.

gerardbu07059

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
As long as your physician has cleared u out to do strenuous exercises then my answer is no you are not too old to train. I seen woman older than you taken ip the sport for the health benefits

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
At 30 it is about time to do something new.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hell no what's the point you'll be dead soon of old age so what's the point.....

That's what I'd say if we were in the 1920s...seriously since when was 30 considered old some people don't start fighting in competitions until late in life. Randy couture didnt start training in mma until he was 36 and he became one of the greatest fighters of all time. Go train or don't train but don't use age as an excuse not to

MrRazot

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
As everyone is saying above, age isn't really an excuse these days.
There's no shame in taking a beginners class, and most teachers should be willing to do 1 on 1 sessions.

I would talk to a doctor about the epilepsy before anything though, but there are non-competitive martial arts out there that don't revolve around constant blows to your face.

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
We have quite a few folks on here who started later in life, it's not a problem, I started TKD at 43 and BJJ at 46. If you're worried about headshots, how about a grappling art?

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
In two weeks, Dr. Harlan van Over is going to be inducted as a Master in Songahm Taekwondo. He's 95 and started when he retired from his career as a doctor at age 65.

You're never too old.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm 30 years old and very interested in Muay Thai. I'm very interested in training but i keep getting apprehensive about it. I have zero experience in martial arts so I'm worried and I admit, a little intimidated about it. I've been a weight lifter my entire life. Im about 6'5 220 pounds so strength isn't an issue but I'm not very flexible at all. I'm also epileptic which is concerning because I can't take shots to the head. I'm not interested in competing or getting in tournaments I just want to learn the craft and learn how to be confident in defending myself. Would it be a bad idea for me to take lessons considering my inexperience, age, and epilespy? I live in the greater chicago area. Thanks in advance for your feedback and i greatly respect anyone who is in or has been in martial arts.
all as others have said, but id steer clear of Muay Thai if you don't want kicking in the head

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you plan on signing up for tiny tigers, little dragons, pee-wees or juniors, then absolutely - 30 is too old. If you're looking to train with adults, then being too old at 30 is an excuse rather than a reason.

I'd definitely consult with a physician regarding training with epilepsy though. And not a general practitioner, but a neurologist.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Never too old. Just choose wisely. And remember that everyone started inexperient.

From my experience, Muay Thai requires great fitness (cardio). After all, it is essentially a combat sport. If it pleases you, go ahead! If not, go ahead too. No two clubs are the same.

PS: About shots to the head: you may avoid some moments of the training and advise your partners and instructor(s). Shots to the head will be less frequent, but always a risk.

Last edited:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to MT, bro.

As for old, I have a sweatshirt that's thirty years old. Just breaking in.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

If you want an excuse not to start training, you'll find one. If you want to start training, you will.

You are not too old to start training

Latest Discussions