Is the EWTO finally getting a legit grappling game?

bezzerk

White Belt
Reaction score
Does BJJ not include striking?

I'd assume that learning to strike is easier than learning how to roll around on the ground.

Why don't they simply complete their system with a few basic strikes and kicks?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'd assume that learning to strike is easier than learning how to roll around on the ground.

Because every system must focus somewhere.

OP
G

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
...A system should strive the be complete and offer solutions for every thinkable scenario. Why does wing chun not automatically do this? Did none of the old wing chun gurus every feel like ground defense might be important?

Sure, old school WC, like most TCMA (Traditional Chinese Martial Arts) included ti-da-shuai-na or kicking, punching, locking, and throwing, adequate for it's time and context. But it is also a specialized martial art that is highly developed for stand-up (striking) infighting. No art excels equally in all ranges and types of fighting. My belief is let WC focus on what it does best. If you want in depth training in grappling, study a grappling art. For sticks, knives and improvised weapons, try FMA. For firearms.... well you get the idea.

As far as one art teaching everything? Well you will get about the same quality in each specialty area as you do at the food court at the outlet mall!:p

bezzerk

White Belt
Reaction score
Ok but you also won't find a basketball player who only trains throwing the ball.

Why not simply practice some punches/kicks before you take somebody to the ground?

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Classic BJJ does include some basic strikes and kicks. With the current focus on sport competition, not all schools teach them, but they are part of the art.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok but you also won't find a basketball player who only trains throwing the ball.

Why not simply practice some punches/kicks before you take somebody to the ground?
You also won't find a basketball player who practices soccer-style dribbling as part of his basketball. It's a different thing.

bezzerk

White Belt
Reaction score
But it is also a specialized martial art that is highly developed for stand-up (striking) infighting. No art excels equally in all ranges and types of fighting.

But being too specialized can also be negative.

Do you do grappling stuff on your own? Or do you not worry about this?

bezzerk

White Belt
Reaction score
Classic BJJ does include some basic strikes and kicks. With the current focus on sport competition, not all schools teach them, but they are part of the art.

To me it doesn't really make sense to learn BJJ for self-defense when you know exactly that in order to "win" you need to drag the attacker to the
ground. This won't even work against multiple attackers.

If I only knew BJJ then I'd also worry and think what if ground fighting isn't an option?

OP
G

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
To me it doesn't really make sense to learn BJJ for self-defense when you know exactly that in order to "win" you need to drag the attacker to the
ground. This won't even work against multiple attackers.

If I only knew BJJ then I'd also worry and think what if ground fighting isn't an option?

Are you sure you aren't Kehcorpz? Anyway each art has its place. I love WC and Escrima. I'd be studying BJJ too except I'd get killed. ...By my Wife :D

She's a patient woman, but adding one more martial art would be a bridge too far...

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you sure you aren't Kehcorpz? Anyway each art has its place. I love WC and Escrima. I'd be studying BJJ too except I'd get killed. ...By my Wife :D

She's a patient woman, but adding one more martial art would be a bridge too far...
Yours, too?

bezzerk

White Belt
Reaction score
I don't think I have the stability for BJJ. My joints already hurt on their own.

OP
G

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
But being too specialized can also be negative.

Do you do grappling stuff on your own? Or do you not worry about this?

I grew up wrestling. But that's strictly a sport. Still, it taught me how to move on the ground ...and to like being down there. I'd love to take up BJJ, but I'm old now (in my 60s) , and my time is limited too.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I grew up wrestling. But that's strictly a sport. Still, it taught me how to move on the ground ...and to like being down there. I'd love to take up BJJ, but I'm old now (in my 60s) , and my time is limited too.

Wrestling has been used to train warriors for longer than pretty much any other martial art.

anerlich

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Does this mean that unless they also teach some grappling techniques at your school you should just go and take jiu jitsu lessons additionally somewhere else?

A number of people on this forum have taken that approach. As did I, and my Wing Chun instructor.

No one HAS to do anything. What you practise depends on your goals for studying martial arts.

A system should strive the be complete and offer solutions for every thinkable scenario. Why does wing chun not automatically do this? Did none of the old wing chun gurus every feel like ground defense might be important?

The style of Wing Chun I practise does in fact have techniques for use if you are knocked over and put on the ground. However, the emphasis is on either incapacitating the opponent with kicks, pushing/keeping them away long enough to regain your feet, or finding a way to knock them down so you can regain your feet. Wing Chun strategy is to get up as quickly as possible if you are knocked down.

A more ground-fighting oriented style like Jiu Jitsu has a far wider arsenal of techniques for use if you, the opponent, or both of you have hit the floor. If there is little chance of intervention by outsiders the Jiu Jitsu fighter may elect to wrap the guy up tight with arms and legs, both of them on the floor, and immobilize him, before strangling or choking him unconscious, threatening him with joint damage, etc.

People decry Jiu Jitsu because of "MULTIPLE OPPONENTS" but they have not understood that while Jiu Jitsu strategy often times will have you put the opponent on the ground, where most people have fewer options, it does not obligate you to go down there with them. You can keep them pinned with knee on stomach while working a verbal fence with other attackers, for example ... but in reality, you have to be ridiculously good and extremely lucky to prevail unarmed against multiple attackers, whatever style you employ, including Wing Chun. You can try, and practice for such scenarios, and many of us do that, but I'm still putting my money on the other guys no matter who you are.

Realistically, no style has all the answers to every scenario. It's called Mixed Martial Arts for a reason.

In any case, outside of war zones and professional warriors, training all out with the only goal being to prepare yourself for a violent assault which will probably never come, seems like a pretty sad and desperate way to live your life. If you are reasonably alert, stay away from drunk people and drugs and places where they congregate, and don't do stupid sh*t to antagonise other people, your chances of assault are pretty damn low.

According to the CDC you are several thousand times more likely to die of lifestyle-related heart disease than from a violent assault ... and your training priorities should reflect that IMO. You will never train, so this advice is strictly academic.

Last edited:

anerlich

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I'm 62 and doing BJJ around 4 times a week. I've met guys in their seventies who are quite good. It may not be as bad as you think. You spend a lot of time lying down ;)

anerlich

Brown Belt
Reaction score
oes BJJ not include striking?

The older Gracies and their contemporaries did. It's called Vale Tudo. Watch a movie called "Choke" about Rickson Gracie winning a world championship.

But you WILL find martial arts forum members who ask incessant questions that could all be answered in half an hour in an actual class, but never train.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Yeah learning to strike is easier how about you try it

Latest Discussions