Seperate evolution

R

RMACKD

I just thought I would mention two unique promotions and see people's opinions on them. These two promotions/arts are sort of the platypuses of mma. They aren't vale tudo/mma but they kind of split off into a different species.

Shootboxing-Typically advertised as standing vale tudo. Fighters can kick, punch, knee, throw, takedown, and I am not sure if they can elbow. The main difference between this and other striking and throwing sports is that shootboxing allows submissions but the trick is you have to do all this standing up. Shootboxers have done o.k. in mma bouts but they need to learn groundwork and also with the takedowns in shootboxing you do not have to worrk what position you land in unlike mma. I am sure that there is also a difference between the clinch game in shootboxing and mma but I am not sure.

Seikendo
This is a art and promotion created by Sayama the founder of shooto. Although he is a bit unpopular I still do like the fact he is willing to evolve and not make excuses. Two examples are when bjj came onto the scene he added the positioning strategy and guard work too shooto. The second example is when shooto fighters started losing in vale tudo events by punches on the ground. He realized that striking changed the grappling game a lot and he incorperated groundstriking into shooto and allowed punching on the ground in shooto events.(punching used to not be allowed). He has also trained several good fighters like Inoue, Nakai, and many other fighters. His new Seikendo promotion allows both standup fighting and groundfighting. So what is the difference between this and mma? Well no submissions are allowed. Only punching on the ground. Fighters wear 10 ounce boxing gloves. He cliams that standup fighters like Pedro Rizzo and Igor V. train similarily to Seikendo but both these fighters now how to avoid subs and perform them. The lack of submission knowledge makes it hard for Seikendo fighters to transfer to mma. For example there shots will probaly be vunerable to a guillotine choke, they grappling does not include subs, and they can punch on the ground in seikendo without having to worry about subs which makes the strikes different then from what you would find in mma. Sayama claims Seikendo is more of a street art and the knee on stomach is one of the most important positions in seikendo. Sayama uses a lot of Russian fighters in Seikendo because he feels there is a lot of talent there and the reason that the Russians are not that well known in nhb is because most nhb fighters are poor in russia, relativel unkown, there nhb events are not very well known, and they do not have yenouph money to travel to bigger events and fight. Sayama gives the Russian fighters good money and truly believes that Russia is the undiscovered gold mine of mma fighters. He even went on to claim that Igor V. should be considered the "normal" weapon of the north and not the most dangerous. I do not know if Sayama still teaches shooto or takes part in there events. I also do not know how long fighters are allowed on the ground. Any opinions or anything else to add on?

OP
N

NotQuiteDead

Shootboxing sounds like sanshou/sanda but with standing submissions. Do the fighters fight similarly?

OP
R

RMACKD

They do fight pretty similarily. A lot of shootboxers fight in sanshou and vice versa.

OP
R

RSJ

Very interesting, though I wonder about no ground subs....:mp5: :jedi1: .