Is size a concern?

Glycerine0160

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Just curious, for a while I was trying to make it up to 150-160lbs when i was at 125. I'm now contently at 142 and over period getting there, I didn't really feel size would matter for JKD if I ever needed to apply it. However, sometimes I find it very difficult to ignore the fact some people can punch a lot harder, and I'm not quite sure it's any slower than mine. (I had always lent to the idea that smaller equals faster)

Should I attempt to get bigger? I do lift twice a week, just to keep my strength up, but I make no effort to bulk up or get any bigger than I am now. Just strength purposes. After reading some message boards about if size helps, it seemed most people though it was an advantage. Thoughts?

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
At your age, I would say don't worry about it. You haven't finished growing yet possibly. Plus, some people are just slender.

Until middle age I was about 10 and a half stone all my life {even counting the added internal metal-work :lol:}. I was six foot but now I'm an inch or so shorter due to compressed bones in my neck (being headbutted by a bike'll do that to you :eek:!).

I did Lau Gar kung Fu, a relative of JKD and never found my size a handicap.

Last edited:

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would have to agree with Sukerkin here and remember Bruce Lee and Chuck Norris was not that big and they packed a punch. Proper technique will always win in the long run.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was 138-140 lbs till my mid 20's. Im up to a lean 178 now. Just be consistent with your exercise and diet and dont go crazy.

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi FC. A Stone of weight is 14 pounds and there are 16 ounces in a pound. Four stones is the standard weight of a sack of potatoes, two of which constitute a hundredweight.

I dont know why people seem to think that Imperial measures are complicated :angel: :lol:.

EDIT: For those interested in how to measure things properly rather than using this heretical metric malarkey, have a look here:

http://home.clara.net/brianp/quickref.html

P.S. Watch out for some things that might sound familiar because the American 'versions' are different ('gallons' is the one that springs immediately to mind).

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
size and weight do have some bearing on all encounters but in the practice of a system it should not.
A person pushing 200 lbs would normally be expected to hit with more force than one that weighs 110. Like wise someone that can bench press 400 lbs should be able to put forth more force than someone who can only bench 100 lbs.
That is one side of the equation. The other is knowledge and ability. Being bigger and stronger dose not mean all that much if you do not know how to use that size and strength

LanJie

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If you have a system that teaches good body mechanics then you can put 142 pounds plus your kinetic energy into your strikes. This will make you very powerful without the need to resort to a lot of protein drinks.

OP
G

Glycerine0160

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hmm.

I do understand that technique and skill is what is most important. But if two people are at equal skill levels, would size be something that would make the difference?

LanJie

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think this is rare.

In my best techniques, they create openings to the floating ribs, an elbow strike to the temple, a poke to the eyes when the other person is sealed.

If you have good conditioning (hard forearms, shins, and knuckles), and are fast, and have good technique the first person to make a mistake is the loser.

I am talking about self defense situations not anything like MMA.

Regards,
Steve

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Being more heavily muscled than your opponent is almost always an advantage. It gives you greater power, as well as more natural 'armour'.

It is important to disillusion yourself to myths like 'being muscle-bound reduces your flexibility' or 'being muscle-bound makes you slower'.

If you have a system that teaches good body mechanics then you can put 142 pounds plus your kinetic energy into your strikes. This will make you very powerful without the need to resort to a lot of protein drinks.

But it will never make you as powerful as the guy who trains just as hard, and goes to the gym and takes his protein as well.

But if two people are at equal skill levels, would size be something that would make the difference?

Yes. A good big fighter will beat a good little fighter every time.

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree Adept, indeed I would've said in the past that I totally agree.

But some comments came up in a recent thread I hosted (to explore the positive issues (and some of the myths) of women and fighting) that caused me to ponder. It all boils down to relative strengths and weaknesses in the end, because we know that old adage about things 'never being equal' is true. So if an opponent is bigger and stronger than you, you have to find a way to maximise your advantages and minimise his.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Everyone has different attributes that they bring to the table. Size/Mass is an attribute that can be of great use in a physical confrontation. Other attributes like speed, vision, mental make up, etc. all can be of advantage in the right set of circumstances and how you bring them into play.

Personally, try to be the best you can be in terms of physical fitness and improve your attributes as much as you can. Also during the same course work your technique and improve in that area as well. Then if you are ever in a violent encounter you will have good attributes and technique working for you!
icon6.gif
(Balance)
icon10.gif

OP
G

Glycerine0160

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I think I found my answer. Maybe I will try to increase my appetite again, bulk some then cut my weight. I have become a lot stronger since my first attempt.

I'm 140 now,
I bench 155lbs
dead lift 275lbs 5 reps 3 sets

Any ways to keep my hand speed up though? Punching with 5 lb weights?

btw, I do sprints and long distance jogs too.
and I play tennis.

I'm in pretty good shape,
I attend to become a police officer soon enough, preferablly the sheriff department like my sifu.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
The bigger they are the harder they fall. They also punch, kick, and choke harder.

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Contrary to popular belief a bigger muscle is a faster muscle or at least has more potential to be faster than a small muscle. Bruce Lee was all about functional muscle and highly stressed body building as a way to achieve much greater power and speed than learning muscle memory of technique alone. Body building also greatly increases bone density and I'm not sure but I'm confident that as long as you don't injure them your ligaments and connective tissues will become more resilient to compensate for the new muscle mass. The maximum strength lies in the connective tissue, not the muscle itself, ex. a person having an epileptic seizure is capable of breaking their own bones especieally if restrained. I'd say do some body building but have clear goals in mind, maybe not a particular weight, just do it until you find your optimum size and remember, if it's not functional muscle it's just a waste of the food used to maintain it. I think getting a little heavier than you want to be is the best way and then toning it down from there. Since it's functional muscle, make sure you're toned in a way that represents the way you move, don't go by any body builder's physique, go by what your body tells you is progress. Personally I prefer isometric exercises like push-ups, wrestling and carrying groceries to enhance my tone but I could use some iron myself. Cross training your martial arts with body building is always a good idea, just get your priorities straight, you're body building to improve your martial arts abilities, not vice-versa.

Semper Fi

White Belt
Reaction score
Any ways to keep my hand speed up though? Punching with 5 lb weights?

That will do nothing for your hand speed.

Just continue to practice punching. If you had one of those elastic things that you can wrap from one hand across your back to the other hand and punch that will help with resistance in the proper fashion.

Brooder

White Belt
Reaction score
What I have always believed is that it does not matter how big, strong, fast, etc you are, but what you know how to do to another person.

OnAQuest

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Size Matters.

But so does Speed. (But muscles help with speed)

So does Timing.

So does Flexibility.

So does Technique.

-----

Think of it this way. I like to play video games, and I'll use one that many people can relate to ..."World of Warcraft"

Your character has many attributes (much like you do in real life as a martial artist).

If you want your character to be the best he can be.....you'll want to maximize ALL of his/her attributes.

If your speed gets better, you become a better Martial Artist.

If your timing gets better, you become a better Martial Artist.

If your Technique gets better......you get the point.

---

I'm only a Yellow belt, but I just competed in my first tournament where I sparred against 2 other similar belts.

I beat them both 5-0, and I can say it was mostly just because I was stronger and faster. (My technique and flexibility need LOTS of work!)

---

In summary:

All of the Attributes matter.

If you're interested in putting on some size and maybe getting a good routine that won't burn you out, send me a PM. I'm only a Yellow in Martial Arts but I've got my Black Belt in the Weight Room. =)

Justin

OP
G

Glycerine0160

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Just figured I would give an update since someone posted here recently. Was in a bit of a conondrum with my lifting.

http://www.trulyhuge.com/news/tips21a.htm

I do a power lifting scheme. Recently, I've been getting some flack from a person in my martial arts who studies sports medicines. He's very good and very knowledgeable, and told me I would benefit more with core exercises and higher reps but still doing compound exercises.

Anyway, as for size, I lost my desire to care. My lifts are still making progress so I'm still getting stronger and still staying my size.
I run a 3x5 program (3 sets 5 reps) i weight 142lbs for a while now
bench 170lbs dead lift 290lbs squat 205lbs

anyway, I also do a little yoga. That sports medicine guy in my JKD establishment told me yoga actually will probably work against my lifting. Lifting requires your body to go in fixed postural positions. Yoga teaches you different positions that might counter act those.

I gave up getting bigger simply because it's really difficult and I realized I can hit pretty hard for my size. MORE IMPORTANTLY, I feel like I'm less tense (as has always been a huge problem for me) and I take my time with my drills in class. Someone on here was right. The best way to get your punches faster and stronger is to bluntly just practice them. I put a lot more emphasis on core things like "keeping your guard up" going slower until I have the drill down , and most importantly, I'm practicing a lot more. I practice in the car, at home when I can, and ESPECIALLY in the gym. during sets I start hacking away at my straight blast and other drills.

Overall here is my conclusion to size
I imagine most of us train for a variety of reasons but most of all, self defense. I also imagine "if" it ever came to a situation of fighting, it will be a street fighter who simply cannot fight. Regardless, even if it's another martial artist, chances are someone else will be more skilled and have put more time into it. Someone who has 500 hours of martial arts behind their belt should beat someone who has 300 hours. I also look at size as, everything has a pro and con. Some people may think, "big people can be fast" (because they have stronger muscles to push them) While that is true, not faster. I compare them to cars. A sleak, fast, lighter car will go faster than a big ford truck. Sure a big ford truck has a bigger engine, but that also means it must compensate for pushing it. A person with big muscles may be quite fast, but his arms must also push that excess muscle weight.