Size and Strength in regards to kids BJJ

Crosswind117

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi all,

How fast a year goes by. Two of my sons (to be aged 7 and 10 by the end of this year) have attend GI classes twice a week for a full year now and a NO-GI class once a week for about last 6 months. The younger son has participated in 3 competitions so far (GI and NO-GI), but the older one has yet to get the experience.

My younger son got a taste of success in tournaments and developed a hunger for more. My older son was also eager to participate in his first tournament; however, the problem was that there weren't any other participants that were at the same age bracket, weight bracket, and belt level. Watching some of my older son's classes, he was easily one of the biggest kids in his class for his age group, and would often use his weight and strength to his advantage during sparring. Note that he was no bully either; in fact he often appeared passive and docile, as if he was careful not to inadvertently injure any smaller sparring partners. Lastly, although he was one of one of the biggest kids in his BJJ class, he was overweight, but not obese, and his height is actually quite average when compared to his elementary school classmates.

For people that teach kids BJJ classes or have children that attend, is it the norm that most students are on the smaller side? Looking at my older son's classes, he makes for a great training partner because the smaller students get to test themselves and their skills against a heavier opponent. But on the flipside, it seems like my older son might miss out on that until he moves into a higher age bracket with hopefully some bigger training partners. Of course, I'm also referring to similar experience levels; because smaller kids with greater experience can still handle him no problem.

Anybody else have any experience with this? and is there any advice that could help my older son get the most out of his classes despite his size and strength advantage?

Any input or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you are clever about your training you can handle bigger people by rolling with smaller ones and trying to not out muscle them.

But it is kind of hard so people don't do it.

Latest Discussions