Is my tkd school a mcdojo?

nuhash

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have been reading around and the term mcdojo came up a few times and after finding the definition i became a bit worried.

My instructor has been training for around 20 years (we actually spent one year in together in the same high school but we never spoke to each other because of the age gap), he says he was trained by a GM at some stage but because he isnt associated with any association he has nothing to prove it

His parents are both black belts in taekwondo and do gradings and stuff they also taught my instructor when he was a kid.

The fact that really bothers me is that my instructor isnt associated with any taekwondo organisation because it helps if he was, i know he teaches ITF style because those are the patterns i have been learning.

The only other info i can give is that i am on my green stripe after 2 gradings in about 6 months (i was allowed to skip my yellow belt) and probably will do my grading for my green belt in about another month or two.

Obviously i'd be somewhat worried, the worst thing would be that it is a mcdojo, then i'd have to go and train at the really expensive tkd school as the one i am at now charges £5 ($3) for one lesson a week and £7($5) for 2 lessons a week.

l_uk3y

Green Belt
Reaction score
My opinion. Ignore the grading side of things as well as specific association. The color around your waste doesn't have everything to do with ability.

Do you honestly feel like your getting a decent training session?

Do you feel like your skills are improving? If yes. In what way?

Do you think that you are on target to hit your goals within 5 or so years of training in that particular school?

If you say yes to those. Then I don't believe its a Mcdojo. If you are suddenly thinking. Hmm. I don't think I am actually learning what I should for the time I am investing, then I would start to be concerned.

rlobrecht

Brown Belt
Reaction score
One of the primary attributes of a McDojang is the financial aspect of it. With the prices you're quoting, I have a hard time thinning your instructor is in it for the money.

ITF TKD has a lot of belts (including all the stripes) which makes for frequent advancement compared to a lot of other styles. I wouldn't worry about that.

As l_uk3y says, if you feel you are learning and getting a decent training, thats the most important thing.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The fact that really bothers me is that my instructor isnt associated with any taekwondo organisation because it helps if he was, i know he teaches ITF style because those are the patterns i have been learning.

Why does it help? Knowledge and skill are independent of membership in a martial arts organization. Judge your instructor by that. If you feel you are learning and improving that is all that matters.

By the way, it's probably an irrelevant distinction to you at your current level, but the fact that he used the Chang Hon patterns does not mean that he teaches the ITF style as set forth in General Choi's books.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I will only say this does it matter? really does it? because if you are getting what you want and you are happy than that is what is the most important area of your training...

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
All I am going to add to this is that not being in an association doesn't really mean much. I have seen some wonderful "independent" schools and some crummy schools that were in an association of some sort. BTW, just google "martial arts association" and you will find hundreds that you can be a part of for a few bucks a year that won't check your credentials.
Basically, if you feel you are getting good training at a good price, just train and stop worrying.

AoG

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have been reading around and the term mcdojo came up a few times and after finding the definition i became a bit worried.

My instructor has been training for around 20 years (we actually spent one year in together in the same high school but we never spoke to each other because of the age gap), he says he was trained by a GM at some stage but because he isnt associated with any association he has nothing to prove it

His parents are both black belts in taekwondo and do gradings and stuff they also taught my instructor when he was a kid.
Why are you worried about him proving it? Has he given you some reason to question his background?

What is it that bothers you and what is it that you think a larger organization would help with? Unless you place a high priority on a federation specific tournament circuit, are intent upon going for olympic gold or move every few months (and want some kind of rank portability), I'm not sure how important the organization is.

Also, as DA said, Chang Hon forms does not mean ITF taekwondo.

The only other info i can give is that i am on my green stripe after 2 gradings in about 6 months (i was allowed to skip my yellow belt) and probably will do my grading for my green belt in about another month or two.
This is actually rather meaningless on the McDojo scale. The belt color is an indicator of where you are as a student. So long as you are getting all of the material up to the point of green belt, the number of belts or their colors between white and green is unimportant.

The time frame you present is that of about seven or eight months. Green belt is usually at about eight months to a year, depending on where green falls in the progression, so I really don't see this as a problem or an indicator of a McDojo.

Obviously i'd be somewhat worried, the worst thing would be that it is a mcdojo, then i'd have to go and train at the really expensive tkd school as the one i am at now charges £5 ($3) for one lesson a week and £7($5) for 2 lessons a week.
Five bucks a week and you're worried that your school is a McDojo??? That's about twenty to twenty five dollars a month for two lessons a week! What are you worrying about?

Daniel

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How long are the lessons? five to six quid for two hours is about the average price for a good school/club, five quid for three quarters of an hour isn't.
I know a lot of very good places that aren't under any association. If it's insurance you are worried about ask to see the docs and check up on them otherwise as others have said if you're happy, stay!

Latest Discussions