Green Belt...

BobHope

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I've recently passed my Green Belt grading!

I was thinking about changing schools as the one I'm in does appear to be more about making money that teaching people Tae Kwon Do. (See other thread about grading intervals)

Unfortunately, I've noticed some discrepancies about what various other schools list in their syllabus for Green Belt and I'm not worried that what I know isn't up to the standard and I'll be needing to retrain a fair bit if I move schools.

My grading for Green belt saw me do...

• Chon-Ji
  • Do-San
  • Dan-Gun
  • 3 Step Sparring 1-9
  • Associated basics with above patterns
  • Sparring style basics
  • Basic Self Defence
Is this about right, or am I missing bits?

Thoughts and comments greatly appreaciated!

Cheers

Bobby

FieldDiscipline

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I cant really see anything wrong with that.

Just a thought, the longer you wait, the more retraining you will need (if any).

Congratulations.

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
If you are not happy where you are leave now.

Look and find a school that you feel will meet your needs.
I have had some students come into my dojo and had to bring them up to the rank thay came into. If your not that far off for ranking items then most will not make a big deal out of it. I have had Black belts 2nd degrees come in to my Dojo and after working with them for 2 hrs told them I would have them come in at green belt or brown belt rankings.

But I then work with them to brush things up to help them get back to the rank they earned from someone else.

good luck with what you choose.

Kosho

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congrats!!!!:highfive:

Kennedy_Shogen_Ryu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Congratulations on taking another step forward in your martial journey!

I've said it before and I'll say it again, above all be true to yourself, if you're unhappy with where you are then you should leave, and if you go to a different school and show them that you're willing to train hard and dedicate yourself I'm sure it will be no time at all before you either attain the same rank or grade higher!

On a personal note I'd love if I could go back to white belt, you can ask the craziest questions in the world and point to your belt as an excuse!

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I was thinking about changing schools as the one I'm in does appear to be more about making money that teaching people Tae Kwon Do. (See other thread about grading intervals)

Unfortunately, I've noticed some discrepancies about what various other schools list in their syllabus for Green Belt and I'm not worried that what I know isn't up to the standard and I'll be needing to retrain a fair bit if I move schools.

• Chon-Ji
  • Do-San
  • Dan-Gun
  • 3 Step Sparring 1-9
  • Sparring style basics
  • Basic Self Defence

Cheers

Bobby

That's about what we do for green belt, except that green belts also break (1 hand and 1 foot break - I'd have to go check my book to remember what the choices are).

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Congrats on your belt! I'm going for mine on Nov. 30th myself. I can't wait to get something a little darker than the bright orange I'm wearing now :lol:

Sorry about your school. As others have said, if you don't like your school find another if you can. If you stay with an ITF affiliated TKD school you should be fine with your achievements, as those are ITF patterns. Another school may well make you retest so that you gain the belt there, but if you stay ITF then you shouldn't have to learn all new patterns to test.
But it makes sense to me to find a school you really love if you can, even if you end up outside of TKD, starting over at white belt in a Shotokan school or something (which is similar anyway). A good school where you feel at home is a wonderful thing, absolutely. Those schools are out there, happy hunting!

jim

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

• Chon-Ji
  • Do-San
  • Dan-Gun
  • 3 Step Sparring 1-9
  • Sparring style basics
  • Basic Self Defence

Cheers

Bobby
Congrats!

TKD Kain

White Belt
Reaction score
Congrats on your belt test.
icon10.gif
icon14.gif

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good job on the belt test and it seems you are where you should be doing the ITF patterns. If you are not happy with the training than you need to find another school, plain and simple.

Kodiak61

White Belt
Reaction score
Congratulations&#8230;have you spoken with your instructor about the apparent focus on money rather than martial arts training? Sometimes a misperception can lead to misunderstanding. If the instructor does NOT give you a satisfactory answer, dances around the issue, or blows smoke; starting looking for another school.

chrismay101

Green Belt
Reaction score
We kind of do the same!

it can vary from grading to grading

Dan gun - some times

Do san
3step at least to number 6
3step semi free
slow positioned kick to demo control side kick left and right plus turning kick L&R
plus a break on one of them if over 18
teminology

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congratz on you grading!!!

Latest Discussions