is music getting crappier?

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Miley Cyrus is terrible. Fortunately my boy's think she is a joke.
icon6.gif

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's an interesting point - I'd qualify it a smidgen by saying that whilst the quality-to-crap ratio in the talent pool is probably about the same, an awful lot more of the 'crap' gets released as if it were 'quality' these days. The 'image machine' produces a lot of Emperors New Clothes acts to my mind.
It's a whole lot easier for a whole lot more crap to be released today. Years ago, a garage band would play for their buddies, maybe a birthday party or a prom, that sort of thing. A few moved up the ranks...

Today, with MySpace & YouTube, and easy CD-burning coupled with software that does all the mixing... that same garage band can distribute their music. Sure, they're not all (not hardly) getting radio penetration... but their out there.

And the music industry has simply gotten more industrial; they recognize a formula, and flood the market with it.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
No, I can be old and older.....

Mylie Cyrus is such an improvement over the Moody Blues - with which I offended my parents.....
:eek: How can Mylie Cyrus/Hannah Montana be an IMPROVEMENT over the Moody Blues???? :confused:

Now I gotta go wash my brain out with soap. Sheesh!

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Miley Cyrus is terrible. Fortunately my boy's think she is a joke.
icon6.gif

So do our boys.... but we also have 2 girls, ages 10 and 13.

The oldest boy, a junior in college, enjoys The Traveling Wilberrys. We did something right!

I lost a rare bet with them last year and had to sit through High School Musical 3, which was even more painful than Ms Cyrus.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I recall before Miley Cyrus we had her dad

Do these songs sound similar: Corey's song

Miley' song

Come on take the Corey Miley challange:lfao:

Last edited by a moderator:

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
:eek: How can Mylie Cyrus/Hannah Montana be an IMPROVEMENT over the Moody Blues???? :confused:

Now I gotta go wash my brain out with soap. Sheesh!

It was sarcasm, or as Mork would have put it, " Humor Arrr-Arrr!"

I was saying I offended my elders with better quality stuff.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It was sarcasm, or as Mork would have put it, " Humor Arrr-Arrr!"

I was saying I offended my elders with better quality stuff.
Indeed... well your humor was offensive... :lol: the very comparison :barf:

My parents being deaf I didn't have to worry about offending their delicate ears and was luckily spared much of the "that's the devils music" tirade but when I was enrolled into a christian private school, I gotten that crap and out of spite wore my best KISS t-shirt to school with the express purpose to be defiant. ... heh... sent me home.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Indeed... well your humor was offensive... :lol: the very comparison :barf:

My parents being deaf I didn't have to worry about offending their delicate ears and was luckily spared much of the "that's the devils music" tirade but when I was enrolled into a christian private school, I gotten that crap and out of spite wore my best KISS t-shirt to school with the express purpose to be defiant. ... heh... sent me home.

KISS=Knights In Satan's Service :lfao:

The wife went to Friend's University in Wichita for a year....she has all manner of horrid stories about her time there. :lol:

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You were listening to the radio. No other explanation required. CLEARly the CHANNEL is programmed for the lowest common denominator.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kanye West (or whatever his name is) is one artist who uses one of those technological advances where if you don't hit exactly the right note vocally, the voice is altered to hit the right note. It winds up sounding a lot like a synthesizer.

This essentially means anyone who can carry a tune in a bucket and who can deal with the mob can make it in the music business. There's little real talent out there anymore.

Some of the new stuff's arite, but ... it's contrived and some of the hits are remakes of originals. What's the effing point, then?

People will listen to garbage just to have something to listen to, I guess.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Now Kanye is the king. Love his music.

As to the new technological abilities. Well in the recording studio anybody and I do mean anybody can be made into a star. That is if they have the right look to go along with the music they write or is provided to them.
icon6.gif

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Now Kanye is the king. Love his music.

As to the new technological abilities. Well in the recording studio anybody and I do mean anybody can be made into a star. That is if they have the right look to go along with the music they write or is provided to them.
icon6.gif

This is so true, machine can make anybody sound good if they are the right type for the industry.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I do agree that it's a generational phenomenon but I also will strongly maintain that there is a general degeneration of the talent required not only to make music but also to be considered a star.

I am amazed that even Rock, the previously strong bastion of muscianship (predicated upon it's blues roots I reckon) has succumbed to the rot. I cannot name one guitar player that has come along since the '80's who I regard as having much talent, let alone one whose playing I can recognise.

There has been a small resurgence of 'music making' (as opposed to dance 'music') groups but the modern, overproduced, medium steals it's edge (which gets further dulled by use of 'lossee' data formats for MP3 etc).
There are plenty of great bands out there. I like all kinds of music, but tend to gravitate towards blues influenced rock that is less produced. Bands like the White Stripes (as a very famous example) to the Black Keys and the Cold War Kids are among my favorites.

It's out there, if you look for it. And as with every generation, two decades from now we'll know which bands will withstand the test of time.

OP
jarrod

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kanye West (or whatever his name is) is one artist who uses one of those technological advances where if you don't hit exactly the right note vocally, the voice is altered to hit the right note. It winds up sounding a lot like a synthesizer.

This essentially means anyone who can carry a tune in a bucket and who can deal with the mob can make it in the music business. There's little real talent out there anymore.

Some of the new stuff's arite, but ... it's contrived and some of the hits are remakes of originals. What's the effing point, then?

People will listen to garbage just to have something to listen to, I guess.

i believe this technology is called "pitch correction". but yeah, i do like some of kaye's music.

i suspected part of it was a generational difference, but that can't be all of it since i like a lot of music from previous decades. i think some of the problem may be that there is enough rock in the history books now that there is no need for a lazy musician to create anything new. up through the 80's you only had 20-30 years of recorded rock to draw from; you had to innovate. now we've got more than five decades of recorded rock to pilfer from.

jf

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Most new music is pop fluff, little substance, little talent, and generic. There are few real musicians anymore,, IMO.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
despise kanye west
same for 50

actually, the only new song I have heard that i LIKED in the last 8 years was the new one DEVO cranked out last year for the dell commercial.

I am a child of the 80's

pearl jam needs to DIE, in a fire, Alice in Chains was better than Vedder, deal with it

OP
jarrod

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
actually, the only new song I have heard that i LIKED in the last 8 years was the new one DEVO cranked out last year for the dell commercial.

did you hear their cover of "head like a hole" by nine inch nails? it's how the song should have been done the first time.

jf

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If you want REAL crap, you'll listen to the Moldy Peaches. They make Miley Cyrus and Kanye West sound like virtuosos. The Moldy Peaches sound like garage band of self-taught 12 year olds, but they're getting air play. A lot of air play, particularly after they were featured in the movie, Juno. (Which was, admittedly a movie about a couple of kids)

My partner is a prog rock keyboardist, playing since he was 4 years old. His viewpoint is that, yes, music is getting crappier...or at least you're now getting really crappy music published or played publicly when it would have been laughed at years ago. He calls it "The Guitar Hero Effect": Everyone's a musician, now.

cdunn

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
i suspected part of it was a generational difference, but that can't be all of it since i like a lot of music from previous decades. i think some of the problem may be that there is enough rock in the history books now that there is no need for a lazy musician to create anything new. up through the 80's you only had 20-30 years of recorded rock to draw from; you had to innovate. now we've got more than five decades of recorded rock to pilfer from.

jf

No one bothers to play the garbage from the past anymore - we remember the gems and sift out the junk from our memories. How many thousands of composers did the world go through to create Bach, Beethoven, and Chopin? How many Beatles songs still actually get air play? How much Elvis still gets air play? Most of it was "listenable, but unmemorable".

How does the saying go? "90% of everything is crap"? Recordings just give us a chance to retain the good 10% from the past.