Is Kenpo a viable fighting and self defense art

Hudson69

Brown Belt
Reaction score
It's decent but a lot depends on the instructor and what you want to get out of it.

AIKIKENJITSU

Green Belt
Reaction score
What’s your opinion on Kenpo karate
I have been teaching it since 1976 and I have used it maybe six times to defend myself. Each circumstance was different. I am 5'2" and small boned. I have had to use it about six times in my life to defend myself. I found it very effective and it quickly puts a end to any attack I've had.
The main essence of American Kenpo is speed. But I'm sure that's true of many martial arts.
Now I don't believe in the forms and I've never practice them except to pass my test for rank.
American Kenpo in my view is very effective. Is it perfect? No, but it is reliable.
Sifu

AIKIKENJITSU

Green Belt
Reaction score
I think one of the other "disconnects" is that MANY of the ideas/concepts behind the rapid fire techniques were designed so that they were supposed to be just arm movement and not meant to be a more committed full body strike. I don't need a cannon to kill a fly. On the other hand, I can't shoot a cannon from a canoe. Meaning, if I am trying to kill a fly I don't need lots of power. If I do have to use a lot of power, than I need a platform to support it.

For example, eye pokes/slices, throat strikes etc. don't need a lot of power, just speed to set up a power shot. Many of those targets aren't used because they aren't legal to be used in most self-defense situations. In Kajukenbo (both trace a large part of their lineage to Prof. Chow) they have a saying. "Lead with Speed, Devour with Power".

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You can be effective with fast striking rather than heavy.

There is a whole bunch of meta. With that discussion.