What is Self Defense? (Kenpo-Jiu Jitsu)

K

Karazenpo

My 'kempo brother' Dan Weston was gracious enough to give me a copy of James M. Mitose's: What is Self Defense? (Kenpo Jiu-Jitsu) and for that I sincerely thank him. I have gone over this book pretty thorough so far and there's much more in the book than the breakdown on the Tracy website. Here's what I have found:

The book consists of the following breakdown of technique (curriculum):

1) 11 punching & striking defenses

2) 7 kicking defenses

3) 26 escape defenses (grab arts)

4) 8 lock, break & throw defenses

5) 17 weapon defenses (knife, sword-which could double for a club & gun)

6) 20 women & girls defenses

So, far, it looks like a pretty extensive curriuclum to me, especially taken into consideration it was written in 1947. There's 69 self defense techniques with an additional 20 tailored to females for a total of 89 techniques.

There is also a section of 7 kenpo exercises for punching, striking including forearms and elbows and another section devoted to 4 kicking exercises, the fourth combining punching & kicking. That's all the physical.

A close scrutiny of these techniques show a 'core' similiaritiy with all the Hawaiian derived Kenpo/Kempo systems in existence today. It's all in black & white, objectively speaking. It's all there. The rudiments, the foundation, the basic structure and framework. Just add the evolution of 'continuous motion' with increased rapid fire striking from the kung fu influences of the succeeding teachers of this kenpo through the lineage and it is very clear that this system is the root art of these contemporary kenpo/kempo arts.

Now, the philosophy of Mitose in this publication is everything every parent would want their child to learn from a martial art. I'll go out on the limb to say it's is A #1 in anyone's opinion! HOWEVER, AND THIS IS A BIG HOWEVER, this philosophy is totally hypocritical of the way Mitose lived his life! Not even close. It's the old 'do as I say, not as I do' or simply one failing to 'practice what they preach'. It's really too bad because the book really has it together. If one didn't know better they could never connect the crimes committed by Mitose to the author of this book. It seems like he had a split personality.

Again, it's a damn good curriculum, even by today's standards. If someone today learned the techniques in that book and added continuous motion and more rapid fire hits or essentially principles and concepts of the Chinese arts, you'd have a damn good system. I'd update the weapon defenses a little, especially knife and gun to what we have learned over the years but still a good solid base to start with. Some have said these techniques were taken from Okinawan Kenpo Karate and the book of Mutzu but others have said that Mitose learned from an instructor of the Motobu lineage (Nabura Tanamaha). Sijo Adriano D. Emperado when posed a question from myself asked by Professor Gerry Scott: Could Mitose's knowledge and skill be that of someone who had studied only the surface arts and evolved it through his natural abilities? Sijo Emperado stated: 'Mitose's abilities was that of a master instructor'.

It was also very interesting to note that on Otcober 4, 1947, Tautao (Rubberman) Higami, then president of the Hawaii Judo Kan & middleweight wrestling champion of the world who stated in a letter he carefully scrutinized and studied the manuscript of this book and gave it an excellent review and recommendation congratulating Mitose on his effort and wishing him to succeed in his endeavors. *Note: Tautao Higami was also a teacher of Sijo Victor 'Sonny' Gascon from around 1945 to 1949 making his first level cerification in judo.

All in all, this book is worth reading. (I have the fourth printing, 2nd edition 1981 which is the orignal manuscript with new 'Introductory Notes' by Bruce Juchnik, Rick Alemany and Arnold M. Golub. I suggest it is read before drawing any final conclusions. This book is great to compare with Robert Trias' 'The Hand is My Sword' (Okinawan Shorei Ryu Kenpo Karate) and Ed Parker's 'Kenpo Karate: Law of the Fist & the Empty Hand' (many similiarites of technique). With respect to all, "Joe'

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Do you know if this book is still in print or where a copy might be picked up?

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I had a copy of this book in '79, with what seemed like a brown paper bag cover on it. I loaned it out to a friend and never got it back.

Does the inside cover of your book have the initials "DC" on it?

Regards,

Dave

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Kembudo-Kai Kempoka said:
I had a copy of this book in '79, with what seemed like a brown paper bag cover on it. I loaned it out to a friend and never got it back.

Regards,

Dave
Karazenpo said:
I have the fourth printing, 2nd edition 1981...
Hmmm. The Magic 8-ball says "no".

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Wow! I have had two copies of that book for ten years (both were owned by the same guy. Don't ask me why). I bought them at a used bookstore for $2 each. And in less than 5 days, My Kempo Brother, Prof. Joe Shuras has done a far more thorough analysis than I ever did! :) Nice work! The part I liked was how Prof. Chow was used to demonstrate many of the techniques.

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Now, see...if you didn't point out the obvious, Mr. Kill-joy, I could have had myself a more recent copy.
Another devious scam, foiled by Randy, Master of the Obvious :ultracool .

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not bad Joe. Since the last printing was 1981, they're very hard to come by. They go for $150-$200 on Ebay when ever they turn up.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score

Regards,

Dave

That's funny because my copy does.

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
hi prof joe

shihan michael brown said that on one occasion he was able to talk to prof sig kufferath at a get together, he used the time to ask some questions regarding mitose sensei's movement, prof kufferath had said that it was circular and unorthodox....the unorthodox i guess meaning that it was not like what other systems were teaching at the time. i have spent hours with my nose between the covers of this book....and if you look at the images with the thought of circular continuous motion, you can see how it applies. also, in the pages were mitose is showing striking on the makiwara, particularly No.4 and No.7.....this is the way striking is taught in that kata NaiHanNo.....which is a Mitose kata. this kata is very fluid and circular with an emphasis on fast continuous striking.
as he says in the book......great masters of kempo and ju jutsu number their arts in the following order:
1. punching
2. striking
3. kicking
4. throwing and locking

1. ate - punching or more simply hitting....is the fastest because you merely strike at your opponent to get a reaction.
2. atemi - which is more akin to a vital area strike (nerve centre) would take a fraction of time longer simply because of targeting.
3. keri waza which takes even longer due to the distance which the leg must travel in order to reach its target.
4. nage and kansetsu waza. this is simply last because, if you have time to grab and lock your opponent, you could have just as easily hit your opponent and would not have to stay in contact, keeping yourself free to defend yourself.

i think this book has a huge amount of info in it......and i would suggest any martial artist take the time to study it.

OP
K

Karazenpo

BlackCatBonz said:
hi prof joe

shihan michael brown said that on one occasion he was able to talk to prof sig kufferath at a get together, he used the time to ask some questions regarding mitose sensei's movement, prof kufferath had said that it was circular and unorthodox....the unorthodox i guess meaning that it was not like what other systems were teaching at the time. i have spent hours with my nose between the covers of this book....and if you look at the images with the thought of circular continuous motion, you can see how it applies. also, in the pages were mitose is showing striking on the makiwara, particularly No.4 and No.7.....this is the way striking is taught in that kata NaiHanNo.....which is a Mitose kata. this kata is very fluid and circular with an emphasis on fast continuous striking.
as he says in the book......great masters of kempo and ju jutsu number their arts in the following order:
1. punching
2. striking
3. kicking
4. throwing and locking

1. ate - punching or more simply hitting....is the fastest because you merely strike at your opponent to get a reaction.
2. atemi - which is more akin to a vital area strike (nerve centre) would take a fraction of time longer simply because of targeting.
3. keri waza which takes even longer due to the distance which the leg must travel in order to reach its target.
4. nage and kansetsu waza. this is simply last because, if you have time to grab and lock your opponent, you could have just as easily hit your opponent and would not have to stay in contact, keeping yourself free to defend yourself.

i think this book has a huge amount of info in it......and i would suggest any martial artist take the time to study it.

Hi Shawn! and hello to everyone else who responded. Sorry I didn't answer right awy but I posted on Friday and was unavailable this weekend. I have to say, yes, this book is much more than I thought it would be. I agree, Shawn, if this is what Mitose taught, his curriculum, and it must be since his students were there performing with him (Thomas Young, William Chow and from what I understand, the woman is Mitose's sister), then this guy was teaching something that was way ahead of his time. There were also many more letters of recommendations from many important people besides Master Tagami. Here's another interesting note. Everything I researched in the past stated that Chow was with Mitose from 1942-1946, yet, there were references, one in particular I remember (I'm at work and don't ahve the book with me at this time) of a thank you letter from an organization that Mitose's Official Self Defense Club did a demo for and William Chow was present. There was also a picture with Chow in it at a 1974 demo. I'll have to look it up when I get home. Shawn, I will look more closely at what you pointed out. I always like to reread books like this a whole bunch of times and each time I come away with something new, know what I mean? Here's another thing I noticed. i was reading a bio on Choki Motobu recently, it's on the net. In the bio Motobu stated about working your weak side by doing more repetitions and so forth. This same training regimen is pursued in Mitose's book. I do see the very strong Okinawan connection but I'm still not discounting that Mitose never went to Japan or learned anything from a family art. I will keep open minded on that for I feel the jury is still out. Dr. Ted Sumner has some pretty interesting documents showing Mitose did indeed travel to Japan on the San Jose Kenpo website. Man, this guy is still an enigma after over 60 years! With respect, Prof. Joe

OP
K

Karazenpo

John Bishop said:
Not bad Joe. Since the last printing was 1981, they're very hard to come by. They go for $150-$200 on Ebay when ever they turn up.

I have to thank 'Brother Dan' for that one! I told him, though, that if anything ever happens to his copy I'll send him this one back asap. Thank you again Danjo!

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Karazenpo said:
I have to thank 'Brother Dan' for that one! I told him, though, that if anything ever happens to his copy I'll send him this one back asap. Thank you again Danjo!
Well, I showed this book to a former Kempo instructor of mine and she was, shall we say, underwhelmed by it. She vaguely knew who Mitose was, and I believe that her comment was something like, "Looks different than what we do now." and shrugged. She did the same thing when I showed her the footage of Prof. Chow on Sigung Bishop's website. Oh well. When I mentioned to Prof. Joe that I had Mitose's book he was quite impressed, so I thought, "Ah ha! Someone I can give it to that will appreciate it and can give me their impression of it etc." I have found a great sense of sharing among those in the Kajukenbo/Karazenpo/Shaolin Kempo community and so I am more than happy to pass along something that I have a spare copy of to those that value it since people have been so willing to share of their time and resources with me. (God knows my wife isn't one to discuss Kempo with!) Also, I will never ask for the book back. Once something is passed along, it's passed along, but thanks for the offer.

OP
K

Karazenpo

The Kai said:
Dude awesome gift!

Right on, Todd! I didn't even know Dan was going to send it, he was sending me some tapes and it was in the package. You should have seen the look on my face when I pulled it out of the box!, lol.

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Karazenpo said:
Right on, Todd! I didn't even know Dan was going to send it, he was sending me some tapes and it was in the package. You should have seen the look on my face when I pulled it out of the box!, lol.
Hi Professor,

I for one, am very grateful for your acquired gift and for your most recent post's. I have always had faith in you... Do you have the DVD "Truth"?

If not I will send a copy to you. It is the interview between Sensei Mike Brown and Hanshi Bruce Juchnik...

Regards, Gary

OP
K

Karazenpo

GAB said:
Hi Professor,

I for one, am very grateful for your acquired gift and for your most recent post's. I have always had faith in you... Do you have the DVD "Truth"?

If not I will send a copy to you. It is the interview between Sensei Mike Brown and Hanshi Bruce Juchnik...

Regards, Gary

Thanks Gary, no, I don't have that DVD. I'll PM you. Take care, "Joe"

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i have heard of a few other people that have read this book and came away with nothing. there is a lot more to this book than what you get from a cursory glance. on the surface it does look like a collection of techniques....but if you look at the pictures with a "kosho" frame of mind......seeing the angles and not looking at it like hard and fast set techniques, you get a whole new perspective. also......i think any martial art along with most things you learn stress working your weak side or weaknesses more than your strong side or strong points.....its not really an okinawan thing.