The Kenpo Fight

J

Josh

hello all. Kenpo is a very interesting art, at least from what i've seen. But besides all that, what is the GOAL the WAY of Kenpo in a fight?? For example, Jujitsu would be *dealing with attack* then *apply some lock or throw*. How about Kenpo??

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Oh, I would say "put your attacker out of commission long enough to let you get away". When done (opponent's view), kenpo really hurts!!!!

- Ceicei

psi_radar

Black Belt
Reaction score
To put it into a sentence, I'd say "Negate the attack, respond with extreme prejudice." Same as jujitsu, really, though it's more strike-based.

Of course books have been written on it so I'll stop there.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Josh said:
What is the GOAL the WAY of Kenpo in a fight??
For example, Jujitsu would be *dealing with attack* then *apply some lock or throw*. How about Kenpo??
To be able to return home, any way that you can.

:asian:

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Josh said:
hello all. Kenpo is a very interesting art, at least from what i've seen. But besides all that, what is the GOAL the WAY of Kenpo in a fight?? For example, Jujitsu would be *dealing with attack* then *apply some lock or throw*. How about Kenpo??
To take care of all your concerns. Most of the time your concerns are met by avoiding the confrontation in the first place, eh?
Sean

OP

our goals are to disable the opponent until they decide to give up. Any way possible.

Robbo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
It is interesting that some of the posts are from a view of already in the fight and in the process of destroying the attacker(s). Whether you have to destroy someboy is totally based on the individual situation.

I would say the goal of Kenpo would be control and awareness of the situation from it's inception to it's completion. And as TOD has posted if you have that much control of the situation you should be able to negate it very early and without violence...that would be Kenpo to me. How much more efficient could you get?

Of course if it comes to blows then we continue to dominate and control by having our opponents continually react to our attacks in a way that gives us the advantage and puts them at a disadvantage. If that involves throws, locks, strikes, kicks, then so be it....we'll use it all as we see fit.

One more thing, from an outsiders point of view, all they see is the SD techniques and I'll admit they are brutal, but they are just a part of a overall response to any threat.

Rob

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
One of the first things an observer notices about Kenpo is the use of multiple strikes/kicks/locks/throws/what have you in self defense. This has lead to the view that Kenpo is characterized by an "overkill" mentality. Please remember, however, that the use of combination techniques is simply a recognition of the reality that one move rarely ends the confrontation. Kenpo practitioners are not robots, however, and can cease responding at any time practical. This includes, of course, the honored technique of not being there when the fight begins. :asian:

OP
R

RCastillo

Goldendragon7 said:

As long as no one is with you in the caddy! :xtrmshock

Rick Wade

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I truely believe Kenpo can be applied any where from the deserts of Iraq to the school yard and walking away from a bully. You can use it to Kill your enemy or you can use it to give you the confidence to walk away when violence isn't necessary. Golden Dragon said it best:

Goldendragon7 said:

Dragon I agree with you but I thought I would amplify what it ment to me.

Respectfully

OP
F

FasterthanDeath

to survive, and if you dont get hit, should you have fought at all?

OP
R

RCastillo

jfarnsworth said:
:mst: I thought you were the driver. :idunno:

I don't drive "Mafia" cars. I ain't no member of the Arizona Mob! :deadhorse

OP
J

Josh

Howdy. good replies. some of ya'll have had experience i see...

naw, i wouldn't call Kenpo overkill. it's a destructive art. The whole hit them "100" times concept just happens to be where Kenpo or WHAT Kenpo is. It's very hard to one, deal with a kick or punch and THEN try to go full blast rapid fire stuff all on them. at least it's kind of tough for me, cause, i don't have powerful blocks and i'm not fast or just can't get my hands to flow Kenpo style. of course i don't do Kenpo either. but it does look swaaaa!!

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
FasterthanDeath said:
to survive, and if you dont get hit, should you have fought at all?
My base system was Wing chun, but I went from being a fast and complete puncher to a fast and complete kicker and from their to a fast and complete grappler. I studied BJJ, Judo, Hsing-I, Pa Kua, JKD.
I have nothing useful to contribute to this thread, as I've never trained Kenpo, personally.:asian:

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
an analogy from the Senior GrandMaster, Ed Parker.

The "goal" of Kenpo in a fight would be a lot like the goal of a good billiards player...
Make all of your shots while preventing your opponent (attacker? ) from making any of theirs.

But yeah, in a nutshell...
survive.
HOW we survive?
There's where the analogy comes in.

Your Brother
John