Is it weird doing yoga alternatively with martial arts?

Rigobert

White Belt
Reaction score
btw i do muay thai and yoga regularly and do it alternatively like a few times a week for each of them.

hussaf

Green Belt
Reaction score
I wish there was yoga closer to me. It's tough though. I've been to a few schools in my organization where we tried to have a yoga instructor come in, but there's always conflict with who gets the best teaching hours.
m

zzj

Blue Belt
Reaction score
What is weird is why you would think it is weird to begin with.

crazydiamond

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I do yoga at home to DVD's. Also do Martial Arts in class and at home. The benefits are very worthwhile. Also some of my MA instructors have us do yoga like stretches as part of the warm up and conditioning work.

I will say one thing about some conflict between the two - I think Yoga at one point was developed or used by male warriors. However, I feel much yoga has been turned into the feminine/pacifist/gentle sprits thing. Not to say I don't like the peaceful meditative parts (I really do), but sometimes I have felt challenged to remind myself that yoga has a masculine and power side to it as well. Its what you make of it and as such yin and yang exist in it.

Shai Hulud

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Not "weird" at all.

I know several people who practice both Yoga and some form of martial art. Keeps you limber, and is great for developing flexibility and strength. I myself don't do Yoga, but I have a program of flexibility and mobility exercises that I observe throughout the week.

Ally

Taiji Rebel

Black Belt
Reaction score
Drop Bear recently drew my attention to the following article:
Those guys use yoga as a part of their boxing programme to great effect 🥊🧘‍♂️ Yoga has been a part of my own practice for as long as I can remember. It is much more commonplace to see yoga being combined with other sports nowadays. In the last couple of years I have added to my yoga routines by using ideas from a small book called, Notes on Yoga: The Legacy of Vanda Scaravelli by Diane Long and Sophy Hoare 👍👍

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes it’s very weird and slightly perverse - like doing cardio and weight training or liking The Beatles and the Rolling Stones at the same time. Stop it at once.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My understanding for many years is that Yoga is actually part of India's martial arts systems. I can't remember where I read it or heard it but that has been my take for many years now.

Latest Discussions