Is it me or...

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
That's where Panantukan comes in my friend!!!! ;-)

Panantukan is the perfect example of what Steve was talking about. Largely panantukan seems to be boxing with all of the effective attribute building aspects of training removed. Just about every panantukan video I've seen is compliant demos. It all looks choreographed, or an "attacker" will feed a half hearted punch and the "defender" will unload a flurry of "devastating" strikes on a statue of a partner who doesn't react or counter. I like panantukan in theory but have yet to see anyone show it in action. My system doesn't have anything with the "panantukan" label so I can only go based on what I see in video and what groups I've visited are doing. I'm sure there's some hard sparring panantukan somewhere but I'm not seeing it. It seems like the guys making demo videos don't have the confidence to show their panantukan skills in action.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
:rolleyes:

Sooky? haha... had to look that one up. Apparently it is an Aussie term. Thanks for educating me on that. For the record, has nothing to do with 'sooky'...just pointing out your choice of words on this is poor.

I agree with you on this. But I wouldn't come on here and claim to speak for all WC as you have done.

I can't...it seems you've condemned my feet to train tracks in an earlier post; and I can't reach my camera. :D
Besides, I'm a WC guy...and you've said WC doesn't angle...and that none of us can do it; so that's that.

Enjoy your journey friend. Peace.

Really?
look you are welcome at any time to show wing chun in its strengths. I am not here to get all emotional with you.

All I am calling out here are basic striking weaknesses as i see them. It doesn't matter what system you do it will get you caught.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I apologize for getting on my training model schtick, but don't you think this points to a deficiency in the WAY your WC was being taught?

...If there are WC'ers who do not do well under pressure, it is VERY likely to be the manner in which they train their techniques.

This isn't just WC. It's anything.

Yep.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Panantukan is the perfect example of what Steve was talking about. Largely panantukan seems to be boxing with all of the effective attribute building aspects of training removed. Just about every panantukan video I've seen is compliant demos. It all looks choreographed, or an "attacker" will feed a half hearted punch and the "defender" will unload a flurry of "devastating" strikes on a statue of a partner who doesn't react or counter. I like panantukan in theory but have yet to see anyone show it in action. My system doesn't have anything with the "panantukan" label so I can only go based on what I see in video and what groups I've visited are doing. I'm sure there's some hard sparring panantukan somewhere but I'm not seeing it. It seems like the guys making demo videos don't have the confidence to show their panantukan skills in action.

I can't argue with that assessment. I too have wondered why we don't see any sparring videos from the larger Panantukan camps. Although, Panantukan sparring essentially looks like boxing with the occasional Gunting thrown in when the opportunity presents, which really isn't very often. On Guro Ron Balicki's video series after he shows a specific Panantukan technique he tries to include a clip of him applying it in a sparring situation. Those clips have never made it to youtube though. But still....Panantukan is a combative version of boxing....it represents boxing made more "martial" by adding in things from FMA. I'm not sure what you mean by "all of the effective attribute building aspects of training removed"??? Panantukan guys work the heavy bag, focus mitts, etc. just like boxers.

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
I can't argue with that assessment. I too have wondered why we don't see any sparring videos from the larger Panantukan camps. Although, Panantukan sparring essentially looks like boxing with the occasional Gunting thrown in when the opportunity presents, which really isn't very often. On Guro Ron Balicki's video series after he shows a specific Panantukan technique he tries to include a clip of him applying it in a sparring situation. Those clips have never made it to youtube though. But still....Panantukan is a combative version of boxing....it represents boxing made more "martial" by adding in things from FMA. I'm not sure what you mean by "all of the effective attribute building aspects of training removed"??? Panantukan guys work the heavy bag, focus mitts, etc. just like boxers.
I just haven't seen the quality of mitt work and other drills common to boxing in panantukan. I see very static mitt work, haven't seen any specific panantukan bag or footwork, or jump rope or anything else for that matter. Of course it may not differ much from boxing much and that may explain wh we don't see it. Panantukan is in a "look what I can do" phase for the mainstream FMA culture right now. To me it seems like a way for weapons systems to show they have empty hand relevance too, which may be. But I have yet to see panantukan as a stand alone art, it seems more like it's used to make weapons systems more marketable to guys that aren't interested in weapons. It's cool and has potential but for more alive other arts to really get interested I think we're gonna have to see it in action. Unless the panantukan guys also box I doubt they'd have much luck applying it against a decent boxer even if the dirty tricks were aloud.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Too often I think the Panantukan is just an "add on" that doesn't get emphasized or trained as much as the weapons. But there are some that make it a major focus and do LOTS of quality mitt work. Daniel Sullivan put out a series of DVDs in which he teaches everything as a responsive focus mitt drill. So its out there. Just not very common. Yet. ;-)

Latest Discussions