The Complete Wooden Dummy Set.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've never seen the 2nd half done that way. Is that Fut Sao specific?

Kwan Sau

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I've never seen the 2nd half done that way. Is that Fut Sao specific?

I think he (MCM) said he has changed certain things in his WC... like integrating his Moy Yat and Fut Sao stuff into his own personal blend. Not sure if this form was changed also though?

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think he (MCM) said he has changed certain things in his WC... like integrating his Moy Yat and Fut Sao stuff into his own personal blend.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking when I watched this. You can train a lot of different techniques and combinations on the dummy so I wouldn't hazard any comment on the sequence of movements. But one thing that I did not understand at all was integrating elbow strikes, especially when delivered from a punching range where they can't connect with the dummy trunk. Seems odd.

Kwan Sau

Purple Belt
Reaction score
...one thing that I did not understand at all was integrating elbow strikes, especially when delivered from a punching range where they can't connect with the dummy trunk. Seems odd.

Yeah, same here. Reminded me of some folks who attempt to bil jee finger strike the dummy... odd.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, that's what I was thinking when I watched this. You can train a lot of different techniques and combinations on the dummy so I wouldn't hazard any comment on the sequence of movements. But one thing that I did not understand at all was integrating elbow strikes, especially when delivered from a punching range where they can't connect with the dummy trunk. Seems odd.
Elbow strike movement is used for more than an elbow strike so I can see that action though we don't do so within our dummy form.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Elbow strike movement is used for more than an elbow strike so I can see that action though we don't do so within our dummy form.

Sure. For example, gwai-jarn or downward-diagonal hacking elbow can be used to pin an opponents arms. Or if this was FMA, I'd be thinking of "gunting" or limb destruction. But just waving the elbows in the air without actually interacting with the dummy seems odd, more like an empty-handed form. That's covered pretty well in Biu Tze.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sure. For example, gwai-jarn or downward-diagonal hacking elbow can be used to pin an opponents arms. Or if this was FMA, I'd be thinking of "gunting" or limb destruction. But just waving the elbows in the air without actually interacting with the dummy seems odd, more like an empty-handed form. That's covered pretty well in Biu Tze.

Sifu Chris Collins, a student of Cheng Chun Fun, does some limb destruction apps using the BT elbows....though that might be bridging over from his FMA training.

Also, do you think that by training the elbows like he was doing on the dummy is a way of training accuracy?
I kept expecting him to crack his elbow on the end of one of the arms

OP
futsaowingchun

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think he (MCM) said he has changed certain things in his WC... like integrating his Moy Yat and Fut Sao stuff into his own personal blend. Not sure if this form was changed also though?

This Dummy form is not pure Fut Sao or Ip Man but a blend plus my own personal touch which is why I call what I do MCM WING CHUN..The only form I do that is pure Fut Sao is the Siu Nim Tau. Everything else I have changed or modified.

OP
futsaowingchun

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score

That section of the dummy is section 5 and 6 which is using the Bil Gee elbow and bil gee. When playing the dummy you want to train your elbow and shoulder between the dummy arms no need to hit the truck .The next move is the double bil gee which fills up the space that one you connect on the jong.

OP
futsaowingchun

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
Sifu Chris Collins, a student of Cheng Chun Fun, does some limb destruction apps using the BT elbows....though that might be bridging over from his FMA training.

Also, do you think that by training the elbows like he was doing on the dummy is a way of training accuracy?
I kept expecting him to crack his elbow on the end of one of the arms

Yes,correct.the ebow strikes is for training accuracy not to hit the jong.you must have flexibility to be able to strike betweet the two upper arms without hiting them. other sections of the dummy I use my elboe to connet with the jong.

Kwan Sau

Purple Belt
Reaction score
...which is why I call what I do MCM WING CHUN..

Cool. I respect you for calling it MCM wing chun. I wish other people (who have modified their WC, or perhaps grafted on techniques or drills from non-WC) would follow your example.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Yeah, Chris is one of the more interesting and impressive guys out there coming from a WT background.

I kept expecting him to crack his elbow on the end of one of the arms.

I was thinking the same thing. Ouch! That would sure hone your accuracy in a hurry.

Latest Discussions