Is BJJ really ready for the Real World

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by KennethKu
[BTW, I have to LMAO at the often repeated, but totally misleading remark that TKD's "flashy high kicks" cannot be performed unless you are all warmed up and in your gi. That cannot be farther away from the truth. There are countless TKD practitioners who can execute "flashy high kicks" in their jeans and in cold (no warm up). Hell, just about anyone can train to execute that. Try getting up early in the morning and PRACTICE! In a few months, you too could have gained the flexibility and strength to perform all these "flashy TKD high kicks". No miracle needed. Just DO IT! Simple as that. Don't take my words for it. Just try it yourself.

I agree with ARK...I'd like to see this also! Its hard enough to walk slowly on a slippery surface, nevermind attempting to jump. I dont understand why you would want to jump or turn your back to an attacker in the first place??? Flexibility is something that is not developed overnight. Its something that takes time to gradually build up. And i suppose you're going to tell me that a woman wearing heels is going to be able to do the same thing??? Yeah, ok.

Mike

Old Tiger

Green Belt
Reaction score
A.R.K.
I would disagree with you on one thing. The street has the shortest time limits of any violent incounter. You have to get it done fast, otherwise you may face other attackers or perhaps worse, with cell phones etc the cops will be there in minutes. In New York if you are still there when the cops get there you are both going to jail.

L

lvwhitebir

As it always comes down to it, use the right tool for the right job. Don't use a hammer when you need a screwdriver (I've done the reverse and it works quite well... but I digress).

BJJ can work well in the right situation as can punching and kicking. It depends on the person applying it, the attacker, and the environment.

There are instances on both sides when you wouldn't want to apply techniques of that type. So, is BJJ ready for the "real" world? Why not? You can apply many techniques standing, you have throws available, you can fight from the ground when required. It doesn't limit you from striking when you have to. So what's wrong with it that you could NEVER use it?

WhiteBirch

L

lvwhitebir

Originally posted by catchevangelist
A.R.K.
I would disagree with you on one thing. The street has the shortest time limits of any violent incounter. You have to get it done fast, otherwise you may face other attackers or perhaps worse, with cell phones etc the cops will be there in minutes. In New York if you are still there when the cops get there you are both going to jail.

Uh, doesn't sound like self defense then to me. If you fear the arrival of help from the police it sounds like you're fighting and don't want to get caught.

WhiteBirch

T

twinkletoes

Even in a self-defense situation, you are likely to get taken into custody until everything is sorted out. The legal ramifications of your actions, even if they are in self-defense or ethically warranted, can be very different from what you would expect.

My goal is to leave a violent encounter as quickly as possible not to avoid the police, but to avoid whoever else feels like jumping in. You never know who your assailant's friends are, or who may just become sympathetic after seeing only part of what happened. I am out of there as soon as humanly possible.

~TT

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We were rolling in my BJJ class...Across the street at the Chinese fast-food place, a big thug was roughing up the guy behind the counter.

One of the BJJ guys ran accross the street and took the thug out in about 10 seconds with a standing Rear Naked Choke. Dragged the guy outside. Revived him. Told him to go home. The thug got up and started swinging. The BJJ guy dropped the thug to the pavement with a roundhouse kick to the head.

One fight, two KO's. Yes. BJJ is ready for the real world.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Old Fat Kenpoka
We were rolling in my BJJ class...Across the street at the Chinese fast-food place, a big thug was roughing up the guy behind the counter.

One of the BJJ guys ran accross the street and took the thug out in about 10 seconds with a standing Rear Naked Choke. Dragged the guy outside. Revived him. Told him to go home. The thug got up and started swinging. The BJJ guy dropped the thug to the pavement with a roundhouse kick to the head.

Excellent!!!!:D

Mike

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
After the second KO, the guy didn't get back up...the cops came, the fire department came, the ambulance came. Then the guy woke up...seemed OK...he got a ride to the hospital.

Didn't work out on Tuesday, not sure if our BJJ hero is incarcerated or not.

But, what if the thug had a gun? What if his buddy had a gun? Or a knife. BJJ is ready for the street, but abstinence is my personal preference for street defense.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Agreed. Staying out of trouble is definately the best thing to do. This guy was obviously taking a huge chance going over to the restaurant.

If you find out what happened to the BJJ guy, let us know.

Mike

OP
James Kovacich

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score

Silicon Valley and chinese food, umm.

I'm guessing you train in either Ralph Gracies school or Claudio Francos school?

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm the balding overweight bearded newbie in the white MKimono tapping from under the mount at Ralph Gracie's in Mt. View a couple times a week.

Mr. Chau's Chinese Fast Food...

OP
James Kovacich

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm the balding overweight bearded newbie in the white MKimono tapping from under the mount at Ralph Gracie's in Mt. View a couple times a week.

Mr. Chau's Chinese Fast Food...
You chose a good school. I know of people who have said its to rough!

:asian:

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Other than dislocating my pinky toes in people's sleeves and getting my neck cranked, I've avoided injury so far (knock wood!). I've seen a couple other guys who've suffered broken ribs and one big huge strong guy who busted his jaw.

We have a former ISKA world champion who teaches boxing & kickboxing classes. Many of the guys are cross-training. There are also some professional stand-up fighters who come by to cross-train BJJ. And then there's me: over 40, over weight, stiff as a board, not a natural athlete...

Some of the guys play rough. Most are very helpful and give me an opportunity to try a move before they put me in my place and make me tap.

I chose this school after visiting about 10 other schools in our area including Cung Le, a small kickboxing school, a couple of Kenpo schools, a couple of TKD schools, and a bunch of others. The head instructor at Ralph Gracie Mt View, "Batata", is really great.

OP
James Kovacich

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
Other than dislocating my pinky toes in people's sleeves and getting my neck cranked, I've avoided injury so far (knock wood!). I've seen a couple other guys who've suffered broken ribs and one big huge strong guy who busted his jaw.

We have a former ISKA world champion who teaches boxing & kickboxing classes. Many of the guys are cross-training. There are also some professional stand-up fighters who come by to cross-train BJJ. And then there's me: over 40, over weight, stiff as a board, not a natural athlete...

Some of the guys play rough. Most are very helpful and give me an opportunity to try a move before they put me in my place and make me tap.

I chose this school after visiting about 10 other schools in our area including Cung Le, a small kickboxing school, a couple of Kenpo schools, a couple of TKD schools, and a bunch of others. The head instructor at Ralph Gracie Mt View, "Batata", is really great.

For the money its well worth to go to his school. Sure he charges more but the 3.5 years I spent training with Mike Jen is no comparison. Mike was one of the ones that spoke of how rough Ralphs school was. He mentioned that the ones that couldn't take Ralphs school was go to his on the rebound.

I know about the toes! Thats why I wear wrestling shoes now. But if go to another BJJ school, I'll do the program. Barefoot is fine with me until it hurts.:D

A

A.R.K.

And then there's me: over 40, over weight, stiff as a board, not a natural athlete...

And yet your out there giving your best! Bravo :asian:

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
There was a thread on JiuJitsuGear forum recently about which school is the hardest to get a belt promotion. Ralph Gracie academies got half the votes.

OP
James Kovacich

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by A.R.K.
And yet your out there giving your best! Bravo :asian:

Actually he's a year younger than me!

But I roll with the 25 yearolds!:D

Latest Discussions