BJJ is a "blood sport" and Ninjutsu "does not exist"

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I enjoyed reading this Letter to the Editor and the reply...

http://www.bclocalnews.com/opinion/129833333.html

"Lastly I wanted to mention there is no such martial art of any kind either in the past or present that is legitimately called ninjitsu."
"So any recognized Ju Jitsu groups(and there are many) are usually associated with a registered Judo Dojo . Any misspelling of this or even Brazilian adaptations are not recognized as official because of their participation in blood sports and should be avoided."

And a snippet from the reply, which I thought was rather well done:

http://www.bclocalnews.com/opinion/130221583.html

"Pride Gym has never, nor will it ever teach a “Blood Sport.” It does however teach MMA to adults along with a myriad of other martial arts to both children and adults. While he may not like MMA, it is a sanctioned sport with certified referees, athletic commissions, governing bodies and professional athletes sponsored by such companies as Burger King, Nike, Under Armor and more.

He further suggested in his letter that BJJ is not a “legitimate” martial art; however, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu which has its roots in Judo is the fastest growing martial art in the world.

Its governing body is the International Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Federation. It is a sanctioned part of the Pan-American Games, World Jiu-Jitsu Championship as well as the American, Canadian and European national championship to mention just a few.

In regards to his opinion on Ninjutsu; one only needs to do a quick Internet search to see how wrong he is.

If he had attended even one of our classes he would have realized our tot classes are all about fun and positive peer reinforcement. Our goal in working with children this young is teaching them respect and getting them used to a class environment.

Unless you find the playing of “duck, duck, goose” somehow threatening I don’t think any of these children will become “conditioned into the violence of a blood sport at three or four will program a child into becoming an instrument of violence unrecognizable to a loving parent and a danger to society at large as they have learned right from infancy only one way to resolve conflict,” as he so eloquently stated in his letter.

Based on his thinking Trail should be one of the more violent communities in the Kootenays as Pride Gym has been teaching “blood sports” for quite some time now, decades in fact, it’s a wonder the streets aren’t rampant with roving gangs of Pride Gym Ninja Assassins."

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I read over the original briefly.

Sounds like the OP has an axe to grind or is a loosely attached govt' schill.

The reply was excellent.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh dear freakin' lord above, what was that?!?! I hardly know where to start with the inaccuracies in that "article", I mean, for instance...

Scott Hutcheson said:
Lastly I wanted to mention there is no such martial art of any kind either in the past or present that is legitimately called ninjitsu.That is a total fabrication of Hollywood producers to enhance their plots in movie classics like “Enter the Ninja” with Sho Kasugi and anyone using this marketing spin needs to be corrected.
Anyone studying Japanese history will tell you there was such a thing as a Ninja, an assassin and spy for hire to betray their master (not exactly good behaviour). Only that of the 10 clans who held this profession, all were nearly obliterated after the Tokugawa Shogun period began.
Only in Japanese Judo does this original style yet live, for the only difference between these two forms is one has rules the other does not. Translated from Japanese ju jitsu is called “the gentler way” while Judo is called “the gentle way.”

The term "Ninjutsu" is misspelled (with an "i", so I guess he's correct, there never was an art called "ninjitsu", ha!); Ninja were not assassins, most commonly they were either regular warriors (samurai) or people employed to spy or sabotage; estimates put the number of "ninja clans" at between 73 and over 100, not 10 as stated; some of the most prominent became so because they were employed by the Tokugawa Shogunate, not wiped out by them; the warlord who looked to wipe them out was Oda Nobunaga, who predated Tokugawa; Judo (or jujutsu, for that matter) has never made a claim to be teaching ninjutsu, and is in no way the only place "this original style" still lives; "jujutsu" does NOT translate as 'the gentler way', as "Jutsu" refers to a practical art, not a "way", and more.

Later in the article Scott talks about Funakoshi Sensei agonizing over revealing martial arts to the public... even thought "commoner's yawara" had been relatively commonplace for about 200 years or more, and so on. I do like the way he ended by saying that we should make an informed decision, though... I guess that means not reading his article!

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
What the Heck?
Ninjutsu does Exist, and BJJ cant be a Bloodsport without STRIKING*.

*As in, in Sparring, youd need to Bleed each other for it to be Bloodsport.

Pradal Serey (Did i spell that right? Its been over a Year since I Researched it) is a Bloodsport.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Now as in times past, there is much incorrect information on MA. We can only correct it as we come across it and those who put out incorrect information are willing to listen.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I'm trying to find out more about Hutcheson and it's difficult. Not much about him on the web. I know that he's into miniature gaming, a retired librarian, and a black belt in karate. There's one picture of him on the web that I could find, which looks about 20 years old based on his bio. I just wonder why he's so defensive. I get suspicious when someone spreads misinformation so blatantly.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hutcheson - what a moron. That (being a moron) can be forgiven, for who among us does not have a moron in our family, circle of friends or associates?
But he is blatant liar and a trouble maker. He will receive no forgiveness from me.

He should do research on another term he knows nothing about. Karma.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Lastly I wanted to mention there is no such martial art of any kind either in the past or present that is legitimately called ninjitsu.

That is a total fabrication of Hollywood producers to enhance their plots in movie classics like “Enter the Ninja​” with Sho Kasugi and anyone using this marketing spin needs to be corrected.

"Anyone studying Japanese history will tell you there was such a thing as a Ninja, an assassin and spy for hire to betray their master (not exactly good behaviour). Only that of the 10 clans who held this profession, all were nearly obliterated after the Tokugawa Shogun period began.

Only in Japanese Judo does this original style yet live, for the only difference between these two forms is one has rules the other does not. Translated from Japanese ju jitsu is called “the gentler way” while Judo is called “the gentle way.” "

Chris Parker has eloquently covered the how this is historically incorrect, now I will do the grammar nazi bit. An art that never existed was only practised by 10 clans who were nearly obliterated. Leaving the possibility of those that survived passing on the teachings that never existed. Apparently, this never-existent art continues to this day to be incorporated in Judo, a "fact" that surprises many folks, ninja and judoka alike. And we should take this guy seriously because?

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Lastly I wanted to mention there is no such martial art of any kind either in the past or present that is legitimately called ninjitsu.

That is a total fabrication of Hollywood producers to enhance their plots in movie classics like “Enter the Ninja​” with Sho Kasugi and anyone using this marketing spin needs to be corrected.

"Anyone studying Japanese history will tell you there was such a thing as a Ninja, an assassin and spy for hire to betray their master (not exactly good behaviour). Only that of the 10 clans who held this profession, all were nearly obliterated after the Tokugawa Shogun period began.

Only in Japanese Judo does this original style yet live, for the only difference between these two forms is one has rules the other does not. Translated from Japanese ju jitsu is called “the gentler way” while Judo is called “the gentle way.” "

Chris Parker has eloquently covered the how this is historically incorrect, now I will do the grammar nazi bit. An art that never existed was only practised by 10 clans who were nearly obliterated. Leaving the possibility of those that survived passing on the teachings that never existed. Apparently, this never-existent art continues to this day to be incorporated in Judo, a "fact" that surprises many folks, ninja and judoka alike. And we should take this guy seriously because?

...because its fun to pick apart, so we can feel better about our own Knowledge?

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is that actually a question? Do you do this?

In a round about way, We all are.
Really, we all know how blatantly foolish the Post being Linked by the OP is.
And weve spent quite some time talking about that fact :)

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
In a round about way, We all are.
Really, we all know how blatantly foolish the Post being Linked by the OP is.
And weve spent quite some time talking about that fact :)
Huh. I guess you're right. An online forum is the last place we should be wasting time discussing things. :mst:

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Huh. I guess you're right. An online forum is the last place we should be wasting time discussing things. :mst:
You misunderstand - I was referring SPECIFICALLY to the Question of why we should take the Fool Seriously.

To which I answered that we should take Him Seriously, so that our Criticisms bare more Weight.
It wasnt a Criticism of the Act of what we are doing. Its an Observation of How we are doing it.

In a slightly more Humorous light than youve gleaned. You Frowning Mustacheo.