Is Akido worth learning? (Self Defense)

O'Malley

Black Belt
Reaction score
It's specifically designed to immobilise, but not hurt. I have disdain for this because out of all the confrontations I have had, my opponents never went easy on me, and the idea that I should is something I disagree with.

That's actually a myth. Immobilisations are a relatively small part of the curriculum, and an even smaller part of the overall skills trained in aikido. Furthermore, the techniques themselves are not comparatively safer to an attacker. Actually, competitive arts (e.g. wrestling) are much better at neutralising an opponent without hurting him.

This is because it trains through repetition, and though I am a traditionalist, it's simply a method of training that won't allow you to use Aikido for self-defense until you have dedicated yourself to it for a long time.

I don't really understand what you mean by "repetition" but most aikido training is through solo training and kata. However, there are many approaches and emphases to kata training: Pattern Drills: A Requisite Training Methodology Towards Combative Effectiveness – 古現武道

In contrast, modern arts such as Boxing and Sambo, even though they're not necessarily made for self-defense, teach you things from your very first lesson that you can apply almost as soon you walk out of the lesson. Aikido has thousands of techniques - Boxing has 4 punches (with some slight variations) and 5 defenses at most. It also encourages sparring, and unless your school of aikido does too, you're already at a disadvantage compared to the average boxing gym.

Mostly agree with this. Just a note on the "thousands of techniques" bit as it is imprecise. Modern aikido has actually very few techniques (about a dozen) performed from about twenty positions. The curriculum is very limited. I guess that you are referring to "Takemusu Aiki" (birth of martial), the idea that application of aikido principles can be expressed through an infinite number of forms, which is quite different.

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
That's actually a myth. Immobilisations are a relatively small part of the curriculum, and an even smaller part of the overall skills trained in aikido. Furthermore, the techniques themselves are not comparatively safer to an attacker. Actually, competitive arts (e.g. wrestling) are much better at neutralising an opponent without hurting him.

I don't really understand what you mean by "repetition" but most aikido training is through solo training and kata. However, there are many approaches and emphases to kata training: Pattern Drills: A Requisite Training Methodology Towards Combative Effectiveness – 古現武道

Mostly agree with this. Just a note on the "thousands of techniques" bit as it is imprecise. Modern aikido has actually very few techniques (about a dozen) performed from about twenty positions. The curriculum is very limited. I guess that you are referring to "Takemusu Aiki" (birth of martial), the idea that application of aikido principles can be expressed through an infinite number of forms, which is quite different.
My father's friend described how all of his training was dedicated to locks and techniques that stopped an opponent from moving. As for the repetition, that's exactly what I refer to; lots of training to apply techniques and to perfect them, very little actual application. Many TMAs have a trend where partners show little resistance when techniques are applied, and Aikido doesn't have the commodity of sparring.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
My father's friend described how all of his training was dedicated to locks and techniques that stopped an opponent from moving. As for the repetition, that's exactly what I refer to; lots of training to apply techniques and to perfect them, very little actual application. Many TMAs have a trend where partners show little resistance when techniques are applied, and Aikido doesn't have the commodity of sparring.
Repetition is key in any martial training. You won’t get good at any of this if you do it ten times and then decide your training is complete and finished. Every time you train, you are doing repetition. I don’t see how you can claim otherwise. What I bolded above, you are describing application, which is what you are saying isn’t done, in the same sentence. Would you care to clarify?

If you are really talking about resistance training, that is a different matter. But when you stop repetition, you have stopped training.

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
Repetition is key in any martial training. You won’t get good at any of this if you do it ten times and then decide your training is complete and finished. Every time you train, you are doing repetition. I don’t see how you can claim otherwise. What I bolded above, you are describing application, which is what you are saying isn’t done, in the same sentence. Would you care to clarify?

If you are really talking about resistance training, that is a different matter. But when you stop repetition, you have stopped training.
I disagree.
Repetition is always training.
Training is not always repetition.

I could practice a sidekick 10,000 times a day, but the correct technique is worthless if I don't learn to apply it under pressure, or apply it in general. From my experience, TMAs don't teach you to apply techniques under pressure, at least not until a much later level compared to combat sports.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You described the main problem with Aikido, in my opinion, right there. It's specifically designed to immobilise, but not hurt. I have disdain for this because out of all the confrontations I have had, my opponents never went easy on me, and the idea that I should is something I disagree with.

There is a very good book about Aikido called Angry White Pyjamas, a real page-turner. My father also has a friend who has been doing Aikido for a while and claimed he watched him defend himself from a drunk quite skillfully. But if I am honest, you are putting yourself at a disadvantage nowadays if you choose to train in martial arts such as Aikido. This is because it trains through repetition, and though I am a traditionalist, it's simply a method of training that won't allow you to use Aikido for self-defense until you have dedicated yourself to it for a long time.

In contrast, modern arts such as Boxing and Sambo, even though they're not necessarily made for self-defense, teach you things from your very first lesson that you can apply almost as soon you walk out of the lesson. Aikido has thousands of techniques - Boxing has 4 punches (with some slight variations) and 5 defenses at most. It also encourages sparring, and unless your school of aikido does too, you're already at a disadvantage compared to the average boxing gym.
Aïkido contains plenty of techniques that can injure. Early on, injuries were actually common in the dojo. What you see now is largely the result of a later, more philosophical approach.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aikido can have sparring. There’s really no reason it can’t be there.

As for the immobilizations, many schools practice always finishing with one. But the techniques used to get there are often destructive (uke uses breakfalls to avoid injury).

MartialMasterTeddy

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
If your looking for esoteric Inner Powers then a System of Mental Constraint and Restraints such as Ashtanga Yoga is better for you. Plus it can be done 100% alone without a partner.
But for MPA, if you only just stand in front of a mirror doing movements it doesn't make any sense. It is an extremely, extremely social Field and Field of Activity.

Latest Discussions