martial arts/self defense,is it worth it?

drummingman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
there is an aspect about training in the martial arts and self defense that i have thought about for some time now that i would like all of your thoughts on.it has to do with why a person should put in all the time that it takes to get good at an art when the likelihood is that you will never have to use it is really there.it almost makes the training seem not worth it.
let me explane where my thought process is coming from.im a drummer and i practice the drums so that i can be better for performing.i know that when i practice that i am going to be able to go all out with my drumming skills when im playing in a band.the band is the pay off for me slaving away in the practice room for hours,days,months and years.i know that i am going to be able to display all of my hard work when i join that band and record a cd and start playing live with that band.but in the study of martial arts and self defense a person my never get the chance to really use the skills that they have worked so hard on.and then there is the fact that a person should not long to get into a fight on the street anyway.but it's a natural tendency to want to put into practice in some way what we have learned.to do this in a sport context does not fill that void because of the rules that are in the sport world of fighting.this keeps a person from being able to fully use the skills that they have worked on.also,if a person focuses most of their attention on sport fighting then i feel that when in a street fight they will not naturally use some of the most effect techniques that would put an attacker out of commission,like groin shots,eye gouges,ect.
so to sum it all up what im asking is why spend all the time and effort and money to become skilled in the martial arts and self defense when we may never be able to use it or at least use it to it's fullest extent?
i look forward to your replies.

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
The vast majority of the new students I've gotten are from people who are looking to learn self defense as a means to understanding themselves better. I get some people who have had a negative experience and they genuinely want to learn to protect themselves. There are so many reasons for studying it isn't fair to have to say you'll never use your skills. I use the discipline and problem solving skills every day. I haven't had to resort to my physical skills in six years. In the entire time I've been training I've only had one altercation - and that was more of a wrong place/wrong time deal and was over in less than 4 seconds anywho.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Great thread!

Well, there are about as many reasons to study the Martial Arts and SD as there are practioners. For some, it's an activity they enjoy for the sake of it, for others, it's a much less boring way of keeping fit. I've often wondered about the utility of continuing my training. But even at my skill level, if I went a year without training at all, I'd loose a lot of what I've worked so hard for. When it comes down to it, for most civilians it's a hobby, pure and simple. Albeit, one that may save your life someday.

Jeff

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think people study MA for alot of reasons. Same things w/ drumming. Some people may just enjoy playing the drums. Some people may find beating on something (drums) a good way to relieve tension. Some may want to make money. Some may want to meet chicks... For some, its a combination of all of the above.

Likewise, there are a myriad of reasons why someone may want to study martial arts. Some study for self-defense. Some find it a better way of staying in shape. You learn something rather than running in circles or pumping iron. Some find it a method of learning more about themselves. Some just find it a fun hobby. Some need it on their jobs (police, military).

People find all kind of different ways to dispense of their time and money. Some go spend alot going to sporting events. Some enjoy spending time and money on movies. Some collect things and spend alot doing so. Some on trips. Its just a matter of what you value and where you place your priorities. I think alot of MAist would rather spend two hours working out than two hours sitting at home w/ their newest DVD.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would like to believe that 50% of my student are there to learn the true essence of Martial Arts and the rest are there just to be there.

yrwca

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Real stories never end. Even decades later, they are still progressing somewhere, even if you can't see it. Every act has consequences for all involved. The story is only beginning when you stand over a broken foe.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What's the saying? ... hmm... ah, yes.... "Better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it." Same with the training in MA/SD.
Only twice in my life have I had to bring my training up to use in a for real situation. I'm willing to bet that's probably twice as many times as half of the people on this board.
Some people may train their whole lives and achieve the highest rank in their (respective) art and never actually had to use it. Was it a waste? Absolutely not. Is it worth it? Absolutely every dollar, every minute, every cramp, every bruise, every scratch, every defeat in a tournament, every single thing/aspect/regard of the training that each of us has put in to our respective art... yes, it's been worth it.

:asian:

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'll answer your question with a couple of my own. Do you have car insurance? Home owners/renters insurance? Regular medical check-ups (Physicals, eye exams, etc...)?

Point is we all do things that we may never "use" but pay for everyday. I hope I never have to test my insurance policies, but they are there if I need them. Hope I never have to test how good any of my Doctors are, but they are there if I do.

Same with my MA's, I hope I never have to really test them, but if I do, the training will be there. It is exactly the concept of having the tools needed to do the job at hand, and not being put in a really bad spot because we are found lacking. Plus it is a great way to work off some agression and stress of the day. That and the fact I have met some really great people on this journey.

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
In regard to the usefullness of tranining in something that you may never use: do you buy car insurance with the intention of wrecking your car? Self-defense is similar to insurance in this way. You train hard so it will work and then you pray you will never have to use it.

AoG

ISMA girl

White Belt
Reaction score
there is an aspect about training in the martial arts and self defense that i have thought about for some time now that i would like all of your thoughts on.it has to do with why a person should put in all the time that it takes to get good at an art when the likelihood is that you will never have to use it is really there.it almost makes the training seem not worth it.
let me explane where my thought process is coming from.im a drummer and i practice the drums so that i can be better for performing.i know that when i practice that i am going to be able to go all out with my drumming skills when im playing in a band.the band is the pay off for me slaving away in the practice room for hours,days,months and years.i know that i am going to be able to display all of my hard work when i join that band and record a cd and start playing live with that band.but in the study of martial arts and self defense a person my never get the chance to really use the skills that they have worked so hard on.and then there is the fact that a person should not long to get into a fight on the street anyway.but it's a natural tendency to want to put into practice in some way what we have learned.to do this in a sport context does not fill that void because of the rules that are in the sport world of fighting.this keeps a person from being able to fully use the skills that they have worked on.also,if a person focuses most of their attention on sport fighting then i feel that when in a street fight they will not naturally use some of the most effect techniques that would put an attacker out of commission,like groin shots,eye gouges,ect.
so to sum it all up what im asking is why spend all the time and effort and money to become skilled in the martial arts and self defense when we may never be able to use it or at least use it to it's fullest extent?
why pay for car insurance when you may never get in a wreck? just in case. but at least with ma training you are getting something out of it.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Self Defense, physical effectiveness, mental accuity, exercise, self assuredness, spiritual growth, competition and the list goes on and on why people study martial arts. Is it worth it? That is an individual question that only each person can answer. For myself it is absolutely worth it and I will never stop training.

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The worth of the martial arts, or of anything else for that matter, is an individual decision, and it changes with time and. What is it worth to you? How much money would somebody have to give you to stop doing something and never do it again?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that your martial arts training may also have saved your life or saved you from having a beating without you knowing it. When muggers, rapists etc look for a victim they want a compliant one and look for someone who walks perhaps hesitantly down a dark road or appears timid, an easy victim. Martials artists on the whole tend to walk confidently and with a certain air about them ( I'm sure the Japanese will have a word for this aura for want of a better English word) and will have been discounted as an easy victim.
My instructor while admittedly being a tall man has such an air about him, it's very strong in fact. In crowds we go behind him as the people unconciously move out of his way! Great when you are small like me!

The Kidd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
One of the reasons I study is because I do use it (more than I wish I had to) but I believe I would train even if I didnt maybe not with the same emphasis but I enjoy achieving goals and pushing myself.

With the car insurance analagy I feel more people would be willing to pay the money because it is alot less painful and time consuming than working out in class so many times a week.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

drummingman,

I assume you only play the drums so you can make money.

I assume that you gain no enjoyment out of the actual playing.

If for some reason you play the drums because you enjoy it, then look at martial arts as if you enjoy it or not.

Do you enjoy the aspect of practicing?

Do you enjoy the aspect of learning, even if just to self improve yourself?

Do you enjoy the aspect of teaching?

I enjoy the movement, for the movement istelf.

I enjoy getting better myself.

I enjoy teaching to those who want to improve themselves.

I also enjoy those few cases when a student comes back and say thank you. What they learned, be it little or middle or what have you, and they tell a story of a guy trying to man handle them (* a woman *), or defend themselves against that one in what ever percentage of being attacked.
I am upset of course that they were attacked, but I am glad that they survived and was able to defend themselves or defend themsleves until help could get there or assist them.

But if you do not enjoy it, let us be honest, will you truly put your heart into it? Will you truly get better? You will get to a certain point, but when it requires effort to work through something, if you do not enjoy it, or have a need for it, you will just walk away. The question you have to ask yourself is your ego going to allow you to walk away, knowing that you quit on something? Some people go until Black Belt and then walk away. They think they have enough, and maybe they do. But like I said if you do not enjoy it for the work out or for the enjoyment of the movements or the learning then why spend the time and effort, when you could be playing video games or golf or soccor, or what ever else you enjoy.

I wish you good luck.

King

Green Belt
Reaction score
...why a person should put in all the time that it takes to get good at an art when the likelihood is that you will never have to use it is really there.it almost makes the training seem not worth it.

If you like/love doing something, do you really need more incentive to do it? I genuinely enjoy training and I feel most alive when I do. Also I feel that if you've mastered a skill and feel confident that it will work - do you really need to prove it? I think it's mostly self-doubt (or plain vanity) that makes somebody seek out an opportunity to cause harm just to see "if" it works.

Remember as you train in martial arts you also develop discipline, awareness, etc... but I hope also your mind. By showing restraint in force you display your discipline. Being wary and avoiding trouble in the first place is awareness. Knowing what to do and when to act just shows how much you've mastered "self-defense"; which is a skill being used to it's full extent if you ask me. Breakfalls has saved my life a few times where kicks or punches would have been useless. I think that the fighting aspect is such a small part of the whole but it's easy just to focus on it. I'm not saying that fighting is not important but I'm hoping you are getting more from your training than that.

Good luck with your training.

bcbernam777

Brown Belt
Reaction score
There is a saying, it is not the destination that is important, it is the journey

Shotochem

Purple Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
It's all about the challege.
Learning new things, pushing your mind and body to new limits. The only payment or reward is the sense of accomplishment and self fufillment. The friends, the comraderie, and self defense aspects all come second to me personally.

Surely you don't think we should all be dueling in the streets to see who has the greater Kung Fu.:btg:

Most of us hopefully will be fortunate enough to not have to use our training in a life threatening situation.

That.......... is a good thing.:)

L Canyon

Orange Belt
Reaction score
drummingman,

I assume you only play the drums so you can make money.

I assume that you gain no enjoyment out of the actual playing.

If for some reason you play the drums because you enjoy it, then look at martial arts as if you enjoy it or not.

Do you enjoy the aspect of practicing?

Do you enjoy the aspect of learning, even if just to self improve yourself?

Do you enjoy the aspect of teaching?

I enjoy the movement, for the movement istelf.

I enjoy getting better myself.

I enjoy teaching to those who want to improve themselves.

I also enjoy those few cases when a student comes back and say thank you. What they learned, be it little or middle or what have you, and they tell a story of a guy trying to man handle them (* a woman *), or defend themselves against that one in what ever percentage of being attacked.
I am upset of course that they were attacked, but I am glad that they survived and was able to defend themselves or defend themsleves until help could get there or assist them.

But if you do not enjoy it, let us be honest, will you truly put your heart into it? Will you truly get better? You will get to a certain point, but when it requires effort to work through something, if you do not enjoy it, or have a need for it, you will just walk away. The question you have to ask yourself is your ego going to allow you to walk away, knowing that you quit on something? Some people go until Black Belt and then walk away. They think they have enough, and maybe they do. But like I said if you do not enjoy it for the work out or for the enjoyment of the movements or the learning then why spend the time and effort, when you could be playing video games or golf or soccor, or what ever else you enjoy.

I wish you good luck.

I play guitar .......but I really don't make any money from it. But I enjoy it far too much to ever consider quitting.

If it makes you "who you are", you must do it.