Is 8 too young for such high praise

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
(I doubt my mind is clearer after having had as sleepless night....)

It seems to me that we need to work on lengthening our own line instead of trying to cut this young fella's (John Hyams reference...)

Only time will tell if he can stay on top of his game. He has yet to grow and see where that takes him with his technique (longer legs don't move as quick, generally speaking) as well as dealing with all the other crud life throws at you.

I guess for now he is as pure as you can be...untouched by much of life.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I wish the boy all the best. I mean that sincerely. I hope he goes on to a wonderful life, with happiness and full Martial blood, raising a family and leading martial Artists for decades to come. But right now he is an eight year old boy. I don't care how well he kicks or competes in contests, he's a kid, he don't know squat about life in general, or Martial Arts in particular.

tayl0124

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I think 8 is too young. Sure write it down in a book somewhere that he was the best 8 year old out there, what does that really mean?? But before gets awarded such a high award, let the kid go through puberty first to see how he reacts to how his body will be changing.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
I dont really know the situation or what this award actually entails. But I dont believe you should be gaining too much praise at that age. An adult who succeeds is the best of the best, no one can beat them, whereas an 8 year old is the best of the 8 year olds which is a much smaller group. I hope he continues to improve and can one day be a world champion that no one can beat, like a tiger woods of tkd for instance, but the harsh reality at the moment is that he is really good for an 8 year old which probably doesnt warrant too much 'over the top' praise. Currently there would be a lot more people who could beat him than people he could beat. You dont hear of 8 year old footballers being added to the hall of fame because they are good in the under 8's, they have to prove themselves at "all ages" before people stand up and take notice.

OP
M

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
You dont hear of 8 year old footballers being added to the hall of fame because they are good in the under 8's, they have to prove themselves at "all ages" before people stand up and take notice.

Just to clarify again, he is not being entered into the HoF. Just receiving a "Special Award" from the HoF. Still I think that someone should have to do a bit more in life than beat up a few other 7 & 8 year old kids in the ring to get even a "Special Award" from the HoF. I am not sure what exactly he has given to the sport, other than some very nice highlight clips on You Tube.

OP
M

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Here is the copy of the letter inviting him to the ceremony: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=150984258302433&set=pu.112267068840819&type=1

It says that he is getting their "Youth Excellence Award" for having an extraordinary competitive "backround". Not sure if they meant background or literally meant back round (as in kick). Also scholastic excellence.

So is the "Youth Excellence Award" something that they give out every year or is this the first time? I do not know.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just to clarify again, he is not being entered into the HoF. Just receiving a "Special Award" from the HoF. Still I think that someone should have to do a bit more in life than beat up a few other 7 & 8 year old kids in the ring to get even a "Special Award" from the HoF. I am not sure what exactly he has given to the sport, other than some very nice highlight clips on You Tube.
I agree, AND it opens a can of worms. Surely then you have a 13 year old somewhere who kicks all the 13 year old asses saying "well why arent I getting a special award?". Im sure he is not the first junior tkdist with exceptional talent.

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Some of the responses are good and some seem like petty jealousy. Sure he is ony eight but that is the point. He isbeautiful to watch.Frederick travels the world and wins everywhere. He is deserving of an award recognizing his current accomplishments(my opinion).

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Some of the responses are good and some seem like petty jealousy. Sure he is ony eight but that is the point. He isbeautiful to watch.Frederick travels the world and wins everywhere. He is deserving of an award recognizing his current accomplishments(my opinion).
I think you have a point, providing he is the first child to ever be 'that' good. In the past, or currently, have their been child tkdists who have achieved what he has? If not, then maybe some 'token' award is due, but if others in the past have been world beaters then they would rightly feel they have missed out. I find it hard to believe that he is the first child prodigy of this sport, but I wouldnt know the first thing about sport tkd so could well be wrong. How good is he? I mean really good rugby league players at 8 years old have been known to more than hold their own against good 12 year olds. How would this young lad go against "good" (world class) 12 year olds? Just curious (I used league as an example because like MA size/height plays a significant part, as he would be much smaller than 12 year olds which is the same disadvantage faced by 8 year old league players where their skill overcomes lack of size in a very physical sport, most physical on earth in fact)

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We have had many 5-10 years olds that have never been beaten until they moved into the 14-17 division and then oh well they just could not keep up and eventually got lost in the mix. I certainly see his talent but to give a award now is simply wrong (my opinion). We need to wait and see where the talent is at a more higher level and that is what seperates so many in that 14-17 age group. So he has better balance and movement than his counterparts at a young age but what happens when they all start to catch up to him. I have seen to many young people fall a part under the pressure of real competition, remember the pool of excellent talent at that age is very small and we all know that.

Latest Discussions