Age of students - what age will you start teaching?

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What age do you think students should start at, and why? The following comment came out of 5 year old black belts? - but my response turned more into a teaching philosophy than a discussion of very young black belts, so I started this thread instead.

This was one of the biggest complaints my Instructor had when he was teaching the kids class years ago. Parents would just dump their kids off for an hour and consider it cheap babysitting. He actually advised many parents to withdraw their kids because it was obvious the kids didn't care.
I will never allow what I teach to degenerate into a recreational activity to make 8 year olds happy and give them something to do. Don't get me started on 4 year olds. You start practicing when you're 4 years old, hypothetically get black belt (or junior black belt) at 7 or 8, and then what? What exactly can you do? You can't teach; you really can't compete in major tournaments; you truly won't understand what it is you're doing until maybe teens.
But starting when you're 12, you get black belt by 14-15, right when serious peer pressure starts. By the time you're 18-19, you are probably 2nd Dan, and in a good position to really help out and mature.
I think Instructors who allow very young children to make black belt are looking for money and exposure, neither of which I need (not that badly anyway). I'd rather stick with older kids and know that I'm making a difference.

If that works for you, then do it that way. My class is a mixed-age class, and I currently have ages 8 - grandmother (actually, the 8 year-old is her grandson; I haven't asked her age, so I don't know - but I'd guess late 40s or early 50s). I've never had problems with the kids in the class, and only once had a problem with a parent dropping the younger sibling "to try the class" when he needed a babysitter; it happened twice, and the parents were told that if it happened again, the child who was actually a member would not be allowed back - and it never happened again. That's once in 14 years of being an instructor.

Part of it is how you structure your class; part of it is the make up of the class. For various reasons, largely related to class being 90 minutes long, I won't take students who aren't at least 7 or 8, and if they can't last through a 90 minute class, it's not the right class for them.

On the other hand, I have a colleague who teaches a kids' class that is aimed more at preparing students to be in the older kids' class; they learn gross motor skills, how to follow directions, basic commands and exercises, basic kicks, and how to work alone, in pairs, and in larger groups. The rank system is separate, involving multiple stripes on a white belt; by the time kids are old enough for the older kids' class, they are ready for 9th or 8th gup, and pick up from there. Even in the older kids' class, kids up to about 12 progress more slowly than other students, and black belts at younger ages just doesn't come up - and his retention of students who start at 6 or younger is much higher than his retention of students who start at 10 or older, because they have already made TKD part of their lives, and don't drop it for whatever sport is in season - they pick up other activities in addition to, rather than instead of. There's also the option of junior ranks, such as the poom ranks used by the WTF.

There's lots of research that shows that the earlier a child becomes active, the more likely that activity level is to last throughout the child's life - just because I don't agree with 5 year-old black belts, doesn't mean I won't teach kids; my first student to reach black belt started in my class at 11, and earned her I Dan at 18. I currently have a student who is 13, started at 10, and is testing for 1st gup this evening; she could potentially test for her I Dan in November, by which time she'll be 14... and she's outlasted, and out-performed, every teenager, and quite a few adults, who have started in the several years. And I know that I've made a difference in the lives of the kids I've taught - quite a few have come back and told me so.

I also teach a couple of students that I know many instructors wouldn't teach - they are both developmentally delayed, and one has Down's Syndrome, while the other has cerebral palsy. Intellectually, they are both children, so from that perspective I will include them in this discussion. They have both taught me and my other students an incredible amount about perseverance - after 6 years for 1, and 3 for the other, they have each reached the rank of 8th gup, working on 7th gup - which could take another year. They watch students who start after them move past them, and yet they continue to come, to train, to improve as much as they can. So what if they'll never be great martial artists physically? They have much to teach, and we have much to learn.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kacey you know me so here is my response, I lived over sea;s and saw GM and Master teach childern and they could control the classes. I too teach childern and now I'm label a kiddy instructor bu alot of folks. We award the poom ranks for out junior BB and no I never ever had a 5 year old BB but have had a few eight year olds and they stated with me at three, when they are that young it is more about motor skills than actual MA skill. I also beleive thta a child and I will use my own son Zachary he is going to be turning 14 in two months and then I will retest him for his Dan rank, the Kukkiwon says I can just transfer without another test but not with me there is certain material he needs to understand that he was old enough to learn.

The only thing I would like to add is this the WTF has no way of giving rank they govern the sport aspect of TKD, it is the Kukkiwon that offer a poom rank for those under the age of 14.

Thank you so much for this thread it should be a great converstation piece.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Currently, I teach both kids & adults in the same class. I start at age 7. While I've had a few remarkable kids as young as 4 in the past, I feel that 7 is a good age to start. All my students are 7th Gup or bellow at this point, so it's not an issue of advanced or more sensitive techniques.

If I were to teach younger kids, I'd have a program just for them. But, I don't have the time or inclination at this point.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Currently, I teach both kids & adults in the same class. I start at age 7. While I've had a few remarkable kids as young as 4 in the past, I feel that 7 is a good age to start. All my students are 7th Gup or bellow at this point, so it's not an issue of advanced or more sensitive techniques.

If I were to teach younger kids, I'd have a program just for them. But, I don't have the time or inclination at this point.

How is the school going? Are you making enough to get by right now. Keeping ypou in our prayer that everything will work out for you.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How is the school going? Are you making enough to get by right now. Keeping ypou in our prayer that everything will work out for you.

I'm doing well, Terry. Thank you for asking & praying, sir. I have about 8 of my returning students & 8 new students. It's a good start! I'm far from the break even point: but off to a good start.

For me, it was hard having a "real job" but not being able to teach. Now I have a school again with no "real" money coming in. I'm looking for a job in my area so that I can do both. I'm also still in talks with another church in town to teach TKD there. My spirits are up & my wife is supportive, so all is headed in the right direction.

Thanks for your concerns.

And now, back to the thread:lol2:

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If thery are old enough to follow the instruction and old enough to preform the moves correctly then teach them.
If they are mimicing their older brother/sister who studies or parent all of the time , teach them
If they can not learn disilian and disrupt the class all the time , they should leave
If the system and classes are designed for sport, excercise and not for street then teach them. This means they are not being shown how to break arms, legs, necks, or how to kill in class

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is coming from an aikido practitioner so it will be from a little different outlook than TKD. For my dojo the minimum age is 7. Personally, I feel that's a little young for most kids as the concepts of aikido are so counter-instinctive. Punch, kick, move are all instinctive movements and what I feel makes TKD such a great first art for children. Blend, parry, redirect just don't translate well to a 7 year old. In Nihon Goshin Aikido there are no junior black belt ranks and certainly no child black belts at all. Our rank structure runs junior white through junior green. At that point kids are expected to start attending adult classes. As they progress at this "limbo" rank they start to really see the more detailed side of the art and grasp some of the more advanced concepts. When they're ready to test to the next level it's from junior green to adult yellow. Earliest they'll make sho-dan in NGA is 15 or 16.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My ranking is about the way theletch1 discribes his. No JR black belts . Kids go up in rank but then must attend adult classes (when old enough 0 and test as adults and start at yellow belt again. Yes if they have studied hard they may not be at that reank long

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
W
On the other hand, I have a colleague who teaches a kids' class that is aimed more at preparing students to be in the older kids' class; they learn gross motor skills, how to follow directions, basic commands and exercises, basic kicks, and how to work alone, in pairs, and in larger groups. The rank system is separate...

I teach a class that sounds like it matches this exactly. We do a half hour twice a week with ages 4-7. It involves all the aspects you listed above (along with saying sir/ma'am, staying in line, waiting your turn, keeping your hands to yourself, etc), which in my opinion is some really valuable stuff for young children. And anything that instills an active life style at a young age has value. They have a separate belt system with completely different requirements, but it works progressively, so that by the time they are ready to joint the "big class" (after about 2-4 years in my class depending on the age) they start as a 9th gup, but can already recognize all the basic kicks, strikes, and blocks. And some can even perform some of them well too! I think it is a great class. We do make sure you always call it "pre-taekwondo" though so no one gets what we are trying to teach them confused with the "real deal"

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sounds like out Tiger Cubs, 4-6 years old. Following instructions and doing simple things as well as basic safety measures (the effectiveness can be disputed, but knowing your telephone number and address in case you take the wrong turn in the mall isn't a bad skill to have, though 'Stop Stranger, don't touch me!' seems to be a duck-and-cover feel-good type move....)

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sounds like out Tiger Cubs, 4-6 years old. Following instructions and doing simple things as well as basic safety measures (the effectiveness can be disputed, but knowing your telephone number and address in case you take the wrong turn in the mall isn't a bad skill to have, though 'Stop Stranger, don't touch me!' seems to be a duck-and-cover feel-good type move....)

A tad off topic here, but what do you mean by the bolded? I teach kids of all ages to scream "you're NOT my dad!" (or mom) if someone ever attempts to force them out of public place. We see kids yelling/crying in public all the time and assume they are just spoiled brats not getting what they want. But I am willing to bet if someone heard a kid yelling "you are not my dad" people are going to take a closer look at the situation (I know I would!). Of course, if someone really wants to take a child there may be little that can be done by the child to stop him/her, but teaching them small things such as this surely can not hurt.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, statisticly children of that age (or most people for that matter) are usually not violated, snatched up by the stranger in a dark alley, but by people very much up close and trusted. Aside from the fact that 4-6 year olds on their own is not a likely occurance either. The Cub Scouts take the safety instruction a little further, and you have kinda walk the tightrope on conveying 'touching' and 'photos' but more realistic IMHO.

Anyhow, "Stop Stranger, don't touch me!" is part of our curriculum for the little ones, besides the proper way to introduce yourself and the magic trick of making a room full of little wussly kids stand absolutely still for 30 seconds ;)

Some of the kids are dragged to class by helpless parents for the instructors 'to jerk a knot in them' (the Simpsons episode were Ned Flanders snaps comes to mind sometimes: "we tried nothing and we a re all out of ideas") a few keep on going to the regular junior classes and advance through the ranks.

The classes are a challenge, but lots of fun. (I actually prefer them over the regular white/yellow group)

rabbit

Blue Belt
Reaction score
When I first started class I kinda had a bad attitude toward very young instructors. This student was 11 or 12 at the time and I realize now I could have had a better attitude about it. He is older now so I think I shouldn't of treated him poorly.

Looking back on it I think I could of show more character. It was a valuable lesson for me. Don't disrespect 5 year old black belts. Even if they shouldn't have that rank becuase they are too young they should still be treated with respect for two reasons....

1. They are human and yes, they have feelings.
2. They are black belt

I think for kids the most important thing is life skills. The people around the kids should keep the atmosphere positive and conductive to learning. If the kids are happy the adults will be too.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I will take a student at age 5, but I don't have a very high hope that they will comprehend very much or that they will stick with it. I would love to start new students at age 8 only, but with my new teaching situation, I am taking them at 5.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am amazed at how many would take younger students with all the flack I usuallt get from everybody. It is nice to see other people believing you can teach certain things to young ones. It is also nice to see that they understand that childern have limatation as well and need that extra attention when training. Also remember adults need the same thing most of the time.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
When all is said and done, I don't like teaching anyone younger than 12 years old. I tend to be very intense when I teach, and I'm not a babysitter.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh, a class full of 12 yo. - paradise....

It is more rewarding to teach the more mature, but you can find a few pearls among the younger. We got one kid in the program right now, he was 4, but much more mature then his fellow cubs...he moved out of that group in a hurry and is still going strong.

On the other hand - taking this off topic once more, how do you deal with kids who are obviously not like the majority? I don't mean bullies and disrespectful, but more like odd, like the body and mind a re not connected.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When all is said and done, I don't like teaching anyone younger than 12 years old. I tend to be very intense when I teach, and I'm not a babysitter.

Youngman I intense as well but being intense does not mean being rude and such. Many adilts do not like abbrassive tachtiques when being tought. Teenaher to me are the worst they know everything and then again nothing at all and are the biggest smart asses to me.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh, a class full of 12 yo. - paradise....

It is more rewarding to teach the more mature, but you can find a few pearls among the younger. We got one kid in the program right now, he was 4, but much more mature then his fellow cubs...he moved out of that group in a hurry and is still going strong.

On the other hand - taking this off topic once more, how do you deal with kids who are obviously not like the majority? I don't mean bullies and disrespectful, but more like odd, like the body and mind a re not connected.

Patience my friend and getting the parents involved in classes and what you are trying to do to help those student grow into the majority.

Latest Discussions