Denmark Easter Camp, 2004: Review

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
I just returned Monday from Solrod Strand, Denmark, where I attended the 2004 International Tae Kwon Do Easter Camp.(http://www.paaskelejr.dk/uk/).

Upon arriving at the camp Friday I noticed excited anticipation among the roughly 300 registering participants. This is, by all accounts, is the largest Tae Kwon Do camp in all of Europe. The staff working there got everybody registered efficiently, having set up a computer and a data base (these folks ran the camp beautifully...it seemed to go without a hitch). By 1:00 everybody was ready to gather for the opening ceremony in the main hall of the sports complex. We started training soon after that.

I was there helping Datu Tim Hartman teach Modern Arnis basics to the students. To their credit, the organizers of the camp are progressive and open minded. They wanted Tim to come in and share some of his techniques so that they could expand their self defense skills. I was there as his "uke", feeding him strikes and taking the falls. I was fortunate enough to get a little teaching time myself...which I considered an honor.

We worked with every age group, from five years and up...and every belt level. There was no language barrier when working with the adults and teens, as all Danes learn passable, if not excellent, English while in high school. The younger kids spoke less English, but we managed to get the concepts across. When needed, there was always some fully bi-lingual thirteen year old who was more than eager to help translate.

The students were great! I honestly have to say that the Danes must have invented hospitality. Everyone was cordial to us, generous, and helpful. The students worked hard...particularly the black belts in the Special Black Belt Seminar (SBBS). This latter group seemed pretty hungry for what we had to offer. They knocked out reps of technique with a zeal we rarely see in the states. I wish my students worked half that hard.

The highest ranking TKD instructor there was seventh dan Dang Dinh Ky Tu. Master Tu is of Vietnamese descent, and a Danish Marine. When he isn't patrolling Danish waters as a part of his regular job he teaches Tae Kwon Do...and his skills are in high demand. He's technical director for the Danish national team and travels periodically to Israel and throughout Europe to coach and consult. I found him to be quite friendly and easy to talk to. His English was superb, and his TKD skills are legendary.

Another instructor, Klaus Pederson, was the primary instructor for the Special Black Belt Seminar. Klaus is a 4th dan in Kenpo, but told me that TKD was his first love. He spent the weekend showing the black belts technique breakdown for their forms ("kata bunkai" in other martial arts circles). Given Klaus' diverse background, I imagine he had some pretty fascinating things show. Klaus' skills are also very much in demand in Denmark, and he spends a great deal of time teaching.

There were a number of other instructors there...all of whom I had the good fortune to meet. Sadly, I didn't get a chance to see them in action. Their backgrounds are posted on the web site, you'll note. Given their qualifications, I wish I'd had an opportunity to watch them in action. They clearly have a lot to offer.

Because of my commitment to helping Tim, I couldn't observe much of the TKD training...but from what I could see it was pretty intense. Sessions lasted an hour and a half and had extended breaks between them...this was necessary given the rigors of the training. I'll leave it to others to post what they did specifically regarding drills, conditioning, etc. Hopefully some of the participants read this forum.

The camp is held in an elementary school and an adjoining sports complex. Students camp at the school in sleeping bags and take their meals in the cafeteria there, and the bulk of the training takes place in the complex. A good sized concession stand was set up for snacks and drinks.

Meals were catered and consisted of traditional Danish fare...and it was really very good. I was in Denmark a week, and I never got a bad meal there. At the camp I found myself filling my plate with Danish meatballs, various types of fish, chicken, salads, rolls, original Danish rye bread (the menu on the web site doesn't begin to describe what they had)...and then I found myself going back for seconds.

I weighed myself upon returning to Indiana and found I had LOST two pounds. This defies all logic, given my obvious new found passion for Danish food. Perhaps I should market "The Denmark Diet"...I could blow Atkins and "The South Beach Diet" out of the water and make a fortune.

Participating students have access to a sauna and showers in the sports facility. At the end of the camp a huge pool party is organized in the complexes heated swimming pool. Because of the cold weather typical to the region, the Danes heat their swimming pools up quite a bit. The students appreciated this...it was a great way to loosen up sore muscles.

I arrived in Denmark the Monday prior to the camp and spent the first part of the week touring Copenhagen, Elsinor, and Helsingborg Sweden with Tim and/or my wife, Linda. For non-Danes attending the camp I HEARTILY RECOMMEND THIS. The country has some beautiful scenery and tourist attractions. My wife toured no less than four royal palaces and got to see the Danish crown jewels. We also managed to see Elsinor castle ("Hamlet's Castle") which is properly known as "Kronborg". It was magnificent.

There is a weapons museum near Christianborg Palace that houses hundreds of swords, cannon, rifles, muskets, and machine guns...some of the weapons were well over five hundred years old. I have never in my life seen such a fine display of historical weaponry.

Sweden is a ferry ride away if you're in Elsinor...or you can drive or take a train if you want to go over that massive engineering marvel that connects Copenhagen with Malmo, Sweden...the Oresund bridge.

If you're going to attend a camp in a foreign country...see the sites!

The International Tae Kwon Do Easter Camp is inexpensive. For the visitor from outside Denmark, the largest expense incurred is likely to be the cost of travel. Don't assume the cheap price reflects a cheap camp, however. It is a professionally run camp with first rate instruction.

I urge every TKD practitioner on this forum to consider taking a trip to Denmark and giving this camp a shot. I think you'll find it a rewarding experience.

My compliments to the directors of the camp and to all its participants. Job well done!

:asian:

Regards,

Steve

Z

Zeke

Hello Steve
Thanks for the glowing rewiev of our camp. I'm very happy that both you and Linda had a good time in Denmark. I can tell you that you made a very good impression on all the students that worked out with you and Tim
It was a pleasure to meet you and your wife, and I hope we will see you back in Denmark sometime soon in the future. :asian:
:partyon:
Take care
Claus K. Pedersen

OP
hardheadjarhead

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks Claus,

I'm glad we made a good impression on the students. I certainly appreciate the positive feedback.

The next time I write a review I'll spell your name right! Claus with a "C"...Claus with a "C". I'll repeat it like a mantra.

Again, it was good meeting you. I look forward to our paths crossing again.

Regards,

Steve

Latest Discussions