Is 8 too young for such high praise

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
This weekend, Denmark's 8 year old TKD wonder kid is who trains also a few times a year at Team-X in North Hollywood CA, is in Korea for the Hall Of Fame Ceremony where he is getting a special award. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Frederik-Emil-Olsen-Taekwondo-kid/112267068840819

Most of us have seen some of his videos and there is no doubt the kid has more talent in his pinky toe then most teen and adult sport TKDists have in their entire body.

But he is only 8.

Do you think it is healthy for an 8 year old to get such high recognition?

Having met him several times and seen the way he trains and fights I agree he is amazing, but I think 8 is a bit young (by at least 20 or more years) to be getting Hall Of Fame recognition.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
well, at least he got that under his belt then...
Do we really need to wait until somebody has one foot in the grave before we honor him/her?

Then again, I can see your point.
At 8 the kid probably has not yet grasped the concept of what he is doing, past the technique.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
This weekend, Denmark's 8 year old TKD wonder kid is who trains also a few times a year at Team-X in North Hollywood CA, is in Korea for the Hall Of Fame Ceremony where he is getting a special award. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Frederik-Emil-Olsen-Taekwondo-kid/112267068840819

Most of us have seen some of his videos and there is no doubt the kid has more talent in his pinky toe then most teen and adult sport TKDists have in their entire body.

But he is only 8.

Do you think it is healthy for an 8 year old to get such high recognition?

Absolutely. As someone with an 8 year old son Taekwondoin, it helps to see that children can achieve high recognition if they work hard. The kid dedicates himself to Taekwondo more than 99% of the adults out there, so he should absolutely be recognised.

If the child was a science prodigy and had solved the world's energy problems, he'd get a nobel prize regardless of his age, so why should he not get recognition for his achievement in Taekwondo.

He's not (AFAIK) being entered in the Hall of Fame as a regular member, but receiving a special recognition award. Good on him!

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
What is the award for? Outstanding jr male competitor? I agree if that is the case.

Markku P

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My only concern is that he is too young to do such a serious training. I must admit, I don't know much about his training but it looks very serious.

/Markku P.

PS. But recognition is OK and we need more young role models.

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
My only concern is that he is too young to do such a serious training. I must admit, I don't know much about his training but it looks very serious./Markku P.PS. But recognition is OK and we need more young role models.
Have you seen young gymnasts or swimmers train? How about soccer in brazil? I have met him and he is a good young boy. I would not let any 8yr old I teach spar with him.

Markku P

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Have you seen young gymnasts or swimmers train? How about soccer in brazil? I have met him and he is a good young boy. I would not let any 8yr old I teach spar with him.

Yes, I have seen many gymnastics and I have spoke with them and their parents. I also met many former gymnastics and pretty much same story every time.
When they were their adults (+20 ) They had big problems with old injuries, back problems, knee problems etc.

I know that you have to start serious training at young age but that doesn't mean I like it. In the past I have met Frederik's instructors many time and I believe they know what they are doing.

/Markku P.

itsme123

White Belt
Reaction score
I don't see why not. The kid absolutely earned it! Why hold him back. He could win Olympic gold many times before he is like 30yrs old and be retired by then.

I do have one question though. I saw a few of his fights on youtube. Why is he allow to kick to the head and does not seem to get any penalties for it? Different rules out there vs rules here in USA? I am a bit lost.

OP
M

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes, in the USA we follow "Junior safety rules". Many, Most, All (I don't know) other countries allow full contact for all ages and belts.

When I think "Hall of Fame" even if not inducted into said location, I think of people who have had long and distinguished careers in whatever the sport might be.

Did Tiger Woods get any special awards from the PGA HoF at age 8?

Did Michael Jordan get any special awards from the NBA HoF at age 8?

Did Babe Ruth get any special awards from the MLB HoF at age 8?

How bout Mohammed Ali?

I don't know but even if they did, I don't think they should have. Like I said, there is no disputing that the kid is VERY GOOD. But I think it kinda cheapens the HoF status of others that have given years and years to the sport.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes, in the USA we follow "Junior safety rules". Many, Most, All (I don't know) other countries allow full contact for all ages and belts.

When I think "Hall of Fame" even if not inducted into said location, I think of people who have had long and distinguished careers in whatever the sport might be.

Did Tiger Woods get any special awards from the PGA HoF at age 8?

Did Michael Jordan get any special awards from the NBA HoF at age 8?

Did Babe Ruth get any special awards from the MLB HoF at age 8?

How bout Mohammed Ali?

I don't know but even if they did, I don't think they should have. Like I said, there is no disputing that the kid is VERY GOOD. But I think it kinda cheapens the HoF status of others that have given years and years to the sport.

I suppose all of the above where not THAT special at age 8....
So how can you compare that?

However, I wish the kid a Michael Jordan carrier...

OP
M

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I suppose all of the above where not THAT special at age 8....
So how can you compare that?

However, I wish the kid a Michael Jordan carrier...

I don't know, here is Tiger at age 5 -

Last edited by a moderator:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Probably good for an eight year old to get such high recognition. Good for strutting on the playground. I mean, heck, he's probably almost nine.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score

From Frederick's facebook posts it seems that most of the competitions around Europe allow them. I know he got disqualified a few months back for a head shot because he wasn't used to having to pull them.

This comes back to Junior black belts a bit though. Does it cheapen your black belt if an 8 year old is given a 1st poom (and wears a black belt because the club allows them to)?

That's not to say though that Frederick will become a full "Hall of Famer" (cheapening others who are) and indeed from what I've read that doesn't seem to be the intention. He may be given a special category of "HoF One To Watch", "HoF Youth Member" or "HoF Early Recognition Award Winner" or something like these.

I think it does good for the youth of today to know that you don't have to be an "old wrinkly" who has given a lifetime of service to get recognition. I know my son was impressed and fired up when I told him (he's nowhere near as talented as Frederick, but it was interesting/exciting news to him).

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Wunderkids like him should get recognition... but not adult level awards. Even though prodigies should be encouraged and recognized (i.e. Mozart writing his first composition at 5 years old), they should still be allowed a childhood to it's fullest. Likely this boy does, yet the level of training, the awards, the achievements and ultimately the fame that goes with it will leave him a bit tainted. Will he continue to pursue it as he gets older? Will he still want to after all the accolades, honors when he's 16? How about 28?
I can forsee if he still continues with earnest he'll end up being a MA-movie star. Yet who knows what the future holds.

Many more adults than kids have worked longer and harder to get to where they are at. That a child of 8 be granted a high award such as this I think does cheapen the blood,sweat and tears put in by the adults. When he is at 21 then let him test out and see. There is always more to Martial Arts than just flawlessly executing techniques.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I made this point earlier, but I'll make it again clearer now to respond to your post:

Exactly what award is he getting?
Was unable to find specifics... just a "special HOF award"... in Korea. :idunno: I'm not up on TKD's awards, certs, or other recognitions.
Watching this video (already he has "the best of" ) I can see he's a talented and quick kid.
[yt]HqXaJ-iYWio[/yt]

But it's still.. (to me) two kids duking it out. Better there than in the school yard.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Was unable to find specifics... just a "special HOF award"... in Korea. :idunno:

This is exactly my point though. A lot of people are saying words to the effect of "him entering the Hall of Fame lowers the achievement of those who are recognised for a lifetime's worth of work". The point it, he isn't getting a regular Hall of Fame award/entry, but a special recognition-type one.

Latest Discussions