iPad

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So, now that it's out, anyone get one? I played around with one the other day, seemed interesting. I can't see using it for anything serious, but could web surf and check webmail well enough.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Personally, I see no flash support as a BIG shortcoming. While it's just annoying on a phone, it's a deal breaker on something approximating a netbook/laptop. That means no hulu, no netflix streaming video, no websites using flash... it's annoying enough on my iPhone, but I can't imagine dealing with that on a computer.

No USB support... also a deal breaker on a netbook/laptop type piece of hardware.

basically, it's insulting... a giant iPhone... all the advantages, but also all of the flaws, some of them big flaws.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I see the idea being useful. I look for a more PC-based version in the near future, and if it's tough enough, see it being used in a lot of applications, like for a MDT for motor officers or a quoting tool for estimators. In fact, as I think of it, I've seen a similar idea used by one local service company...

JWLuiza

Black Belt
Reaction score
HTML5 will make this more usable. The people who can make this usable have already bought one and the rest of us will just wait till it becomes less of a cool toy.

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
I see the idea being useful. I look for a more PC-based version in the near future...

Exactly, when I first heard of this, I was expecting a combination monitor/cpu. It would be easy to use on the fly, with my wireless Internet key, then when I get home, plug it into a USB hub with keyboard, mouse and printer.

That's what I do with my netbook. Like Bob says, right now it's a big phone.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
I toyed around with one and it's pretty fun. There should have been a pop out keyboard though. People are treating this as if it's the next coming, there have been tablet PCs for years but the general population only notices when Apple does it. There are way more user friendly and capable Linux and Windows machines that are tablets.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Can it make phone calls?

I thought it was pretty much a big iPhone that you can't make phone calls on and is too big to fit in your pocket.

I'm not excited. It either fits in my pocket or needs to be carried like a book or in a carrying case — and if I'm going to do that, I would just as soon have a full OPEN SYSTEM notebook computer — not an Apple Restricted piece of hardware that only works with as Apple decides I am allowed to use it.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
basically, it's insulting... a giant iPhone... all the advantages, but also all of the flaws, some of them big flaws.

Your comment reminded me of this:

evolution.jpg

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
LOL.

My issue with it right now is lack of either a built in USB port or built in media card reading ability. I can see using it onsite as a photo viewer, but how do I get the photos on it? Wireless is nice, except I don't feel like spending another grand to add wifi to my DSLR.

Haakon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Personally, I see no flash support as a BIG shortcoming. While it's just annoying on a phone, it's a deal breaker on something approximating a netbook/laptop. That means no hulu, no netflix streaming video, no websites using flash... it's annoying enough on my iPhone, but I can't imagine dealing with that on a computer.

No USB support... also a deal breaker on a netbook/laptop type piece of hardware.

That's pretty much what I think too. I like the idea, but I'm more interested in something like the HP Slate than the iPad.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
LOL.

My issue with it right now is lack of either a built in USB port or built in media card reading ability. I can see using it onsite as a photo viewer, but how do I get the photos on it? Wireless is nice, except I don't feel like spending another grand to add wifi to my DSLR.
I checked, and there's a "camera Connect kit" for $29 that basically adds a USB port, or an SDCard reader.
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC531ZM/A

Also it seems it'll sync up with the $70 wireless keyboard.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I could see that as being more effective than a netbook for a photo viewer. I'm processing images on my netbook right now...tiny screen.

The downside to using it onsite would be whether a suitable viewing area can be provided in order to see the screen. I have to raise my patio umbrella in order to see the screen of my laptop or netbook if I am working outside.

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
I checked, and there's a "camera Connect kit" for $29 that basically adds a USB port, or an SDCard reader.
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC531ZM/A

Also it seems it'll sync up with the $70 wireless keyboard.

Seems like it should come with a couple of USB ports. That's not a lot to ask.

What about Internet connectivity? Does it have an ethernet jack? Similarly, I use a 3G wireless stick from Bell away from home with my netbook. Doesn't seem right to have to add an attachment to the thing just so I could wireless.

Haakon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I could see that as being more effective than a netbook for a photo viewer. I'm processing images on my netbook right now...tiny screen.

The downside to using it onsite would be whether a suitable viewing area can be provided in order to see the screen. I have to raise my patio umbrella in order to see the screen of my laptop or netbook if I am working outside.

The iPad has a smaller screen than many, if not most, new netbooks, some have screens up to 12". I looked through several at Frys and didn't see any with a screen smaller than the iPad, there probably are some but not many anymore. It looks like most of them have a 10.1" screen, the iPad is 9.7".

BlueDragon1981

Brown Belt
Reaction score
There is talk of google coming out with one now. There are also plenty that are coming with the Android OS. If someone was smart they would simply offer USB and Flash and make it shiny and pretty with a customized android OS and then the iPad would have no draw to it. Of course the fan's would still go nuts over it. They should name their next item the iBrainwashed.

wushuguy

Purple Belt
Reaction score
this whole iPad business gives those fanatics a new meaning when we hear the following conversation:

"hey Sarah, how are you today?"
"Don't bother me, I'm on the pad!"

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ipad has built in wifi capability. Theres a new version coming out end of the month that has 3G built in too, though it seems locked to AT&T's lame network.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Spent some time at the Apple store tonight playing around with one. For some reason, the one I goofed with had a Hulu button on it, despite Hulu not working with Apple handhelds.

MT, KT, FMAT and the DP all loaded fine, logged into the DP and did some test posting. Editor wasn't the WYSIWYG one, but the basic, and trying to edit text was annoying, but otherwise was ok. Most other sites seemed to work fine, and the screen showed off photos great. So, it's currently in the "maybe" list still.

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Printing from an IPad

Attachments

• $tumblr_l0xedk560n1qzpwi0o1_500.jpg
    $tumblr_l0xedk560n1qzpwi0o1_500.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 223

Latest Discussions