Interesting Video. Aikido vs more realistic attacks...

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I counted 4 entries and he got hit on 2. So a 50% rate of success without getting hit. That's not terrible, but the times he did get hit the punches were much cleaner than desirable. He would benefit from learning to cover and roll better so that the punches which landed would be less likely to be fight enders.

That's what training is for, of course. Hopefully they keep doing this and he will get better and better.
I don't mind taking hits, but I wouldn't have willingly taken a hit to the back of the head or an uppercut with my face going parallel to the ground. I'm sure he'll make corrections in his approach and techniques. If he teaches then he's probably telling his students of when not to do specific techniques because of the dangers of being hit clean.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Usually when you see that, it's because they are using the wrong technique against the wrong attack. If the technique is done properly at the right time, and against the right attack, then you shouldn't have to do any "forcing." An example would be the video of when I took my sparring partner down with one hand and everyone said that it looked too easy and thought that it was more of my sparring partner being clumsy and not the technique actually working. The only reason the technique made it look that way was because it was done at the points of maximum efficiency. Everything from start to finish was done correctly, at the right time, with the right movement,and the right force.

The concepts of many martial arts system is not to use force against force. When you jab at a person's face then all of his force and energy is going forward in a straight light. Force is not being sent left or to the right. Because of this it will take very little energy to move the fist left or right. You can redirect the punch with hard or soft techniques. This is the fundamental mechanics of martial arts regardless of the system.

If you see that someone is forcing a technique then they are either trying to apply the wrong technique to the situation or they are not applying the best technique to a situation. There are many things that can turn the "right" technique into the "wrong" technique. The most common is if you start a technique too early or too late, which often means the practitioner has missed the window of maximum efficiency and is forced to "muscle" the technique. The other common scenario is when you opponent keys in to what you are about to do and changes his or her actions, which in turns makes the initial technique the "wrong" technique. Fighting is fluid so all of these changes happen quickly and the slightest change can be the difference between "super easy technique", to "man I really had to work that technique."

The fact that someone muscles a technique or uses weight does not mean that the technique isn't valid.

He added pressure to his Aiki game. This will pretty much always happen in an unscripted drill like that.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't mind taking hits, but I wouldn't have willingly taken a hit to the back of the head or an uppercut with my face going parallel to the ground. I'm sure he'll make corrections in his approach and techniques. If he teaches then he's probably telling his students of when not to do specific techniques because of the dangers of being hit clean.

I don't think he was willingly taking hits. Exept for that first bit.

By the way trying to wrestle someone who is punching you is pretty hard.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't think he was willingly taking hits. Exept for that first bit.

By the way trying to wrestle someone who is punching you is pretty hard.
All of it's hard lol. Trying to fight with the techniques are that found in Martial arts is always a big challenge. I think I get most of my enjoyment when I finally figure out how to deploy something. Just last week I discovered how to deploy a knife hand while in horse correctly. So I'm all pumped up to use it again in this week's sparring class. See technique at 0:25

This is one of the techniques that I thought would take me forever to figure out. I still have to figure out an exit for it, so this week I'll try the technique that follows it after the form which is different than what follows in the video that I posted. In my lineage, I would still be addressing the guy in front and not turning to hit someone on my flank.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
One honest experiment / demonstration.

I would not put myself being punhed on Youtube. :) But I would do this kind of experiments (light and/or slow) often, if possible.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
One honest experiment / demonstration.

I would not put myself being punhed on Youtube. :) But I would do this kind of experiments (light and/or slow) often, if possible.
It's not bad as long as you follow up with something better. lol. I find that an honest representation of what a person trains is better than a flawless representation.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like those guys on AikidoFlow, but I've a personal problem.

Why is it that I can't convince any of my aikido bretheren, apparently anywhere, that there is a "Reason" to hold your hands up in a decent boxing, or boxing variation guard. Note he starts doing it after he starts catching shots...

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Why is it that I can't convince any of my aikido bretheren, apparently anywhere, that there is a "Reason" to hold your hands up in a decent boxing, or boxing variation guard. Note he starts doing it after he starts catching shots...

Because it doesn't look very Aikidoey.

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
Good video, even with some of the observations which have been made. Glad to see them putting it on the line and pressure testing their skills this way. A fair critique of the results is fine, but kudos to them for doing it in the first place, as most are not, and a second kudos to them for being willing to put it in the public forum and take the criticism that was sure to come.

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score

Because they've never been punched in the face by someone who knows how to punch. It's really that simple.

• "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." (noted philosopher Mike Tyson)

Aikido has some good stuff going for it, as does Japanese Jujutsu, Hapkido, etc. but there is a massive false believe in the ability that practitioners of those arts have to move to the side and snatch a punch out of thin are and then execute some sort of lock or throw afterwards. I've never seen evidence that any of them can pull that off against someone with even the most rudimentary punching skills. It has always been against some sort of lunging punch where the arm is hanging out there. I trained JJJ for a while and even went to some seminars with very noted practitioners of different JJJ styles, and that was consistently what I saw.

Latest Discussions