Wing Chun vs FMA, what's more practical?

bezzerk

White Belt
Reaction score
I watched a FMA demo video where the instructor demonstrated all kinds of paries against attacks
and then he followed up his deflections with pretty complicated moves consisting of different guntings.

To me it look a bit over the top. Instead of directly going for the attackers head/throat he first gunted
the biceps, then the shoulder and so on. He worked his way forward to the really sensitive areas of the body.

When I watched this I thought to myself that wing chun looks way faster and more efficient than this.

Just found the video. What do you think? The stuff looks cool but I really wonder if you can do any of these
attacks in a real fight.

On the other hand I also think that gunting is useful for example if your attacker is too far away then you can
still do some damage by hitting his arm at the right spot.

Why doesn't wing chun include some good guntings from FMA?

The elbow attack at 4:53 looks pretty devastating.

OP
B

bezzerk

White Belt
Reaction score
Just watching another video from the same guy. His stuff looks pretty damn effective and fast.

But what I noticed is that he paries a few times before he had removed the arms of the attacker and then he starts to attack
him.
Does this differ from wing chun?

I once heard that in wing chun you do not block first and the attack but you try to do it simultaneously. Is this generally true?
Or does this not always work and you have to block a few times before being able to strike?

Grange

White Belt
Reaction score
That first video was fun to watch for me. I was training gunting in Modern Arnis tonight and prior to modern arnis we were training some basic Wing Chun drills in Wu Ying Tao. His drill were somewhat different that what we were training so it was fun to see the variations.

Dong xiao hu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The point of trapping is to hit. In wing chun you move the barrier so you can hit. in FMA you destroy the barrier, so they at least will be hesitant to put them out there again.

Sent from my Z797C using Tapatalk

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score

Well there you go. It's a demo. A demo is supposed to show of a bunch of flashy things to attract new students. If a demo showed just practical stuff it wouldn't look as amazing. It would be pretty much, block/parry punch punch ect.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well there you go. It's a demo. A demo is supposed to show of a bunch of flashy things to attract new students. If a demo showed just practical stuff it wouldn't look as amazing. It would be pretty much, block/parry punch punch ect.
Yeah don't worry about explaining this is our old favourite kehcorpz

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
So more questions about which martial art is most effective if you don't train it?

And the style that doesn't have as much cool videos is obviously bad and ineffective ;D. I still remember his "Judo is bad for self defense." When he has never done one second of Judo to be able to say that with any credibility.

I am very positive Adam Okruashvili can defend himself just fine.

D

Dylan9d

All martial arts are effective one way or another.

The Silat that I could find which approaches the thing I do the closest, is the stuff from Maul Mornie.

But it's not unique, because you will see this stuff in alot of other systems, you just need to put some time and effort in before learning all of that.

It all starts with basic training, and alot of practice. So start training.....

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
The point of trapping is to hit. In wing chun you move the barrier so you can hit. in FMA you destroy the barrier, so they at least will be hesitant to put them out there again.

Sent from my Z797C using Tapatalk

Sounds like some of the techniques and thinking in the Hapkido I learned.

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Look, ultimately it is, believe it or not, up to YOU to decide what techniques when, why, how etc. You're afraid that choosing a martial art to learn is some kind of step you cannot retake, and that you will be locked and caged into it forever. No. Learning a style doesn't define your style, and I think you need to get out of that mindset.

Just because you learned one way to do it, what - the - hell - is stopping you from trying it the other way?

E.G. learned and drilled one way to front kick. I didn't really like it that way so I stuck to how I think it is more comfortable and/or effective.

So simple! Seriously! Just go to a free session already! Best of luck! Be water my friend.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Look, ultimately it is, believe it or not, up to YOU to decide what techniques when, why, how etc. You're afraid that choosing a martial art to learn is some kind of step you cannot retake, and that you will be locked and caged into it forever. No. Learning a style doesn't define your style, and I think you need to get out of that mindset.

Just because you learned one way to do it, what - the - hell - is stopping you from trying it the other way?

E.G. learned and drilled one way to front kick. I didn't really like it that way so I stuck to how I think it is more comfortable and/or effective.

So simple! Seriously! Just go to a free session already! Best of luck! Be water my friend.

I have done American Kenpo and then taking up my current art shou shu, which is basically an off shoot of kenpo meant that I had a lot of American Kenpo habits.

Since this style mixes alot of Chinese influence I tend to "bleed American kenpo karate" in many of my stances and the way I strike. Still though it is not the end of the world, I now know more than one method of how to block, Strike ect. Eventually sifu said I will be able to mix them as fight when I understand them better.

Same thing happened with Judo, I added it to my pool of martial arts and within time Jiu Jitsu will be there as well. Fighters change and grow and I am never afraid to let change happen to me. I think the user here whether it be kehcorpz or whoever needs to understand that. If you take whatever style for awhile then come to realize you don't like it or simply want to try something else. By all means go ahead. You are not going to just erase your old knowledge to gain new knowledge.

TieXiongJi

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hi Bezzerk,

You want to know which martial art is more practical? That totally depends on the situation. For which situation would you like to prepare?
Situational Awareness takes care of most Self Defense concerns.
Basic Self Defense classes taught by the local Karate school would take care of the next set of situational concerns.
In depth study of a martial art will teach you to protect yourself in some of the least likely situations; ie. a fight for your life.
You could also carry a weapon around if you are so scared of society that you can't trust anyone not to attack you, too.
I learned all levels of self defense and feel comfortable wherever I go. As you feel out your techniques, feel your way through sparring and hard training, you garner a skill of judging the room which will allow you to escape most dangerous situations without personal harm.

Learning a specific art is tough enough with a personal instructor. Learning through books or online is not quite a Herculean task, but it is definitely more difficult than sticking to finding a quality instructor instead of a single style.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I believe his full name is I.W.D.Y. Bezzerk. ...as in if you keep reading my posts, I Will Drive You "Bezzerk". :p

....Fortunately he seems to have left for the time being. :)

D

Dylan9d

I believe his full name is I.W.D.Y. Bezzerk. ...as in if you keep reading my posts, I Will Drive You "Bezzerk". :p

....Fortunately he seems to have left for the time being. :)

Who knows.....maybe he actually started training :eek: