Interesting E.P. Quote or (things that make you say hummmmmmmmmmm!)

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
"Working with others having varying arm and leg lengths, mannerisms, and methods of executing moves proved fruitful.
It made me aware of the need to learn MOTION thoroughly.
The ability to protect and hit from any angle thrilled me to know end...
This manner of thinking was typical at this point in my life, BUT CHANGED in later years as I matured and was assured of my proficiency."

Ed Parker

Any comments on what you think he meant by the above statement? Should make for some colorful conversation.;)

K

Kenpo Yahoo

Perhaps some context would be of benefit. Where and when did this quote occur (I'm not looking for exacts, just trying to establish a point on the kenpo timeline)?

tarabos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
for one...i think it's something we all become aware of when we work with someone shorter, taller, larger or smaller than we are used to working with. we tend to become accustomed to working with one or two bodies and developing tendencies specific to their height and size and body type, when we should really be developing our movements so that they can be universal to the best of our abilities and to the extent that they can (sometimes different heights and sizes call for different measures than they would for an "average" sized person).

Mr. Parker reffers to himself thinking this way at a certain point in his life/training. to a degree...i believe that "thinking" is the key word here. when we first become aware of the difficulties that may arise when we are not used to an opponent or attacker with a different body type, we begin to think about it and mull it over and try to think about what particular things could be done. however we should be striving to "not think" about it and just be able to have it flow out of us naturally. developing it as an instinct and thus becoming more "confident" with ourselves and our abilites and not letting size or strength dictate what we may be apprehensive of or treat differently.

long story short, the quote to me describes Mr. Parker developing in his own right, and i for one find it both interesting and comforting that someone of his skill felt the same feelings that i did and still do from time to time. in a way it gives you hope and gives you a goal.

geeze...this is tough to do while looking over your shoulder for you boss...:D now that's what i call real skill...

H

headkick

Originally posted by Doc
"Working with others having varying arm and leg lengths, mannerisms, and methods of executing moves proved fruitful.
It made me aware of the need to learn MOTION thoroughly.
The ability to protect and hit from any angle thrilled me to know end...
This manner of thinking was typical at this point in my life, BUT CHANGED in later years as I matured and was assured of my proficiency."

Ed Parker

Any comments on what you think he meant by the above statement? Should make for some colorful conversation.;)

Was that "thirlled me to no end..." ?

Elipses in aquote like that make me think something else was said. So, I don't really know what manner of thinking changed. There are at least 3 choices in the quote provided. It's interesting, though. But since I never had the privilege of knowing Mr. Parker, I won't presume to guess what he meant. I know what it says to me, however.

OP
Doc

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by headkick
Was that "thirlled me to no end..." ?

Elipses in aquote like that make me think something else was said. So, I don't really know what manner of thinking changed. There are at least 3 choices in the quote provided. It's interesting, though. But since I never had the privilege of knowing Mr. Parker, I won't presume to guess what he meant. I know what it says to me, however.

"This knowledge incresed my ability of being victorious on the street." is the rest of the quote."

So essentially your comment is "I don't know what else was said, but even if I did, I wouldn't guess what he meant? So your comment is I have no comment?

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
It would seem that, at one point, he recognized a need, filled the need, became confident that the filling was a good thing through judicious and practical application, accepted it, grew comfortable with it being part of him, and then moved on.

Seems pretty simple to me, but then I, like a good friend of mine says, "Could be wrong". And really wouldn't be surprised if I was.

Dan "I'm comfortable" Farmer

OP
Doc

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by Sigung86
It would seem that, at one point, he recognized a need, filled the need, became confident that the filling was a good thing through judicious and practical application, accepted it, grew comfortable with it being part of him, and then moved on.

Seems pretty simple to me, but then I, like a good friend of mine says, "Could be wrong". And really wouldn't be surprised if I was.

Dan "I'm comfortable" Farmer

The operative phrase is "moved on." And that is why the Parker of old who loved to teach with "motion" didn't move himself the way he was teaching others. He PAMed, Slapchecked, BAMed, and used nerve strikes among other things. Look at the films and tapes, but don't get too comfortable.

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Doc
The operative phrase is "moved on." And that is why the Parker of old who loved to teach with "motion" didn't move himself the way he was teaching others. He PAMed, Slapchecked, BAMed, and used nerve strikes among other things. Look at the films and tapes, but don't get too comfortable.

Good Doctor,

I never get "too" comfortable. The more I see ... The more I see!

The more I see ... The less I know.

Most respectfully submited,

Dan "Well, Maybe not THAT comfortable" Farmer

OP
Doc

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by Sigung86
Good Doctor,

I never get "too" comfortable. The more I see ... The more I see!

The more I see ... The less I know.

Most respectfully submited,

Dan "Well, Maybe not THAT comfortable" Farmer

The interesting thing is the statement was first made in the MID-Seventies, and published in 81.

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
Doc,
You and I have agreed on some things and disagreed on others, I am sure this will always be the case. That you have a lot of knowledge is not in debate, that you are a martial artist of experience is not in debate, that you have material of value/worth is not in debate, that you are respected is not in debate. We do not question that you and Mr. Parker were friends and that you can quote him extensively. You have contributed a lot to the boards, some of it wonderful, some of it not, some of it mixed. I realise that controversy sells and that you have a product to sell. But Doc, at what point does controversy simply become pot stirring? We all know that Mr. Parker did not pass on everything he knows and to some he passed on nothing. We all know that you feel or give the impression that you feel that we are all learning commercialized crap. I, sir, for one am growing quite weary of it. I am not one of those that refuses to see that there is always more to learn, but I too have a business to run. We, in Kenpo, whatever the flavor, all come from the same roots. To see anyone, much less a senior, bashing or giving the impression of bashing on the art, makes us all look bad. I love my art, as you love yours, I do not discredit you or try to. Why, sir, do you incessantly try and negate what we do? My students read this board and I would rather they get more usefull information to stimulate their thought processes and to fuel intelligent questions instead of what has the earmarks of propoganda. I guess what I am asking, sir, is that you continue with the informative and educational posts, as well as the fun ones, and to quit stirring a pot that is already overdone.:asian:

H

headkick

Originally posted by Doc
"This knowledge incresed my ability of being victorious on the street." is the rest of the quote."

So essentially your comment is "I don't know what else was said, but even if I did, I wouldn't guess what he meant? So your comment is I have no comment?

Pretty much, yup. I know what it says to me, which is probably not the same thing it says to you. I wasn't there and didn't know the man.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Take it back to KenpoNet if you want this kind of interaction. Not good, not bad, I just don't want it here.

I am serious about preferring a Forum with sharing, not one-upping the other, or demeaning what they spent a lifetime learning (like me.) Doc, I respect and on some level like and admire you. But I also get tired of the condesending attitude, whether it is intentional or not. YOU DOC have explained your position, it would be condesending of you to do it again ... WE GET IT. But we are just not going to get it from you. Usually I just refuse to respond. This time I am. I am having a really bad day, dealing with a Capital Murder case .. the rest seems somewhat trite and devisive to me.

Take it outside guys!

-Michael

K

Kenpomachine

I can't see anything wrong with the statment that opened the thread.

Btw, I agree with Dan's iterpretation.

jazkiljok

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kenpomachine
I can't see anything wrong with the statment that opened the thread.

Btw, I agree with Dan's iterpretation.

i agree--too, can't find anything wrong with posting a quote like that-- as far as its interpretations as to what it means-- i'm going to pass-- i'm not sure what it's suppose to mean and Ed Parker's quotes can contradict in some cases, leave no conclusions in others and be outright confusing in some other cases. i guess i just made myself a greater heretic than Doc with that one:D

and i don't think Doc's intent is to stir any pot but the one on the shoulders with this-- if it is a done issue for some then just don't pay mind-- but if Doc wants to springboard from this and state some of his views, share some of his history with Mr. Parker etc-- let him do it-- might yield some interesting stuff for those who find his posts insightful (and i'm that side myself more often than not).

peace.

:asian:

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Michael Billings
Take it back to KenpoNet if you want this kind of interaction. Not good, not bad, I just don't want it here. -Michael

I agree!! :asian:

I am having a really bad day, dealing with a Capital Murder case .. the rest seems somewhat trite and devisive to me.

I'm sorry to hear that.

Jazkiljok:
i don't think Doc's intent is to stir any pot

I don't think so either!

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So many angles on Kenpo! They're almost different styles. Help out us non-Kenpoka and start giving them different names so we can tell the players apart!

E

Elfan

Originally posted by arnisador
So many angles on Kenpo! They're almost different styles. Help out us non-Kenpoka and start giving them different names so we can tell the players apart!

-There are 2 kinds of Kenpo, my kind and the wroung kind.

- How many Ed Paker Black belts does it take to change a light bulb? One to change it and 99 to say thats not how Mr. Parker taught them.

My point with those two jokes is to show that while Kenpo is fragmented many people retain an idea of "one true kenpo" or "one right way to do things." Supose when you are inside it you can just sorta get used to it while the lack of formal distinctions or names is probably really confusing for everyone else.

OP
Doc

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by headkick
Pretty much, yup. I know what it says to me, which is probably not the same thing it says to you. I wasn't there and didn't know the man.

Well that's a fair comment in itself. thanks for sharing.

Latest Discussions