Instructors

G

gyaku-zuki queen

I'm a sempai in my Karate Club,

i have my Brown Belt but the 2nd highest ranking student. (small club)

this September will by my 9th year in karate:)

i just pretty much help out teaching the beggininers, and sometimes teach the blue belt we have the kata he needs to eventually learn. (like i said, small club lol )

B

Bigodinho

I am an assistant instructor in our Capoeira group. My cord rank, or belt, is Blue and Red. In our group, this rank is called a Graduado (graduated), but is more commonly referred to as a Monitor. The call us Monitores mainly because, in a sense, we are monitored by our instructors and groomed to become the next batch of instructors (full blue cords in our group). It may generally take four years to move from Blue and Red to a full Blue. I just made my Blue and Red two months ago and I've been training capoeira for 5 years. As a Monitor we are expected to help our instructor with the development of our beginner levels and with the children. We also will teach classes in the absense of our instructor. There are some Monitores who actually teach and maintain their own classes, but that may only come with the approval of our Master and is very rare.

TaiChiTJ

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Sailor said:
I teach Yang Style Tai Chi under the Northern Tum Pai system of Kajukenbo
Would you please tell me a little about the Northern Tum Pai system? I found out a man by the name of Jon Loren initiated its establishment and development within the Kajukenbo system.

Then he and Adriano Emperado developed its contents?
Where did the Tai Chi information come from?
Is it primarily Yang or is Wu tai chi taught also?

Thanks!

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi!

I am a 2nd Dan in Kajukenbo and "Honorary" Black in EPAK under Michael Acord. I am currently studying for my Black under Sifu Ibrao and will be a 2nd generation Ed Parker Student. From 1991-1992, I was an assistant instructor at our dojo. Since then, the school closed because my instructor moved away.

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I spent a fair amount of time as an assistant instructor. Before I transfered colleges taking me away from my dojo. For those of you who don't know I study EPAK.

I began training with my instructor while he was still attatched to the first college I atteneded. Long story short I became addicted and trained as hard as possible. The next school year he opened a "comercial" school where I continued to train with him. By the time I had been promoted to blue belt we had a strong kids class going and I would help out teaching that class. I would work with kids one on one that needed the extra attention or those who just started the class. By the time I had reached green belt I was the primary instructor for the kids class, and helping with the adult classes. I remained the primary instructor for the kids class after I was promoted to 3rd brown and would teach the adult class on the occasion the instructor couldnt make it.

I enjoyed teaching, and hope to have a school of my own some day.

Sailor

White Belt
Reaction score
TaiChiTJ said:
Would you please tell me a little about the Northern Tum Pai system? I found out a man by the name of Jon Loren initiated its establishment and development within the Kajukenbo system.

Then he and Adriano Emperado developed its contents?
Where did the Tai Chi information come from?
Is it primarily Yang or is Wu tai chi taught also?

Thanks!
Hope this answers some of you questions on Tum Pai, the followinf is from GM Loren's school pamphlet

Tum Pai is simply the internal side of Kajukenbo. The internal structure is based on Tai Chi translated into Kajukenbo technique as a soft style, delivering the Kajukenbo thump!

Tum Pai, meaning Central Way, adds Chin-na grappling, its own brand of chi sau, and leg trapping.

The original Tum Pai was started by Sijo, Grandmaster Dacascos, and Grandmaster Al Dela Cruz. Later this became Chuan-fa and the name Tum Pai went into limbo. In late 1974 while staying with Sijo and his family I showed him what I had compiled from my years in internal training, and had formatted it into Kajukenbo. This was compiled from my internal training in Malaysia, China, and training under Professor Joseph Clarke in Kajukenbo. At that time I got permission to call this work Tum Pai. It took another ten years (1984) to get it certified as the soft-style branch in Kajukenbo. Since then it has evolved ten-fold into what it is today - 20 years later!

The Tai Chi forms taught in Tum Pai are - in progressive order are the traditional Yang style, Ng style, Wu style, and Chen style. Tum Pai structure is based on all of these, then combined with my earlier training to produce the Tum Pai form, based the best I could on the traditional Kajukenbo form. For instance the concentration, which originally came from Augung Ramos, was developed 13 concentration forms. I learned these under Professor Clarke and Augung Ramos. Later I compiled all of them into 3 concentrations under soft style guidelines. For a complete history, our website will be out to the public within a month.

GM Jon A. Loren

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I am a junior instructor at Livingston Academy, I am a third degree yellow belt, witch is equivilant to blue belt in TKD. What I do is i open class, wile my sensei prepairs and I also run everyone through streches and a basic work out. until sensei is ready to take over. Then when he is in charge he preforms the techniques on me first and then to others....if needed. Being a junior instructor I am privalaged to work with my sensei outside of regular class time. Also I have seniority over most students. i get the respect that i deserve, and I show respect to all in my class at the time, and I have recived the title Sempie(SP)

R

rainbows

I'm currently a trainee instructor in my TKD club. I don't take full classes yet, but I take warmups and assist in teaching junior grades patterns. I'll be able to take full classes from next week onwards, once I pass my pretest for black belt on Sunday.

kempo108

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
i have been studying shaolin kempo karate for 21 years. i am currently a 6th degree black belt under Thomas Ingargiola and Kimo Ferreira. i teach full time in west babylon, ny.

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sin said:
Anyone around here close or in Louisville? And is instructing

If you mean Louisville, KY (there's a Louisville, CO too and may be others :)) then I'm here.

Check my website @ http://impactacademy.com for more information.

I'll be out of town from 3/11 - 3/19 but if you want to come in tonight or after I get back, that'd be cool.

Mike

Latest Discussions