Had to give it its own thread.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The more I read this, the more I like it.

http://uechi-ryu.com/oldsite/evolution_of_martial_arts_politi.htm

Many acquaintances who are heavily involved in the martial arts, in my opinion, are not well rounded. In fact, they tend to be very narrow in defining their self concept. They tend to define themselves as martial artists, and little else. Their obsession with the arts has limited their self concept. Instead of seeing the martial arts as a lens that all else in life is reflected through, they look at the arts as an end. They tend to define the martial arts as a noun rather than an adjective or adverb. And so, their self concept is narrowly defined as not much more than martial artist.

Such narrowness of self concept results in an unusual amount of reliance on the martial arts. Martial arts alone must shoulder the burden of defining a life. This reliance begets unhealthy need, as opposed to choice. The karateka or judoka needs to be a great martial artist rather than choose to be a great martial artist. This need sets the martial artist up for a lifetime of searching to be whole, trying to fill the many different gaps of human frailty with only one thing--the martial arts.

Therein lies that which gives form to and nurtures politics in the martial arts. The martial artist NEEDS to identify themselves and hence, be identified as a great martial artist. With such a consuming need, this individual will go far beyond normal human idiosyncracy in order to be affirmed. No wonder that rank, as one very obvious indicator of achievement, is so important to this individual. Rank can become so important, the needy martial artist will breach their honor in order to get rank and buy it at extravagant cost if it’s offered for sale. Others jump to and or dishonestly claim lineages that would identify them with true masters of the arts. We all know the stories of the Shodan or Nidan who climbs on a plane, trains for a couple of weeks and comes back with a Godan or Rokudan--some $1,000 poorer--claiming as a lifelong teacher an individual with which they spent ten or twelve hours. It is most pitiful and a waste that such an individual has narrowly defined themselves and painted themselves into a corner of mandatory ego-building based on a need to affirm their life.

So, some of the early Western practitioners were obsessed with their art. They were narrowly defined individuals who needed to achieve higher and higher rank and be associated with masters of their art. They found willing, financially ambitious teachers who sold them rank and set up a pyramid scheme otherwise referred to as being the USA representative for a Ryu Ha. They became Yondans in less than a year. They had an insatiable need for higher rank and higher visibility. They lied, cheated and bought the trappings of power, without realizing the real power of the martial arts themselves. Some of these early Western practitioners offered a fertile garden for martial arts politics.
Thoughts?

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's interesting stuff, Tom. What I find most peculiar is that one would attempt to identify themselves as a martial artist, presumably born out of their love for the arts, yet bastardize the process by puchasing rather than earning. It just doesn't add up for me. I can't identify with this.

Remember the thread about the geeks? I wonder if maybe this type of behaviour isn't characteristic of those types...the ones with something to prove. Kind of an overcompensation. But wouldn't it just chew away at your concience, knowing that you couldn't back up your claimed 'qualifications'? As I said - I cannnot identify with this type of behaviour. It's just weak and silly.

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks Flat...happy b-day by the way......

I like what this guy has to say. In the "grand scheme" of things, how important is the MA in your life anyway?? Is it worth making enemies, sacrificing your integrity, honor and "self"? I mean come on even thinking of fighting over whos master, art, instructor etc is better???!!! Some things I have seen and heard are plain sad. Take some of that energy and become a volunteer fireman, work in a food pantry or something.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Tgace said:
Thanks Flat...happy b-day by the way......

I like what this guy has to say. In the "grand scheme" of things, how important is the MA in your life anyway?? Is it worth making enemies, sacrificing your integrity, honor and "self"? I mean come on even thinking of fighting over whos master, art, instructor etc is better???!!! Some things I have seen and heard are plain sad. Take some of that energy and become a volunteer fireman, work in a food pantry or something.
Agreed. And thank you. I'll be enjoying Canadian Beer this evening. And barbecue.

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tgace I really enjoyed this. I read the whole article and responded in the leadership thread. Thanks for posting this!

MJ :)

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well said.
A past teacher of mine once told me "The arts are my life, but not my livelihood." I think this is part of the key to avoiding the above pitfalls, but it still leaves one open to a tremendous ego investment.
I know that for me the politics and attitudes on all fronts have become so stifling that I have essentially quit teaching.

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's really too bad that there are so many people out there as described in your terrific article. I guess their neediness exceeds their self-esteem. Good post.

Happy Birthday Flatlander! :partyon: [I guess I need to get around to all the boards all the time.] KT

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'd like to respond, but am too busy being absorbed in my own self-aggrandizement. I'll get back to you after promoting myself to 20th degree black, and conquering Europe, Africa, and the "Free" world. :uhyeah:

D.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kembudo-Kai Kempoka said:
I'd like to respond, but am too busy being absorbed in my own self-aggrandizement. I'll get back to you after promoting myself to 20th degree black, and conquering Europe, Africa, and the "Free" world. :uhyeah:

D.
Oh You.......

I like the point about using MA as a tool to view the world and NOT a by which the world views you.

Consider the "philosophy" training most MA recieve - no grander or headier than the good homespun wisdom your parents/grandparents/teachers pass on to you, yet many a martial artist will talk about the philosophy of MA as if there is only one code, one way and one view. Taoists, Confucionists, Buddhists and I imagine some other sects of Eastern philo/theoligical disciplines use the Yin/Yang symbol but to each it is specifically applied differently. Which way are we referring to when we use it as MA?

Think about the percentage breakdown thread I started too. What are you trying to get from your training? Are you really getting it when you look at the percentage of each class, each belt rank and the entire training system devotes to different parts of training?

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
flatlander said:
What I find most peculiar is that one would attempt to identify themselves as a martial artist, presumably born out of their love for the arts, yet bastardize the process by puchasing rather than earning. It just doesn't add up for me. I can't identify with this.

There is a term I have heard, "second rater" coined by the controversial philosopher and writer Ayn Rand. It basically means someone who thinks more about what others think of them, rather than what they think about themselves.

Instead of placing the most importance on the guy staring back from the mirror, they place importance on what others think of them. They can know in their hearts that they are frauds as long as others think they are fantastic.

Have you heard someone say that even if everyone else thinks that what they are doing is wrong, they will still do something if they know it is the right thing to do? Second raters are the opposite end of that. They will do what they know to be evil because others will think better of them.

The person of charecter does not care what other people think of them if they know in their own heart that what they are doding is wrong. You can't escape the guy looking back at you from the mirror every morining.

Not caring what others think of you, good or bad, is the first step towards freedom from being controlled by others.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Along this vein...

A small life dedicated to a great cause, becomes great. The greatest cause I can imagine to participate in is the driving of development in human consciousness (thinking people cover the earth, but the earth is not covered by thinking people).

A personal hero of mine in Yogic/Philosophical thinking is a guy named Paul Brunton. Studied a lot; wrote a lot; influenced a lot of thinkers, but refused to belong to an established group, believing the true path of self-development is a solitary one. Wouldn't let the last of his writings out for publishing until after his death, because he didn't want to be pestered with people trying to make a religion out of his ideas, meant to free the mind from the need for dogmatic/ritualistic/seperatist approaches to union with the divine. Very different path (greatness in solitude) then the common path of most martial addicts (aggrandizement in public).

I think self-examination of motives is prerequisite to understanding ones own place in this schema. I started MA to defend myself, stayed with it cuz I loved it. I've had opportunities to expand into minor celebrity, but sabotaged them because my heart wasn't in it. I don't much care about rank & title, but thrive off of the exchange of ideas, the comaraderie, jovial exchanges, etc. As I age, I'm more interested in establising financial estate then being a can-o-whoop-****, and don't ever expect to get rich in the MA. That essentially leaves me to pursue my interests as a hobbyist, hoping to collect some cool pearls along the way, and maybe even pass them on to a small band of younger hobbyists before I go. My attempt at immortality? Maybe. But since it's all really someting someone else invented anyways, it's more likely for the fun.

Makes unidentified dings on the rep points hard to take, not because someone disagreed with a post I made, but because they robbed me of the chance for avocational discourse about my favorite hobby...the martial arts...the reason this website exists...by not commenting on why they disagreed, or offering an alternative viewpoint that might make for interesting conversation.

Dr. Dave

O

OC Kid

I know a person who started in the M/A at a young age. They achieved their black belt at 15 ( A first and last for this system). But that is basically where there life ended. He went on to compete in tournaments won a lot of trouphies, but accomplished nothing else in his life. He used to go out and lok for fights pick them beat some poor guy up who didnt call him Sensei (even inna bar) he went in and out of jail as a adult couldnt even afford a car walked everywhere. Hooked up with some woman with about 5-6 kids who was on welfare and they lived off her wellfare. He finally opened up his own school and attracts people much like himself. Was seen smoking pot outside his school with some of his students. As a reult he lost almost all of his kids class.

I talked to someone recently who told me he has turned his life around finally. I hope so.

Latest Discussions