Instructors

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Who all here is an instructor, assistant instructor, instructor's aide etc...

Let us know who you are, what art you study, your rank, and what your duties at the school entail. Maybe a little bio about your training history as well would be nice.

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rob Broad said:
Who all here is an instructor, assistant instructor, instructor's aide etc...

Let us know who you are, what art you study, your rank, and what your duties at the school entail. Maybe a little bio about your training history as well would be nice.
Hi Guys,
Most of you who have been around for the last couple of months know this already, but here goes. My name is MJ, and I am an intermediate student of Kenpo karate. I recently (about a week ago) became a first degree black belt. I've been studying for five years very consistently, and I am an instructor at my school, where I teach and learn alongside many wonderful adult students. Aside from being a parent, it is one of the most rewarding things that I do! :)

Rob, since you are responsible for being my new MT enabler will you please share a little bit about yourself?

Thanks,
MJ :asian:

M

Mark Weiser

I have 2nd Dan in Dragon Kenpo and currently studying for black in Five Animal Kenpo and Jun Bao Wu Shu.

I teach at a local community center.

I will be a 2nd Generation Black belt under SGM Parker when I obtain Blackbelt from James Ibrao. I find this very exciting since I could not train directly with SGM Parker.

Mark E. Weiser

OP
Rob Broad

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I started off in Tracy's Kenpo back in 1981 on my 13th birthday. I stayed in the Tracy system up to 4th Black. Around 2nd Black(1988) I started exploring EPAK and have been active in it ever since. I have also studied some Kara Ho Kenpo, Matsubayashi Ryu Shorin Ryu, Ju Jitsu, ITF Tae Kwon Do, and have been developing a little skill in Modern Arnis for the last few years.

I have been an instructing since I started, I had a deal with the school owner that I would teach rolls and falls to all beginers in lieu of my lessons. By the end of my second year at the school I was an assistant instructor and responsible for beginner children and adult classes. In Jan 2003 my original instructor presented me with a certificate for my 5th Degree Black Belt. His requirements for 5th degree were pretty lose, 1 published work, and service to the art.

I have 23 yrs in the Kenpo systems and still love every second of it. I find myself constantly going back into material learned in the past and finding new treasures. I love teaching, and would love to own and operate a full time school, but that will have to wait until I can move to a city more suited to that endeavor.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I am a 4th Dan Instructor in Tae Kwon Do Chung Do Kwan. I started teaching as an assistant in my area while going to college full time because the Head Instructor was unable to be there due to work commitments. I was asked to teach by my Grandmaster. After testing 4th Dan, I took over as regular Head Instructor.
Interestingly, with few exceptions all the students in that were part of class when I first taught are gone. All my students are not my original students.

T

TCJitsu

I began Judo/Jujitsu in 1980 and I am now the one of the Lead Law Enforcement Defensive Tactics Instructor Trainers for the State of Ohio at the Attorney General's Office at OPOTA. I teach criminal justice and run a full-time academy with 300+ students. Learn more on my website http://www.shawnchitwood.com

Glad to be here.

O

OC Kid

I started in a Japanese ssytem and achieved shodan, I then moved and started training in american kick boxing and american kempo for 5 years , I also trained in epak for about 5 years, I also trained in Muay Thai, I am currently ranked 5th degree. I teach at a rec center and out of my home.

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have been interested in Martial Arts since I was very young and I started off in Judo when I was 10 because my mum thought it would help me defend myself against bullies but it didn't as I only picked up a couple of techniques.
It was such a big class so it was hard to learn anything because I didn't always have the instructor's full attention.
Because I had always been shy I was always too afraid and intimidated to go a long to a Martial Arts class and begin learning. So I tried to teach myself from books, and knowing this my sister had a friend (a friend's boyfriend) who was a Brown belt in Lau Gar Kung Fu who taught me some basic kicks and punches but this was informal and he didn't even charge as I guess he felt he was doing a favour for my sister. I was about 13/14 at the time and in no time I became pretty flexible but what I learnt wasn't much good as I couldn't apply it for real. I lost touch with him so I never completed my training with him so I tried to fill the gaps again with books on various Martial Arts and most specifically Kung Fu and Bruce Lee.
It became apparent that what I had learnt I could only use to entertain people at school and would never work for real as I didn't really have a good grasp of techniques. I felt like a joke compared with people who had been studying Martial Arts for years and who were blackbelts by the time they were 12.
One day frustrated at myself I decided to seek out potential Martial Arts classes. I was mainly looking for a good Kung fu class. I was 21 at the time and very shy but very determined! I went to a Aikido class after speaking to the instructor on the phone. I got to the Leisure centre early and waited for the instructor and students to show up, and when they did in their uniforms, I just felt so nervous I left immediately feeling really dissapointed in myself then again I found another class, a Tang soo do class as I thought that was the nearest Martial Art to Kung Fu I could find. I rang the instructor and he told me about it and I decided to go along but again as soon as I got inside the leisure centre I began to feel uneasy seeing all these people in their uniforms. Feeling like again I had failed I was ready to give up when I spotted this poster on the wall for Kung Fu. I was so curious I rang up and I spoke to the assistant instructor who sounded very friendly, told me about the style and what they do. I felt so happy that atlast I had found what I was looking for. I got to the class really early where the instructor was already waiting.
I had phoned twice to double check and get directions to make sure I was going to the right place. Well I got there and I was in awe, I really enjoyed my first class and have enjoyed it ever since and that was 6 years ago. I am now a Yellow Sash in Shaolin Long Fist of which there is about 2 or 3 more levels til black. I am continuing to enjoy what I despite other people who think Kung Fu isn't a serious Martial Art compared with Taekwondo. No offence to anyone who practices Taekwondo but we should all be respectful of each other's Art.

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
well I am the head Instructor at my school and the assistant instuctor at my instructors school. The arts I teach are Ryukyu Kempo, Kyusho Jitsu, Kiai Jitsu, Jodoryu Jujitsu, and Aikijujitsu. I have been in the Martial Arts for about 10 years now. I have blackbelts in all the arts mentioned as well as Shotokan Karate, and Gung-Fu. I am affiliated with DKI and first generation Jodoryu Jujitsu, 2nd generation Kiai Jitsu, and 3rd generation Modern Arnis. I just started studying Modern Arnis.

PPKO

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
Being a senior grade now I sometimes have to take the class for warmups and occasionally help the beginners, and drilling lower grades through forms.
I enjoy one on on instruction but teaching a whole class just seems so daunting. So I'm not really sure I see myself teaching unless its privately and very small classes.

Kenpo Mama

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I study American Kenpo and have done so with an almost obsessive consistency for 5 years. (5 1/2 if you count the hours i spent watching my son learn the basics and techs in his little dragons class before i got completely hooked). I am a first degree black belt (June 2003 - first one in the school) now working diligently toward my 2nd. I have been an instructor since December 2002 and had been assisting in classes before then. I teach adults and childrens classes. I have just recently moved to a bigger school and am getting used to the new digs, not sure if there is a need for any more instructors there. But, i am always available for assistance to anyone that requires it.

I also organize and teach women and teen self defense and awareness classes at local schools, town recreation programs, libraries, health & fitness clubs and community, church and civic organizations. This has grown tremendously over the past two years and has become a real joy to me. (I've discussed this in other threads). I teach cardio kickboxing and power kickboxing, i am a certified (200 RYT) yoga instructor (3 1/2 years). SO basically my entire day is spent on the mat (be it yoga or karate - both teaching and learning).

Currently i am studying to take the ACMA (American Council on Martial Arts) Instructor Certification through the Cooper Institute. Just about finished up with that. Well enough about me.... next.

Donna :asian:

Bammx2

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I am a country boy teaching in the UK..................
icon10.gif

I have a 1st dan in shotokan,
1st dan in shorinryu, and over 30 yrs of expierience of all sorts of goodies added in
icon12.gif

I was on a team way back when that consisted of approxamately 10 people that came from several different backgrounds and that made for one heck of a training session!
I teach freestyle kickboxing in the UK as well as self-defense seminars for various groups and organisations and a MMA class as well......

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well I'm Terry as you can tell started off with Judo and Karate 17 yrs. switched to TKD under Gin Kim in California currently a 3rd Dan TKD own and operate my own school. Married and I have three of the most wonderful childern a man could ask for,every member is involved in MA since birth, ex-high school teacher, wife still teaches. We try to bestill the value of MA since I believe whole harted in this aspect. Our motto is a (family that kicks together stays toghether) silly but true. GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I trained like 6 days a week from '95 - '98, and earned 1st Dan in EPAK. Iin my old school am considered a certified instructor....though not certified by anything but my instructors to be able to teach and wear the little patch that says INSTRUCTOR on it :rolleyes: . While there I taught everything, from just parts of the classes to running the show, and anyone but adults, unless we were short in class and the instuctor needed some help to make sure class didn't go over. The only reason I didn't teach the adults is cause I was only 16 and 17 at the time and some of them had issues being taught by someone young. I went to college and then moved. In about February I think, I joined a new school. At my new school I am in the instructor classes though am not teaching yet cause the style is one of the EPAK off shoots so I need to learn more on how they do stuff before I can teach it to someone else. I've moved through like 3 belts in about 5 months, so I expect that I will out there assisting and leading as they see fit once I get up to about their 1st or 2nd brown material.

Sailor

White Belt
Reaction score
I teach Yang Style Tai Chi under the Northern Tum Pai system of Kajukenbo

T

TCJitsu

well I am the head Instructor at my school and the assistant instuctor at my instructors school. The arts I teach are Ryukyu Kempo, Kyusho Jitsu, Kiai Jitsu, Jodoryu Jujitsu, and Aikijujitsu. I have been in the Martial Arts for about 10 years now. I have blackbelts in all the arts mentioned as well as Shotokan Karate, and Gung-Fu. I am affiliated with DKI and first generation Jodoryu Jujitsu, 2nd generation Kiai Jitsu, and 3rd generation Modern Arnis. I just started studying Modern Arnis.

PPKO
Let me get this straight.... you have 7 Black Belts in 10 years of study? I must be reading something wrong. Please explain.

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I began in Karate, Gymnastics, and TKD. I did Submission grappling for about 2 years, and Then started Aikijutsu, Jujutsu, and Taijutsu about 2 years ago. I currently train a tiny group of people in Jujutsu, in which I hold a Shodan.

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
TCJitsu said:
Let me get this straight.... you have 7 Black Belts in 10 years of study? I must be reading something wrong. Please explain.
Well I started out in Aikijujitsu, Shin Gi Tai Jujitsu, Shotokan, and Gung-Fu (these were all offered in my first school) I attained my black belt in all but Shin Gi Tai in 4 years (3years in Aiki). I continued to Train with my first instructor until he stopped teaching then found my current instructor a lot of what I learned in the other arts has helped me go through the rankings faster as the only things I trully had to learn was some new kata, better break downs, and more in depth study of the pressure points. Ryukyu Kempo/Kyusho Jitsu go together. Jodoryu Jujitsu is by itself (I had already had a jujitsu background), Kiai Jitsu is by itself.

Best Regards,

PPKO

Latest Discussions