The cane as a weapon

M

Mark Weiser

I have received info from Canemasters and it looks great. I for one would and plan on offering this to the elderly and handicapped soon.

Ronin Moose

Blue Belt
Reaction score
There's another post today with the same question, more or less. I've been practicing with a cane and the program from CaneMasters, and have attended two seminars put on locally by certified instructors (local sensei from two dojos here). I really like it as a weapon, and plan to continue working with it. GM Mark Shuey, Sr. (CaneMasters) produces a quality cane, and a very comprehensive training program also.

Best regards - hope that helps..............

-Garry

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
Very interesting and a very practical weapon. Its great if you you're mature in years and you have a cane. But I feel because I'm young I might look a bit silly carrying a cane with me at night unless I had a leg injury, but if that were the case and I were attacked it would come in handy. The older umbrellas have the same shape as the cane with the round hook, unlike the newer ones that a totally straight. I could see myself using an umbrella as a defensive weapon.

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Any school or system that includes impact weapons can also help here.

I've been studyuing the filipino martial arts systems for many years now, and you can easily substitue acane for the rattan stick. In fact for me it helped to open my mind up even more exploring the use of the crook. (Granted some of the drills in the FMA don't work as good with a cane, how many of the techniques do.)

Be prepared to pay big bucks for the Cane Masters canes though. Good quality and workmanship, good product, but big bucks. For normal training in the dojo you can get cheaper canes at the local pharmacy. Just get one with a wide crook.

Mark

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Tony said:
Very interesting and a very practical weapon. Its great if you you're mature in years and you have a cane. But I feel because I'm young I might look a bit silly carrying a cane with me at night unless I had a leg injury, but if that were the case and I were attacked it would come in handy. The older umbrellas have the same shape as the cane with the round hook, unlike the newer ones that a totally straight. I could see myself using an umbrella as a defensive weapon.

Tony good point.

Some of the adds for Cane Masters talk about it being legal to carry around with you. However you right about the public preception if you don't look like you need the cane. In a self defense situation and you actually used the cane to cause harm to someone than expect the opposing attorney to make a big deal with why your carring a cane when you had no physical need for one. And that you beat his innocent client to a bloody pulp with it, or wrecked his arm, leg, whatever.

I believe in using any and everything at my disposal, cane, walking stick, umbrella, flash light, etc. etc. and use these in my training. each weapon has different characteristics to it. The umbrella wiht a hook isn't the same as a cane with a hook.

Mark

Bod

Purple Belt
Reaction score
And be careful about the meaning of legal. Where I live carrying a cane for use as a weapon is illegal. In fact carrying anything for se as a weapon is illegal.

If the cane has been designed as a weapon, then, even if you don't intend to use it as a weapon, it is illegal.

Know your local laws.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Panther Productins has a couple of tapes with Farbor Azhata (sp?) IMHO more techniques for your bucks. AWMA sells a decent cane to play with and get used to working it for cheap.

As far as a "legal" weapon, when you modify a cane with points and ridges I think you have a weapon.

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
"As far as a "legal" weapon, when you modify a cane with points and ridges I think you have a weapon." posted by The Kai

I have to agree here.

I use different walking sticks and canes when I practice just to get use to using them.

"Panther Productins has a couple of tapes with Farbor Azhata (sp?) IMHO more techniques for your bucks. AWMA sells a decent cane to play with and get used to working it for cheap." posted by Then Kai

I bought the advanced tape some years back it was pretty good. I got a kick out of the slow motion squences "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAhhhhhhhhhhHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH"

I'm not sure but I thought CaneMasters covered different techniques off of grab and such that I don't remember the Panter tapes covering.

mark

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Maybe they should have turned the volume down on thjat one!! Heyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!Ayeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maltair

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My Sifu is going thru the Gojo shori system. I've worked it a little bit, seams rather affective. One of the points he makes about learning the cane is it is the only weapon you can take on an airplane.

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This isn't really true.

While you can "technically" caring a walking cane or a stick on a airplane, I tired this once pre 9/11. And I was questioned by the flight attendents getting on the plane why I needed a cane. Clearly I didn't need one and I was asked both going to the destination and coming back.

Now post 9/11 I think that it would be more suspisous to have one and not look like you really needed it.

Also think about it, could you really use a cane on the airplane? Or why go through the trouble caring a cane with you on a trip? If your not going to walk with it all of the time, then you are better off checking your knife or whatever and carring that after you get off the plane.

These types of weapons are great for self defense and for additional training, I'm just saying don't believe all of the marketing hype to try and convince you to start training with the weapon in the first place.

Mark

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Maybe it's a plane with lots of room?? New airline commercial "enough headroomm to swing a cane".

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Zujitsuka said:
Hey guys, do any of you have any experience with either of these cane as a weapon systems listed below? Please share your experiences. Thank you in advance.

http://www.canemasters.com/

http://www.gojushorei.com/weapons.htm
You know, I looked through these sites. I don't think that there is anything there that you couldn't learn in any FMA. In fact, I think that you would recieve a much more rounded program from FMA instruction. That said, The one site showed a cane technique done by a 'little person'. That was interesting. I hadn't considered that before. Their size would demand a score of different technique pespective shifts. Got me thinking.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have used a cane for years to walk with. Do I need one, NO but it is a weapon at and in my hand if I need one.
I do not buy canes I go into the woods and cut my own. That way I have something that fits my hand and is shaped the way i want it. It is also much cheaper and if I lose it or break it I know where I can find more.

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
flatlander said:
You know, I looked through these sites. I don't think that there is anything there that you couldn't learn in any FMA. In fact, I think that you would recieve a much more rounded program from FMA instruction. That said, The one site showed a cane technique done by a 'little person'. That was interesting. I hadn't considered that before. Their size would demand a score of different technique pespective shifts. Got me thinking.

Flatlander

I totally agree with you here. If you study the cane then that is where you probalby will stay with your thinking, I have a cane and I hit them like this, or hook them like that etc. etc.

However with the FMA (at least how I teach, and I think many others do the same) you teach the angle of the strike or what type of strike etc. etc. with a multitude of different things so that you see the commonality between them and recognize the differences. So with a tennis raquet, walking stick, rolled up magazine (hey these are generally on every airplane, a magazine that is) wrench, bolo, rattan stick, mag lite etc. etc. I can do these type of things. So if a cane is handy then I use it, a flashlight I'll take it, walking stick no problem, raquet ball raquet OK, etc. etc. whatever is in reach I'll use if needed and not be dependant on one type of stick (a normal walking cane).

Mark

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No pics but i'll try to get some ( wait a week , I'm slow)
Wood, hmmmmmmm :idunno: , oak, hickory, elm, Lemon (if and when I can get someone to give me some), walnut and few light woods but they tend to break after a few years of my playing with them.
Some are decorated some just as I cut them. I have burned, carved and used a dremial (sp) on them. It depends on if I see something or if the mood hits me. Some of the non decorated ones where my favorites. I have given many away over the years and only have a few now that I keep as my walking sticks or canes.

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
tshadowchaser said:
I have used a cane for years to walk with. Do I need one, NO but it is a weapon at and in my hand if I need one.
I do not buy canes I go into the woods and cut my own. That way I have something that fits my hand and is shaped the way i want it. It is also much cheaper and if I lose it or break it I know where I can find more.

I agree this is pretty cool. I bought some walking sticks/staff a couple fo years ago from a guy at a middle earth (type) festival. This guy made this hand worked stick and the had a real natural feel and look to it. I had polans that when we move out to our property and build our house that IU would try my hand at making some sticks/staffs like that as well. Just to try it out.

On a side note a guy at work is researching how to make Bows and Arrows the way the indians did. Quite a job, extremely interesting and time consuming.

mark

Latest Discussions