Injured and testing Thurs. HELP!!

OP
C

CF'er

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well, todays the day. My leg is feeling a little better today. I took some ibuprofen this AM (totally my OWN idea) and will take more this evening. I will take it easy today and see how it goes.

My hubby has got the form down.... pray that it stays in his head once he walks through the doors. He tends to get performance anxiety.

Thanks for all your support.... I will update when I can and let you know what happens.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, todays the day. My leg is feeling a little better today. I took some ibuprofen this AM (totally my OWN idea) and will take more this evening. I will take it easy today and see how it goes.

My hubby has got the form down.... pray that it stays in his head once he walks through the doors. He tends to get performance anxiety.

Thanks for all your support.... I will update when I can and let you know what happens.

Good luck and I am sure that you guy's will do fine.

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yea let us all kow what happens, I know we are all secretly in two minds here, between hoping you didn't test and didn't make the injury worse, and hoping the examiner let you work round it and you passed but didn't make it worse.

We're itching to find out so let us know!

OP
C

CF'er

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well, we went to testing last night and when I asked my instructor what he wanted me to do regarding my leg his reply was, "what I do every day." (He has a bad hip.) I said, "suck it up and deal with it?" His response was yes.

So, I warmed up well and tested. I didn't do my front kicks on the right side full out but I did them as best I could. I didn't think I had much choice. I did ok on all of it though, I think we all did. I'll know next week though.

So...... I don't know what else to say. I guess it's the MA's get used to it.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't mean to badtalk your instructor - but I have a real problem with "suck it up and deal with it" in regards to this level of injury. You get a bruise - sure, suck it up - but if it's something of greater magnitude, I have a real problem with that attitude - because it leads to lifelong injury and pain. "No pain no gain" has long since been disproven. How'd he injure his hip, anyway?

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have to agree with Kacey here. It's one thing to push through "achey" muscles or being tired, brusing etc. But pulled muscles, damaged joints, etc....that's a whole other beast entirely.

Peace,
Erik

OP
C

CF'er

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I think it's something he was born with and he needs a hip replacement just too stubborn to get one or it's just not bad enough yet.
I didn't like the answer I got but I didn't want to make a scene. He had one of his mentors also judging so I don't know if that had anything to do with it or not. As I said, I did test but I didn't over-do it at all. We'll see who graded me and how I did.
It is a self diagnosed injury and I don't know if I had gone to the Dr if that would have made any difference. When I initially called him and told him about the injury he asked me when and how I did it and replied that he didn't notice and I didn't say anything at the time. Well, I didn't want to be whining in class and I just stopped kicking etc till class was over. It was near the end anyway. When it happened I almost fell on the floor.

Well, at least I know from now on what to do in such cases..... or do I?

For you instructors out there.... how would you have treated your student? What could I or should I have done in this instance to get a different outcome?

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I also have to agree with Kacey on this. I have a physically disabilty (like your instructor) & I've been told I'll probably need a hip replacement at some point as well. (I'm nowhere near that place, now). You need to listen to your body. When I was a much younger man, I lived by "suck it up & deal". But after a few times of not being able to train for months after not resting an injury, being "tough" (but not able to train) wasn't worth the trade off.

I pulled my calf muscle & shoulder muscles at my 3rd Dan test on March 15th. While I've taught 4 times a week since then, I didn't start training again until this week. Chiropractor visits & therapy have been a huge part of my life for nearly 2 months. Old age has taught me a lot. When I noticed that if a pro athelete pulls a muscle & is out for a month, maybe I needed to pay attention to my body, too.

I'm not rippin' your instructor, either. Just giving a different perspective.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For you instructors out there.... how would you have treated your student? What could I or should I have done in this instance to get a different outcome?

If you had been my student, based on what you've said, with that injury and your rank - I would have allowed you to test if you felt comfortable doing so, but I would have limited what you could do with that leg, and had you focus on technical accuracy, without power, for anything that might make the injury worse.

For example, one of my students developed pericarditis (inflammation of the sac around the heart) the week before testing, which was diagnosed at the ER; he was treated and told to take it easy... and showed up at class that night to take his written test. The physical test was the next week. After discussing it with him (and considering what his doctor said) and with the testing instructor, he did everything, for technical accuracy, but without power. Had his doctor said something else, I'd have held a special testing for him at a later time - nothing is worth risking permanent injury or illness, and certainly not rank testing.

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Sometimes, in my opinion, "suck it up, and deal with it" can mean to stand up for yourself, and make a decision in your own best interest. In real life self defense, you have to be the one to decide when it is right or wrong to fight; when it is safe or not to proceed. In the business world, you have to know when to shut up and do your job, and when to speak up and voice your opinion. In the military, soldiers have to know how to follow orders, but they also have to have the courage, and integrity to stand up against orders that are immoral.

If someone in charge tells you to do something, and you have good reason why you shouldn't follow through, speak up and let them know. Give them a chance to take into account what you know, so they can modify their directives. In the Martial Art, if the instructor still insists you perform to full capacity, they might be making a mistake (they are human too), or they might be testing you to see if you are faking it, or to see if you will have the courage to respectfully stand up for yourself and make a sound decision. "Sir, if you want me to test, I will do the best I can with the tools I have available, but I will have to respectfully insist that I avoid any techniques that could further damage my injury."

Dealing with an ongoing health issue is one thing. Ignoring slight discomfort from minor injuries, being tired, or even feeling sick can be good training provided it does not risk more serious injuries. In real life, you might have a serious injury and still have to perform to survive, so that kind of mentality can be useful, and you never know if you will be able to push through the pain if you never have had to do it. However, a smart fighter knows how to use their strengths, and avoid their own weaknesses.

I agree with the others here. Don't try to push through a serious injury and make it worse! There will be other days, and other tests. In the future, ask your instructor if it is ok to test with modified conditions to protect your injury, or if you are not ready for peak performance, then test later. Don't let anyone tell you to do something that you know is not right for your body. You are the one in charge of your own health, and you are the only one who has to live with whatever damage you do to that body for the rest of your life. Suck it up - - deal with it - - and take charge of your own life! :mst:

Respectfully,
CM D.J. Eisenhart

Latest Discussions