Injured and testing Thurs. HELP!!

CF'er

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
We are testing for our yellow belts Thurs and while in class tonight I reinjured my right leg.... pulled hamstring (muscle on the back of my thigh). I have more flexibility in my left leg than my right and this is not the first time I have done this. I have tried to stretch it and do more warm ups on that side but still hurt it.

Just asking for positive thoughts and prayers to get through this. Any advice....not going to class tomorrrow is a start.... would be appreciated too.

Glad to have found this forum and hope to be able to contribute something to it.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We are testing for our yellow belts Thurs and while in class tonight I reinjured my right leg.... pulled hamstring (muscle on the back of my thigh). I have more flexibility in my left leg than my right and this is not the first time I have done this. I have tried to stretch it and do more warm ups on that side but still hurt it.

Just asking for positive thoughts and prayers to get through this. Any advice....not going to class tomorrrow is a start.... would be appreciated too.

Glad to have found this forum and hope to be able to contribute something to it.
Go test. If your Teacher pulls you then so be it; however, tough it out otherwise. Your in TKD now, get used to leg issues.:)
Sean

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Talk to your instructor. S/he should know about the injury, and either have you test another time, or accommodate your injury. It's hard not to test when you're ready due to illness or injury, but remember - TKD will be there when you're healed; if you exacerbate the injury and it doesn't heal right, then you may not be able to stay in TKD, or participate in other activities that require full use of your leg. It's not worth it to risk that.

TKDmel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Both Kacey and TOD are right. Your instructor should be made aware of your injury, but in the long run, getting used to leg injuries is all in a days work when you are involved in TKD. I too have a hamstring that was severly injured many many years ago and it will never be the same again. I just learned to work around it. God luck however it goes for your testing.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Talk to your instructor. S/he should know about the injury, and either have you test another time, or accommodate your injury. It's hard not to test when you're ready due to illness or injury, but remember - TKD will be there when you're healed; if you exacerbate the injury and it doesn't heal right, then you may not be able to stay in TKD, or participate in other activities that require full use of your leg. It's not worth it to risk that.

My thoughts exactly! Injuries are going to happen, especially in the Martial Arts, but we also need to know when to listen to our body. :)

Mike

tkd_Jaz

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear that but you should still go. Even though you might not test, go support your classmates because they are going to be there for you the next time you need a little motivation and it shows a lot of commitment on your part. Make sure that your instructor knows though.

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Tell your instructor, discuss with them exactly at what point it hurts, they might be able to talk to the examiner on the day and explain that you have an injury. Most examiners should allow for this at yellow belt level. they might even suggest you go straight for the re-test date instead.

On the day do warm up the leg properly, stretch it gently and get a feel for how much it's hurting then if you've got a chance report to your instructor before the test and let them know what the status is. If you can't do the kicks at the height required do them low, you should only have a few front kicks at your stage anyway, perhaps side kicks I'm not sure of your test requrements in your affiliation. All in all, testing for yellow belt should really be a forgiving test, don't worry too much about it, the stress might cause more problems that is worth it.

OP
C

CF'er

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for all your advice. I will call my instructor today and see what he says. The jump front kick is what hurt it and what hurts the most to do.

Would wrapping it and/or putting a heat pack on it (like the thermacare heat patches) do anything for it? This would be for testing if he lets me test.

I'm trying to stretch it a little today but it's so sore. Maybe I can get by with my class performance.... LOL.

I have to go to the testing anyway.... my husband, son and daughter are all testing too. We all do classes together. I have to support them. :)

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
A heat pack might help with the pain, but do this at rest. I wouldn't try and wear one while testing, unless you contact a doctor or speak to a pharmacist and get their advice. One thing I would do if your doctor allows you to take them, is anti-inflammatories, but please don't take this as an instruction to take them, only a suggestion if you can take them. (Having done first aid I know it's a minefield suggesting medication when you aren't qualified so please don't take that as me thinking you are stupid or anything)

With my foot and past hamstring injuries, I often do a class on an extra strong anti-inflammatory plus a paracetamol and codine mix tablet. It doesn't stop the injury getting worse if you aren't careful but it sure helps you train and the stretching feels a bit easier.

Good luck to your family at the testing, and good luck to you with the leg and testing.

MSTCNC

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Get some peanut oil... and massage it into your hamstring...

Work it in for a good several minutes... and really try to massage it in...

Do this a coouple times a day until you test...

Best of luck!

PBWY & Amituofo!

Your Brother,

Andrew

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Get some peanut oil... and massage it into your hamstring...

Work it in for a good several minutes... and really try to massage it in...

Do this a coouple times a day until you test...

Best of luck!

PBWY & Amituofo!

Your Brother,

Andrew

DOH!

I misread this, and now my legs are covered in peanut BUTTER.

Hmmm. Kinky.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would seriously consider sitting this test out.

In the long term, delaying this test by a month or two won't make a difference.

Making a hamstring injury more severe by pushing yourself for a test, on the other hand, could end up something you end up rehabilitating for several months or even a year or longer.

Listen to what your body is telling you and think about the longview.

geocad

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yes, be tough but be smart too. Do not do what I did (a few weeks ago) and let your toughness and ego get the best of you prior to being healed.

I pulled my hamstring in class (over extended a back kick) and took the next week off. I thought I was healed enough to attend class at the slow and low level for kicks (some stretching felt ok and some kicks felt ok too). But my toughness and ego 'kicked' in when the kicking pads were brought out. I couldn't help it but I blasted the heck out of the pad and not only reinjured my hamstring but also injured my hip too. Now, 3 weeks after my initial injury, I'm still sore and not able to train legs.

Injuries happen so take the time to heal and do not get caught up with taking a test and getting another belt or testing with your family. Sooner or later one of them will be injured or sore and may choose to hold off on their test too. In my humble opinion, it's not worth it in the long run.

Good luck with your decision.

OP
C

CF'er

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My advice and likely not what you want to hear but sit the test out.

And why are you stretching a pulled hamstring?

It seemed like the thing to do.....:whip1:

I talked to my instructor. He told me to rest it today and see how it feels tomorrow. He told me I over extended my knee on the kick and not to do that. How do you not do that? See.... this is why I am still an Orange belt....

He has told me in the past that he will test "out of cycle". I don't know if he would in a case like this or not.... we may have to see. He also told me that in this form all kicks/punches etc are to the body level and aren't supposed to be over the head.... now he tells me. He could have let me in on that before.....

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Take it from someone who has not done this (more than once) and paid for it later. Let it heal, there will always be another test.

Yes he could/should have told you that before, but it at least appears he is sympathetic to the situation

OP
C

CF'er

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I went to the chiropractor today after work.... he is also a black belt in several MA's. I was telling him what I did and he suggested that I don't do ANY kicks on that leg for a couple of weeks. He said I could test and just not extend that leg in the front kicks just leave it chambered. He said that my instructor should understand what I am doing and why. I will talk to my instructor when I go for my testing tomorrow and see what he says.
Makes sense to me but what do I know? I'm the orange belt stretching a pulled hammie..... It is his call after all and I do respect that.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I say make the suggestion to the instructor, and see what he says. He might say you have to wait it out- which is fine, or you might be able to test, modifying the problem areas. Chances are, he'll say wait though. Don't worry- you'll test! Also, don't be so hard on yourself- we all do things like that from time to time, not meaning to.

Latest Discussions