Independent Orgs?

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do any of you belong to any good independent martial arts organizations? If so, which ones and why?

AoG

Yes, it is linked in my signature line. Basically five separate schools (Four in the U.S. in different States and one school in Australia) with a shared focus and goal got together and hashed out the details to create a governing authority for what they do and how they teach. It has worked out very well so far and we've just had our first annual seminar with plans underway for the second early next year.

OKenpo942

Purple Belt
Reaction score
:confused: Sorry, but isn't an organization dependent by its very nature? It cannot be an organization without members, right? So it is dependent on its members to even exist. Not to mention, just about all of the members in a given organization will have something in common or some kind of requirement to be in the organization. Kind of an oxymoron to me. Oh well... random thought that popped into my head after reading this. No offense intended. God bless.

James

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I run a small organization called the Ryukyu Bujutsu Hozon Shinkokai which was organized to research, promote and preserve traditional Ryukyuan martial arts including Karatedo, Kobudo & Tuite.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
A bit Off-Topic, but i may make an Independant Org whenever im a 2nd Dan (Yay, im preplanning something for 10-15 Years into the Future :D) in TKD, and versed in Boxing, and perhaps a Ground Art to round it off.

As for ones im aware of, theres an Independant Aikido Dojo in the middle of Town, here. I dont know what theyre called though.

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I would wait until you have at least a 6th Dan to start an organization.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would wait until you have at least a 6th Dan to start an organization.
I probably should have added Context. Where I Train, its roughly 10 Years between 1st and 2nd Dan. 2-5 between 2nd and 3rd. Then 1-3 Years between each one after that.

So thats roughly 20 Years between BECOMING a Black Belt, and reaching 6th Dan.
Not too Practical, is it now :p
Let alone the Time to Reach Black Belt.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The logical question to follow would be; what is the need, focus or goal of creating an organization? For some (many) it is about getting more rank. And unfortunately, particularly in the KMA's there has been a lot of org creation/closing/reopening/closing/renaming, all for the sake of getting higher rank. But it isn't necessarily limited to the KMA's. Creating (or joining) just for the sake of getting rank isn't going to be regarded by most as very legitimate.

However, creation of an organization can and does have legitimate grounds as well. I'll use our IKSDA (International Kong Soo Do Association) as an example. As mentioned above, 5 separate schools (three large and two small) got to talking on another discussion board a couple of years ago. This discussion lasted about six months and the result was the IKSDA. All of these schools had a couple of common arts i.e. TKD and HKD with some additional arts thrown into the mix for some. All of these schools focused on training from a self-defense perspective rather than sport (on does do sport as a separate venue). All of these school owners belonged to what is generally perceived as legitimate TKD & HKD orgs but in many ways these orgs didn't represent the true focus of the school. In otherwords, most of these orgs centered on sport. Ranks ranged between first for students) and seventh Dan with an average time in the arts for each school owner being 25+ years (43 years was the maximum). We all felt that we had enough time in the arts to successfully create a governing authority that we could all abide by for a sense of unity and commonality. After much discussion we decided upon the label of Kong Soo Do for the art (strikes, kicks, locks, balance displacement, throws, chokes, cavity pressing, separating muscle & tendon etc). We implemented a rank structure and guidelines.

We are small, but we are successful in that we have achieved our goal(s). Will we grow? Doesn't matter really. Others of a like mind are welcome to join us, but we aren't dependent upon it. One thing that separates us from the other ten million orgs on the net...we've never actually charged for membership other than the actual cost of printing the membership package i.e. cert and S&H. We're about unity rather than lining pockets. I don't think a lot of orgs can truthfully claim that these days.

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I probably should have added Context. Where I Train, its roughly 10 Years between 1st and 2nd Dan. 2-5 between 2nd and 3rd. Then 1-3 Years between each one after that.

So thats roughly 20 Years between BECOMING a Black Belt, and reaching 6th Dan.
Not too Practical, is it now :p
Let alone the Time to Reach Black Belt.
Normal time frame. Welcome to the martial arts. With my organization because of my rank the vice president position is held by one of my instructors who is a 9th Dan with 45 years in the arts, another gentlemen who also has over 40 years and is also a 9th dan holds a board of directors position. They came together and awarded me 7th Dan and I started training in 1984. Just as an example.

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree growth is not out goal either just quality and like minded karateka coming together for a common cause.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Normal time frame. Welcome to the martial arts. With my organization because of my rank the vice president position is held by one of my instructors who is a 9th Dan with 45 years in the arts, another gentlemen who also has over 40 years and is also a 9th dan holds a board of directors position. They came together and awarded me 7th Dan and I started training in 1984. Just as an example.
Oh i know its a Normal Time Frame - But id rather not be in my Mid to Late 30s. Granted, 6th Dan or so may perhaps be better, if i was specifically Training that Art. But if thats what i wanted to do, i could as easily just go and be Sole Instructer somewere.

I could expand on the properties of Rank, and what Understanding ought be needed - But all ill say is, that there are surely things you have learnt over those whole Years, which you have taught to Students in Days. Could it perhaps be said, that if you are Instructed by an Older, more Experienced Teacher, that you can more of their Knowledge in a shorter time span to what they did?

Things like that aside, it is also a matter of the Intention of what is being taught. And id mainly just want to retain the Militaristic form of TKD, with Boxing added in for Flavor, and some Ground Stuff as a round edge. At this stage, anyway.
But overall, im sure you dont entirely perhaps Need such high Rank, to be capable of Teaching. Granted, if you were aiming at the "Wise and Knowledgeable" approach, Yes. Id just aim for "Effective". Neednt be overcomplicated.

But again - Time will tell.

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Just checked your profile and I understand you thought process better. Being a beginner you have not yet discovered what time does for your skill and knowledge. As one of my Sensei's says there really is not any advanced technique just basics applied differently and better. Good luck with your training and keep working hard.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just checked your profile and I understand you thought process better. Being a beginner you have not yet discovered what time does for your skill and knowledge. As one of my Sensei's says there really is not any advanced technique just basics applied differently and better. Good luck with your training and keep working hard.

Well, for what its worth, I am Aware of what Time does. I could go into that, but theres no need.

All I actually care about in this Regard is Age. Which is why I frequently said, "Time Will Tell". I WILL know when im Experienced Enough. And I wont Bias that Decision*.
Right now, im only Estimating Time Spans. I may well be more than 6th Dan before I meet My Own Standards.

:)

*By which I mean, that I Refuse to Lower My Own Standard of what a Teacher should be, just to suit Myself. I think that 10-15 Years starting from Black Belt would be enough to meet that end Now, but... Time will Tell. And Time may also Alter my Idealogy, surely.

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I am always trying to improve my technique and understanding of it. The better I understand the technique the better it works for me. Don't ever think you can't do better, strive for it and what you think you standard is could be very small compared to what could be.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Do any of you belong to any good independent martial arts organizations? If so, which ones and why?

AoG
I just got away from an independent org. I run an independent kendo school and teach Korean sword under my own auspices at a hapkido school. If that makes me an independent org, then I'd like to think that its a good one. :p

Latest Discussions