Independant Or With An Organization

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, how is this not an "organization"?

Also, could someone clarify the difference between an organization and "independence" for me? If having thousands of members and clubs "all over the place" is being independent then what's the difference?

Pax,

Chris
I class it as independent because our GM is the controlling body. I regard affiliation to an org where many different clubs, run independently of each other and each with their own GM are members of the same org such as the kukkiwon for example. I say our club is independent because we dont answer to a higher body and all students are graded by the same GM and chief instructor.

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I can understand this being the case with arts such as tkd, where the term tkd is just too broad. I do tkd (not kukki tkd) and if I trained at a kukki club they would just laugh at me and tell me start over as a white belt. Yet if a kukki black belt came to our club to train Id say he would be starting over from white belt. Neither is better than the other but the term 'tkd' is just too broad these days.

Actually, the truth is that sadly, there is a local school with a bit of a rep as a belt factory. From all accounts the guy that runs the place is really nice. We get some kids here and there from the others schools around because the Y used to charge $35 a month and no testing fees (now it's free for members). We even had a young 'junior black belt' switch to us from the aforementioned school. He was not good enough, not even close, to what we would have passed for a BB. But, we let him keep rank, be at the head of the line over our own students, and treated him no different that anyone that had been training with us since they started. He realized pretty quick that my head instructor had a different standard, and unfortunately the kid decided that being held to a higher standard wasn't for him.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd say verifiable lineage may equal legitimacy, and perhaps within a specific art, an organization may indeed equal legitimacy (given the caliber of the organization you are a part of, it is no wonder you would hold organizations in esteem).

But, with respect, I must disagree with you in saying so without any qualifiers. As I stated previously, all organizations are not equal.

I can affiliate with any number of organizations that will list me at whatever rank I tell them I am, furnish me with documentation of said rank, rank certificates for my students, and organizational patches, all upon receipt of my payment. I may indeed be 'legitimate' in having earned my rank in the art or arts that I claim to have earned it in...

..or I could be a super-soke of Takiya-Moni Ryu, a pan-system ryu (you know, techniques of all arts found in one) who's MA cred is based on twenty home study courses. Or just stuff I made up.

Then there are organizations that are based entirely upon fraud. Such as guys claiming to have learned the art of the Okinawan royal court or US based organizations that issue "sokeships" to applicants who pay into the org.

Also, with organizations comes the inevitable falsification of organizational credentials, creation of new organziations (I'm not part of yours so I'll start my own and be 9th dan), and the preoccupation of rank within an organization, both on the part of students and on the part of school owners who's next rank depends on how many black belts his school churns out. Five will get you ten that he becomes a blackbelt factory in order to ascend the organization.

Organizations equal rank, structure, and maybe a specific curriculum, and possible a tournament circuit. They do not automatically equal legitimacy.

For the record, I am not anti-organization. But I am also aware that there are indeed potential pitfalls.

Daniel

Of course, one would hope that if someone inquired about joining a particular org., that the head of that org would make sure said person was what they claimed. Ex: Lets say I wanted to join Larry Tatums Kenpo Assoc. I tell Larry I'm a 3rd degree BB, which in fact I am. Will he check this to ensure that I really am? Will he just take my word for it? Could I lie and say I'm a 6th?

If you weren't part of an organization and someone questioned who you were and what you do, you would say exactly what you just did; "my senseis were students of Mr. Nishiyama who was a student of Mr. Funakoshi." You answer lies in your lineage, not that you art part of some larger association, again it is that student teacher relationship.

Good point. :) Now, not that this is always important, although to some I'm sure it is, but how is the issue of rank handled with an indep. vs. an org.? Again, for myself, I view this as when it happens, it happens. Of course, as we all know, some people look forward to getting new rank.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Of course, one would hope that if someone inquired about joining a particular org., that the head of that org would make sure said person was what they claimed. Ex: Lets say I wanted to join Larry Tatums Kenpo Assoc. I tell Larry I'm a 3rd degree BB, which in fact I am. Will he check this to ensure that I really am? Will he just take my word for it? Could I lie and say I'm a 6th?
Absolutely there are wonderful and reputable organizations out there. The Kukkiwon even has that handy dandy poom/dan check mechanism on their site.

My point was that simply being in an organization is no guarantee of legitimacy. Most often, affiliated schools will be with a legitimate organization, but even within an organization, you have the potential for belt factories, inept instructors, and cronyism. Ultimately, it comes down to the school. If the school is good, an organization is icing on the cake. If the school is lousy, it really doesn't matter how good the organization is.

Good point. :) Now, not that this is always important, although to some I'm sure it is, but how is the issue of rank handled with an indep. vs. an org.? Again, for myself, I view this as when it happens, it happens. Of course, as we all know, some people look forward to getting new rank.
Most independents, from what I have seen, have simply duplicated the rank processes with which they are familiar, insuring that they hold a 'rank' that is high enough to give out those promotions. In some cases, the independent simply declares him or herself to be the rank that they earned prior to breaking off. In other cases, they simply declare themselves ninth dan due to being the head of the organization and promote as needed.

Daniel

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We've honored rank from students that joined our class from other local schools before. Never had one with any rank last in our class though. Hmm....
They acheived rank under different circumstances. We start everyone with the yellow belt material, they may wear what ever color belt they need to, but they are still white belts.
Sean

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
They acheived rank under different circumstances. We start everyone with the yellow belt material, they may wear what ever color belt they need to, but they are still white belts.
Sean

Yes. Honoring rank is silly imo. I may hold a black belt in KJJR jujutsu (I don't, but bear with me) but if I join a BJJ dojo, that black belt does not have the same meaning as a BJJ black belt. If I am treated / held to the expectations of a BJJ black belt, it would be no wonder I failed.

Tanemura sensei himself keeps training under a different sensei. And whn he started, he just started with the beginners at the beginning of the line, and not as a 'grandmaster' at the end of the line.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We've honored rank from students that joined our class from other local schools before. Never had one with any rank last in our class though. Hmm....
Local schools of the same art as yours? Local schools of the same art within the same organization as yours?

A black belt from a different art may find that the art your school is teaching is not for them. Certainly, my kumdo and hapkido experience would give me little to no benefit in a karate or taekwondo school with regards to knowing the curriculum; we don't do forms in hapkido and our approach is different than that of taekwondo. Kumdo is even further removed.

A Kukki blackbelt and WTF competition champ (continuous fighting) would be at a huge disadvantage (at least initially) in a karate-esqe and point/stop taekwondo school. The forms would be different, the sparring would be different, and some of the techniques will be either different or executed differently. If that student is looking to simply find another school that was similar to his/her previous school without having to start fresh, then no, they are not likely to last; they'll leave as soon as they find what they are looking for.

If the local area schools are all belt factories or McDojos, then likewise, their belts are representative of a different type of training (no comment on what I think of the training at a belt factory or a McDojo).

Daniel

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Most independents, from what I have seen, have simply duplicated the rank processes with which they are familiar, insuring that they hold a 'rank' that is high enough to give out those promotions. In some cases, the independent simply declares him or herself to be the rank that they earned prior to breaking off. In other cases, they simply declare themselves ninth dan due to being the head of the organization and promote as needed.

Daniel

So in other words, they promote themselves. :D Of course, IMHO, anyone who is seriously considering training, should do their homework. I dont know, for me, I think its important to have some sort of source to go to.

Question: Is it possible for an indy, to go to a source for training and possibly rank, and not be a part of that sources org? I probably know the answer to this already, but figured I'd get a 2nd opinion. :) I suppose it goes back to what was talked about in this thread.

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The 2 local schools besides me are ATA and an independent that got his BB from the ATA school. ATA is bigger than WTF in my little corner of the world somehow.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The 2 local schools besides me are ATA and an independent that got his BB from the ATA school. ATA is bigger than WTF in my little corner of the world somehow.
How does your curriculum differ from an ATA school? What forms are you using? Are your sparring rules the same?

Daniel

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So in other words, they promote themselves. :D Of course, IMHO, anyone who is seriously considering training, should do their homework. I dont know, for me, I think its important to have some sort of source to go to.
To an extent, I agree. Having a source is important, but an organization does not always make the best source; just look at the state of taekwondo. Three big orgs and plenty of daycare centers masquerading as MA schools under their auspices. Outside of taekwondo, there is plenty of bad-budo with organizational backing.

Regarding customers doing their homework, I agree 100%. Customers need to be aware, however that there are disreputable or simply incapable schools within reputable organizations. Also, some organizational affiliations are misleading. I am certified as a Kukkiwon yudanja. But the Kukkiwon will not cerify my school. The WTF does not have member schools. You can be a USAT school, but USAT is essentially a sport TKD organization. Not an athlete with dreams of olympic gold? USAT affiiliation really doesn't do you any good then.

Question: Is it possible for an indy, to go to a source for training and possibly rank, and not be a part of that sources org? I probably know the answer to this already, but figured I'd get a 2nd opinion. :) I suppose it goes back to what was talked about in this thread.
I'd say yes, it is possible; the school owner may be ranked in an organization and train with a master in that organization but may, for whatever reason, have chosen to maintain his or her studio as an independent, issuing only 'school certificates' with no organizational involvement at all. Or the school owner may have simply been studying for years from another indepenent master who's lineage goes straight to the founder.

Daniel

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score

Well, in Kenpo, my instructor's instructor did just that. He was originally ranked through the Tracy's, then spent something like 15 years without a promotion, then decided that he needed more, went back, found an American Kenpo instructor, studied under him for several years, and did about two promotions through that instructor over that time frame, and just now got promoted by Al Tracy for his latest grade. All the time maintaining an independent status.

That AK instructor who promoted him actually lost senior students because he promoted this "outsider" to dan/black ranks ahead of his inner circle, without doing their curricullum. His response was essentially "when you know your system as well as he knows his you will get promoted as well." Which isn't to say my instructor didn't learn anything, only that most of what he was tested on was material already in the system.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
To an extent, I agree. Having a source is important, but an organization does not always make the best source; just look at the state of taekwondo. Three big orgs and plenty of daycare centers masquerading as MA schools under their auspices. Outside of taekwondo, there is plenty of bad-budo with organizational backing.

True. Then again, is it fair to lump every org into the same bag of apples as TKD? This may not be the best example, but it was the first thing that came to mind. I'll use the X-Kans (Bujinkan, Genbukan, Jinenkan) as examples. Upon initial look, it seems as if the Buj is in complete disarray. One of the main issues I've seen people talk about is the QC. Yet while there are garbage clips on YT, and teachers who seem to have poor technique, there are some top notch folks out there.

If we look at the other two (Genbukan and Jinenkan) it seems that the people in charge of those groups, run a much tighter ship. For the record, I'm not a member of any of those groups, however, upon looking at them, it seems that their standards are higher.

Regarding customers doing their homework, I agree 100%. Customers need to be aware, however that there are disreputable or simply incapable schools within reputable organizations. Also, some organizational affiliations are misleading. I am certified as a Kukkiwon yudanja. But the Kukkiwon will not cerify my school. The WTF does not have member schools. You can be a USAT school, but USAT is essentially a sport TKD organization. Not an athlete with dreams of olympic gold? USAT affiiliation really doesn't do you any good then.

And whos fault is that? Using the example above, one would have to wonder if the head guys keep a tight reign over the other schools.

I'd say yes, it is possible; the school owner may be ranked in an organization and train with a master in that organization but may, for whatever reason, have chosen to maintain his or her studio as an independent, issuing only 'school certificates' with no organizational involvement at all. Or the school owner may have simply been studying for years from another indepenent master who's lineage goes straight to the founder.

Daniel

Ok. :)

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, in Kenpo, my instructor's instructor did just that. He was originally ranked through the Tracy's, then spent something like 15 years without a promotion, then decided that he needed more, went back, found an American Kenpo instructor, studied under him for several years, and did about two promotions through that instructor over that time frame, and just now got promoted by Al Tracy for his latest grade. All the time maintaining an independent status.

That AK instructor who promoted him actually lost senior students because he promoted this "outsider" to dan/black ranks ahead of his inner circle, without doing their curricullum. His response was essentially "when you know your system as well as he knows his you will get promoted as well." Which isn't to say my instructor didn't learn anything, only that most of what he was tested on was material already in the system.

See, IMO, thats the big difference. He studied under the other teacher for several years, vs. doing what I was talking about in that other thread I linked....training under someone every now and then vs. on a regular basis.

When I started at my current school, which teaches Tracy material, while much of that material was very similar to what I already knew from the Parker system, I still worked for over 2yrs, with my teacher, taking both privates and group classes. I then took a test.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
True. Then again, is it fair to lump every org into the same bag of apples as TKD?
I don't lump them together so much as use the TKD orgs as an example of where being associated with a large organization is not necessarily an indicator of quality or even solid lineage. There are many excellent instructors, schools, and school owners with KKW credentials. Most of taekwondo's issues have to do with the fact that there are far more taekwondo schools than there are of other arts, which has been very enticing to entrepreneurs.

And whos fault is that? Using the example above, one would have to wonder if the head guys keep a tight reign over the other schools.
Not a question of fault; the Kukkiwon doesn't certify any schools at all. It certifies the rank of individuals and establishes the curriculum that those individuals should be versed in. Individuals ranked at fourth dan or higher may sign dan certificates up to second dan, and thus may run their own school. Anyone may teach Kukki Taekwondo, certified or not.

Because the Kukkiwon and the WTF do not certify schools, they do not keep a reign on them. USAT really doesn't certify them either; you pay dues to have access to USAT benefits and to be able to compete in USAT events at a national and/or international level. USAT also offers club insurance to clubs with more than a set number of students. But they don't tell you how to run your school and are really more of a sports org than an MA org.

With TKD, people really do not have a good understanding of how the organizations relate to the schools, which can create inaccurate perceptions.

In reality, a fourth dan or higher KKW yudanja can run what amounts to an independent school. All that the Kukkiwon does is certify rank. But unless someone does their homework, they won't be aware of that and will likely assume that the Kukkiwon has a much greater hand in the network of taekwondo studios.

Daniel

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
How does your curriculum differ from an ATA school? What forms are you using? Are your sparring rules the same?

Daniel

We were actually ATA back in the day, until they got too greedy for my instructors taste. We do the Chang Hon formset (which ATA used originally). We teach the fundamentals, we don't stray to far into the super flashy stuff. Sparring in class is above the belt, no shots to the back or face. Rest of head is fair game.

I honestly can't tell you WHAT they are teaching at the local schools. Wait, I do have a student I stole from one, he learned how to do a front roll and break a board. He couldn't show me a T stance or a proper front kick when he showed up at my school. So I guess they teach breaking on the first night and not stances.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't lump them together so much as use the TKD orgs as an example of where being associated with a large organization is not necessarily an indicator of quality or even solid lineage. There are many excellent instructors, schools, and school owners with KKW credentials. Most of taekwondo's issues have to do with the fact that there are far more taekwondo schools than there are of other arts, which has been very enticing to entrepreneurs.

Not a question of fault; the Kukkiwon doesn't certify any schools at all. It certifies the rank of individuals and establishes the curriculum that those individuals should be versed in. Individuals ranked at fourth dan or higher may sign dan certificates up to second dan, and thus may run their own school. Anyone may teach Kukki Taekwondo, certified or not.

Because the Kukkiwon and the WTF do not certify schools, they do not keep a reign on them. USAT really doesn't certify them either; you pay dues to have access to USAT benefits and to be able to compete in USAT events at a national and/or international level. USAT also offers club insurance to clubs with more than a set number of students. But they don't tell you how to run your school and are really more of a sports org than an MA org.

With TKD, people really do not have a good understanding of how the organizations relate to the schools, which can create inaccurate perceptions.

In reality, a fourth dan or higher KKW yudanja can run what amounts to an independent school. All that the Kukkiwon does is certify rank. But unless someone does their homework, they won't be aware of that and will likely assume that the Kukkiwon has a much greater hand in the network of taekwondo studios.

Daniel

So, in a nutshell, it sounds like it all comes down to the money. You pay dues, you get to use the fancy dressing that comes with the dues, but nobody cares about the quality of the schools. I mean, if someone was actually concerned with the quality *gasp* of their schools, vs. just being concerned with the $$$ flow, then you'd think that you'd want every school to be top notch.

How does it look for the head guy to have 20 schools, 5 teach above average, 5 are so-so, and the other 10 totally suck?

I mean, are there no standards that people have to live up to? Again, I'll go back to the 3 Kans that I used. As I said, I'm a member of none of them, but it seems that the Gen and Jin have a tighter reign on their schools thru-out the world. Again, I can't confirm/deny this, as I'm only going on what I read. Perhaps a member of those schools could chime in on the quality. IIRC, Bruno is a member of one of them. :)

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So, in a nutshell, it sounds like it all comes down to the money. You pay dues, you get to use the fancy dressing that comes with the dues, but nobody cares about the quality of the schools. I mean, if someone was actually concerned with the quality *gasp* of their schools, vs. just being concerned with the $$$ flow, then you'd think that you'd want every school to be top notch.
Not exactly. The Kukkiwon was never designed to regulate schools. They were originally meant to provide a common ground for all KMA; take these minimums and add to them your unique curriculum. That way every KMA would have had a central rank registry and every KMA would have had an overlap of common ground. Didn't work out that way, as many KMA kwans did not sign on.

The Kukkiwon does provide a means of checking someone's rank, so it is useful to verify that the guy who claims to be a KKW 6th dan really is a KKW 6th dan. There are no annual fees for Kukkiwon or WTF services.

As far as USAT goes, you pay your dues, which translates into a tournament circuit and various member services. USAT was also never designed to police schools. They are an athletic organization and could care less about what your curriculum is. They are the US affiliate of the WTF, an international athletics organization.

Every Kukkiwon school is essentially an independent school. The curriculum is nof forcefed to the schools and if you want your students to wear pink doboks with purple belts, that is your prerogetive.

How does it look for the head guy to have 20 schools, 5 teach above average, 5 are so-so, and the other 10 totally suck?
If the schools are actual organization schools, then it looks inconsistent. Regarding the KKW, they don't "have" any schools; only people who choose to teach their curriculum and receive certification in it. Kind of like being certified in CPR, Turbokick, or ASE certified; none of those groups own your shop or the shop you work for. Your shop stands or falls on its own.

Being a 4th dan or higher KKW instructor simply means that you are essentially 'certified' to have been practicing the curriculum for roughly at least eight years, to teach and to promote students up to second dan. It does not make you a certified instructor; there are Kukkiwon instructors' courses as well. Take an instructors' course and you are then certified as having taken the instructor's course, which essentially certifies you as a Kukkiwon instructor in addition to being certified as 4th dan or higher.

I mean, are there no standards that people have to live up to?
Yes; those standards are set by the individual school based upon the Kukkiwon curriculum. This is partly because the individual schools can, and often do, have additional curriculum; KKW's core curriculum is comparatively sparse. Though it is more thorough than many think, it still includes no grapples, ground fighting, joint locks, or weapons. Above a certain dan grade (fifth and higher I believe), individuals must test at the Kukkiwon. At least in my area, and from what I've seen on the web, most school owners teaching KKW curriculum are fifth dan an up.

This model is very different from many organizations that have a more hands on relationship with member schools. But most people assume that if the owner has a KKW plaque on the wall that such a hands on relationship between the organizaiton and the school exists.

Then you have organizations that allow you to join and pay annual dues without having trained in their organization from the beginning. Such as several orgs that do video learning; join the org, send them copies of your current certifications (sometimes; others use the honor system) pay the dues, and get the DVD's with the curriculum, school flags, plaques, patches, and blank certificates for you to use for your students' promotions.

This is what I mean by people needing to do their homework. Most Americans simply assume that these organizations are structured like organizations that they are already familiar with, such as retail chains, franchises, and league sports, all of which have a greater degree of power over the indivudual stores or teams. Some MA orgs may have such structure, but certainly not all of them, perhaps not even most of them.

I felt that the Kukkiwon was a good example of such an org because they are huge and schools teaching Kukki taekwondo outnumber those teaching many other arts combined. They also outnumber the school quanitity of other taekwondo organizations. And lets not forget how many taekwondo schools say 'karate' on the door, serving to confuse things even further.

Daniel

Last edited:
OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not exactly. The Kukkiwon was never designed to regulate schools. They were originally meant to provide a common ground for all KMA; take these minimums and add to them your unique curriculum. That way every KMA would have had a central rank registry and every KMA would have had an overlap of common ground. Didn't work out that way, as many KMA kwans did not sign on.

The Kukkiwon does provide a means of checking someone's rank, so it is useful to verify that the guy who claims to be a KKW 6th dan really is a KKW 6th dan. There are no annual fees for Kukkiwon or WTF services.

As far as USAT goes, you pay your dues, which translates into a tournament circuit and various member services. USAT was also never designed to police schools. They are an athletic organization and could care less about what your curriculum is. They are the US affiliate of the WTF, an international athletics organization.

Every Kukkiwon school is essentially an independent school. The curriculum is nof forcefed to the schools and if you want your students to wear pink doboks with purple belts, that is your prerogetive.

If the schools are actual organization schools, then it looks inconsistent. Regarding the KKW, they don't "have" any schools; only people who choose to teach their curriculum and receive certification in it. Kind of like being certified in CPR, Turbokick, or ASE certified; none of those groups own your shop or the shop you work for. Your shop stands or falls on its own.

Being a 4th dan or higher KKW instructor simply means that you are essentially 'certified' to have been practicing the curriculum for roughly at least eight years, to teach and to promote students up to second dan. It does not make you a certified instructor; there are Kukkiwon instructors' courses as well. Take an instructors' course and you are then certified as having taken the instructor's course, which essentially certifies you as a Kukkiwon instructor in addition to being certified as 4th dan or higher.

Yes; those standards are set by the individual school based upon the Kukkiwon curriculum. This is partly because the individual schools can, and often do, have additional curriculum; KKW's core curriculum is comparatively sparse. Though it is more thorough than many think, it still includes no grapples, ground fighting, joint locks, or weapons. Above a certain dan grade (fifth and higher I believe), individuals must test at the Kukkiwon. At least in my area, and from what I've seen on the web, most school owners teaching KKW curriculum are fifth dan an up.

This model is very different from many organizations that have a more hands on relationship with member schools. But most people assume that if the owner has a KKW plaque on the wall that such a hands on relationship between the organizaiton and the school exists.

Then you have organizations that allow you to join and pay annual dues without having trained in their organization from the beginning. Such as several orgs that do video learning; join the org, send them copies of your current certifications (sometimes; others use the honor system) pay the dues, and get the DVD's with the curriculum, school flags, plaques, patches, and blank certificates for you to use for your students' promotions.

This is what I mean by people needing to do their homework. Most Americans simply assume that these organizations are structured like organizations that they are already familiar with, such as retail chains, franchises, and league sports, all of which have a greater degree of power over the indivudual stores or teams. Some MA orgs may have such structure, but certainly not all of them, perhaps not even most of them.

I felt that the Kukkiwon was a good example of such an org because they are huge and schools teaching Kukki taekwondo outnumber those teaching many other arts combined. They also outnumber the school quanitity of other taekwondo organizations. And lets not forget how many taekwondo schools say 'karate' on the door, serving to confuse things even further.

Daniel

Ok, thanks for your reply. :) So, it seems then that what you mention above really doesnt seem to fit the description or at least how I view, an organization. I mean, it seems like they are, to a point, but again, it doesnt seem like they're monitoring things.

Hey, people are free to do as they wish. I just feel that as far as certain things go, being under someone is a plus.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ok, thanks for your reply. :) So, it seems then that what you mention above really doesnt seem to fit the description or at least how I view, an organization. I mean, it seems like they are, to a point, but again, it doesnt seem like they're monitoring things.
Yes to all of the above. But to the uninformed customer, the assumption is that the Kukkiwon is like other orgs and does monitor things at the school level.

Hey, people are free to do as they wish. I just feel that as far as certain things go, being under someone is a plus.
Absolutely. There are certainly pros and cons to the KKW approach, just as there are pros and cons to the more hand on organization approach. All depends on what you are looking for. The obvious advantage for the school owner is that they can maintain a great deal of independence regarding the curriculum: teach this plus whatever you want. Outside of that, they can do as they wish. Geub grades are not tracked, so if you wanted to teach Kukki TKD and have white belts and black belts only, you could do that, though it would be very unusual.

The obvious disadvantage is all of the above; the school has a great deal of latitude with nobody to say, 'hey, you can't do that.'

To be fair, most Kukkiwon masters are under another master (whoever trained them), and in fairness, the consistency of curriculum in schools run by KKW masters is pretty good. Quality of instruction? Check out the school and sit in on a few lessons before signing on.

Daniel

Latest Discussions