I'm sorry, but this whole "Anti-Grappling" thing horrifies me

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well its pretty hard to sub a mostly naked and sweaty guy who is just as good at grappling as you are. It's additionally tough when the ref will stand you up if there's no "action" going on. Quite a bit different than a SD situation right?

That said, I think this is a good topic drop bear. I'll start a new thread about it. :)

But if you are on the ground too long on the street ninjas jump out of trees and attack you.

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
But if you are on the ground too long on the street ninjas jump out of trees and attack you.
I've had this happen. I got the crap beat out me. I was 18 and curled up in the fetal position. I went to my happy place while six guys tee'd off on me. Kicking field goals laces out. I was winning the fight one on one even on the ground. Them boom! Was a pool hall across the street the ninjas came from.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I'll take my chances with the street ninjas over the guy on top of me punching me in the face repeatedly.

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'll take my chances with the street ninjas over the guy on top of me punching me in the face repeatedly.
Famous last words before coma? Right before guys friend kicks you in the head with steel toe timberlands? The 90's gotta love that decade? Do people still wear timberlands?

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have nothing to say, I just want to see this puppy roll over to 16 pages....who's with me?...........
Anyone?........
Hello?..........

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
Nope! So close I can feel it! We need the grapplers to help? I think I know how to get them back on board..... Wing Chun has the best "anti grappling" and the Op video will destroy all takedowns??????? Come on guys come back?

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Nope! So close I can feel it! We need the grapplers to help? I think I know how to get them back on board..... Wing Chun has the best "anti grappling" and the Op video will destroy all takedowns??????? Come on guys come back?

No problem, Jake. I'll pretend that I'm an irate grappler and go find a video or something that I can show (mostly out of context) to trollishly get all the WC guys riled up. Then I can change roles and get really offended at myself. :p

Give me a few minutes to go and dig up some dirt....

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
OK ...how's this to get us onto page 16 and beyond...

From Wing Tsun Welt (Wing Tsun World), the online bulletin/newsletter of the EWTO (the same organization the Victor Gutierrez, the guy shown in the OP used to represent) comes this article written by a man with no vowels in his last name, Stefan Crnko:

Interview with Sifu Stefan Crnko about the BlitzCombat WingTsun-Programme WingTsun-World - The Magazine of the EWTO

For those of you with little patience for reading such a long article, the part that I found interesting and relevant was where Crnko addresses groundfighting. Among other things, he is quoted with the response below:

Does this mean you don’t teach groundfighting?
"No, I must have expressed myself unclearly. I only teach WT people very little ground-wrestling. Instead I show how pure WT methods (blows, kicks, Chi-Sao), and especially elbows and knees, can be used on the ground to make life difficult for wrestlers …
In short: I teach a anti-groundfighting, i.e. WT methods that can be used against typical wrestling attacks on the ground!"

Now, if you go to youtube and check out videos of Crnko's cage fights, you will find that he is a powerful man, a strong WC striker who had some success. You will also see what happenned when he was taken to the ground (save some time and skip ahead to about 3:00):

There. Don't bother to read the rest of the article, or consider that Crnko learned a lot more about grappling after this experience. A reasonable and measured approach will never get us onto page 16!!!

On the other hand, I should point out that while the article in its entirety does value grappling in sport, Crnko still insists that WT for self defense is a complete system and has it's own solutions to a grappling attack. Unfortunately, when going up against a guy as big and strong as he is, and particularly, a guy with some grappling skill, Crnko's pure WT training didn't work out so well.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions