I'm Back!

Yeti

Black Belt
Reaction score
About a year ago, 8 months before my black belt test (for 1st Dan) I realized that I belonged to your typical McDojang. We did no hosinsul, no one/three step sparring, very little sparring in general and no one seemed to know any applications for any of the moves in the forms (WTF Taeguk patterns).

Well, I decided to quit the school since to me, my 1st Dan from this school would not have been worth the paper the certificate was printed on. I spent the next 14 months absolutely soured on TKD..didn't want anything to do with it and felt it was an awful martial art with no real world application.

Boy was I wrong! On a whim, I stopped into a local school a few weeks ago to check it out. Don't know why I did it, but I'm glad I did. In this school - also a WTF school - we do Hosinsul, all types of sparring and spend considerable time on forms AND their applications. I feel completely vindicated and am once again excited about my TKD training because to me this school shows what TKD really is...a complete martial art. I'm ashamed to say I lost sight of that, but I'm glad I found my way back.

If there's anyone out there suffering a similar fate, don't give up...do some research of schools in your area and find one that suits your needs. You may need to travel a bit to get there, but the extra effort will definitely be worth it!

Tae Kwon!

-Mike

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Congratulations Mike! Happy to hear you found a new school that teaches the entire art the right way.

Miles

K

Kempogeek

Congrats and good luck Mike!! When you do test for black belt, this time it will be more meaningful. If only all schools of every discipline were like that. Course only in a perfect world would that ever happen. Maybe then the martial arts wouldn't a joke to most people. But who cares what other people think as long as MA's like us preserve and respect our chosen discipline. Again congratulations! Best regards, Steve

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Way to go Mike you are about to join the ranks of the TKD community in a whole a great way of life.

Latest Discussions