Basic Forms 1-8??

J

Jrush

SaBum Nim asked me the other day if I would be ready for the belt test coming up. He gave me list of the requirments which I know most but the basic forms 1-3. Last Monday I was given a brief instruction on Form 1. I am wanting to practice at home but have a hard time remembering the steps after only doing Form 1, a few times. I was hoping someone here would know a web site to reference step by step the Basic Forms 1,2,3. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Justin

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It would help if we knew what style you were practicing WTF, ITF, ATA, etc...

Also, what style of forms, palgwe, taeguk, etc...

That being said, check here for a good start...

Yeti

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey Justin,

Try this...

http://mchenry.homeip.net/TangSooDo/forms/

I know it's a Tang Soo Do website, but it's got ITF and WTF TKD forms as well...

Kee-Cho Il Bu is Basic 1 as I know it (I'm WTF). Kee-Cho Ee Bu and Sam Bu as shown may be different than what you do ( they're both different than what I do) so check that before you go too far. Hopefully this helps. If for nothing else it will serve as a good reference as you move forward.

Good luck on your test! Your SaBum Nim wouldn't have asked you if he didn't think you were ready.

-Mike

OP
J

Jrush

Here is an excert from my DoJang's web site maybe this will help to tell what types. SaBum Nim says that we are affiliated with IMAF & WTF, but we do not do WTF style fighting we do ITF style fighting (point based) which is kind of confusing from what I read on the web, etc. and learn in class. When I first asked him about WTF/ITF etc he said that he teaches Martial Arts not Sports.. which is another thing that throws me off of the WTF/ITF thing.

Martial Art Philosophy and History

Training is essential in the development of a martial artist. For the true martial artists, training is divided into four basic categories: (1) Hyungs or forms; (2) Dae Ryun or fighting; (3) Breaking; and (4) self-defense. Without a proper balance of these four categories in the martial artist's training, the developmental foundation will be weak.

Hyungs or forms are unquestionably the nucleus of martial arts training from which the other three basic categories grow and flourish. Jack Hwang teaches to the novice students the "kicho" series of basic forms, which follow an identifiable H pattern. These forms tell a story of man's struggle on earth to reach a higher force and teach the student patience by constant repetition of the pattern. These basic forms are training forms and are more than 1400 years old. Students under black belt also learn the "Plaguye" (sometimes referenced as "Pal-gwe") forms. There are eight of these forms and they, like the Kicho forms, tell a type of story or philosophy pertaining to the elements or forces of nature or the universe.
  • Palguye 1 - Represents heaven as the beginning or learning of life.
  • Palguye 2 - Represents joyfulness in life and the importance of that state of mind.
  • Palguye 3 - Represent fire, which reveals the passion for the art and quickness in applied technique.
  • Palguye 4 - Represents thunder, teaching the martial artist to be calm in the face of fear and danger.
  • Palguye 5 - Represents the wind which teaches the student to be gentle, and at times destructive, if necessary.
  • Palguye 6 - Represents water and teaches the student that, like water which never loses its composure, he can overcome any problem without sacrificing his state of being.
  • Plaguye 7 - Represents mountains which teaches the student stability and to build majestic character.
  • Plaguye 8 - Represents the earth, which is a collective summary of the philosophy of the preceding forms. At this stage, the student is prepared to begin a transition to black belt and further learning of Hyung.
At the Jack Hwang Institute, the martial artist who achieves black belt then begins to study advanced hyungs or forms sanctioned by the Kukkiwon, which is located in South Korea. These forms also develop the martial artist's technique and patience, and tell a particular story or philosophy found in life. Likewise, the black belt learns the ancient hyungs or forms originating many hundreds of years ago in China. In particular, the black belt learns from Jack Hwang original forms, which migrated from the Shaolin Temple, as well as forms conceived in the Myung Dynasty.

OP
J

Jrush

Just wanted to add that before class tonight SaBum Nim gave me some lessons in history behind the forms, also showed me one on one what they are and I know have the basics of 1-3.

Thanks for all that replied with info... I did look at a few of those video links.....

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
yeah different spelling but the same forms...the palgwe series...palguye, however you want to spell them...

they should be pretty easy to find on the net, but use different spellings if you're not having much luck. Remember, online resources are good for a refresher, but your instructor may teach something a bit different, so you may think you know it right after looking at the web, but it may be wrong according to what he teaches...

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree with Nick. My school does the Taeguk series. But my instructor teaches them a little different than what you would see in other WTF schools. So make sure you are doing them as your instructor teaches them before looking at any videos.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Jrush said:
SaBum Nim asked me the other day if I would be ready for the belt test coming up. He gave me list of the requirments which I know most but the basic forms 1-3. Last Monday I was given a brief instruction on Form 1. I am wanting to practice at home but have a hard time remembering the steps after only doing Form 1, a few times. I was hoping someone here would know a web site to reference step by step the Basic Forms 1,2,3. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Justin
i guess the question that I have is why would your instructor thinks you are ready to test when he has'nt taught you the forms? After all a "brief introduction" does'nt do the form justice. Has he taught you the second of third at all?
Your teacher should be the main source of knowledge, not the pattern on the weg some where!

OP
J

Jrush

It was not my direct instructor that asked me, it was the head instructor of the school, the one whom gives the belt test, SaBum Nim Hwang, whom asked me if I would be ready. When I asked the white belt SaBum Nim he said at the moment I am not ready but we still had 4 weeks until the test and would see how I progress. Since I first posted I had worked one on one with SaBum Nim Hwang on the forms and his Nephew which is a 2nd Dan, and teaches the Green/Purple belts. I have 1 & 2 down, next is 3 (which I am told is very close to the other 2 but different stances). I also have to work on my Korean terminology for the test. I almost think since I have only been going to class 3 weeks it might be best for me to wait until the next testing period so I have more time and can be 110% ready for the tests.

DuneViking

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Jrush said:
It was not my direct instructor that asked me, it was the head instructor of the school, the one whom gives the belt test, SaBum Nim Hwang, whom asked me if I would be ready. When I asked the white belt SaBum Nim he said at the moment I am not ready but we still had 4 weeks until the test and would see how I progress. Since I first posted I had worked one on one with SaBum Nim Hwang on the forms and his Nephew which is a 2nd Dan, and teaches the Green/Purple belts. I have 1 & 2 down, next is 3 (which I am told is very close to the other 2 but different stances). I also have to work on my Korean terminology for the test. I almost think since I have only been going to class 3 weeks it might be best for me to wait until the next testing period so I have more time and can be 110% ready for the tests.
Good Call,

In my opinion, humble or not at times :) , it is good to feel you are ready. I have passed on testing times at every rank to make sure I was feeling up to it. I did this so I would be the best I can be and to honor my instructor by doing more than the minimums required. Kudos to you and keep going strong!

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score
After brief check of the Jack Hwang Institute, I believe that you need to either video tape your instructor teaching you or your class. Your instructor is pretty independent so, I wouldn't put to much stock in certifications from the WTF or the ITF since, your instructor does not care to follow thier rules.

I went to one of the affliated schools for about 2 years in Texas. It just wasn't for me. I wanted to fight with WTF rules they wanted hands to head, feet to the groin. After getting kicked twice to the groin, I jabbed and broke a kids nose. Didn't like how it changed my fighting.

Latest Discussions